Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American AlexanderFan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Talkative on TideFans.com

Re: Faster tempo offense question. Causing confusion?

These offenses don't have a flow, the play is called from the sidelines AFTER the defense has lined up. The play can be called down from the box after the coverage has been seen from above, after the quarterback has snapped his head, jerked his arms, leaned back, walked forward, anything he can do to make it look like the ball is being snapped. There's too much competitive advantage for the offense in college football now, the coaches get to see the defense before hand and call a play from the sideline that automatically diagnoses it's weakness. Can you tell me how recruiting will change that?
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Faster tempo offense question. Causing confusion?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderFan View Post
    These offenses don't have a flow, the play is called from the sidelines AFTER the defense has lined up. The play can be called down from the box after the coverage has been seen from above, after the quarterback has snapped his head, jerked his arms, leaned back, walked forward, anything he can do to make it look like the ball is being snapped. There's too much competitive advantage for the offense in college football now, the coaches get to see the defense before hand and call a play from the sideline that automatically diagnoses it's weakness. Can you tell me how recruiting will change that?
    Super DBs!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The play can be called down from the box after the coverage has been seen from above, after the quarterback has snapped his head, jerked his arms, leaned back, walked forward, anything he can do to make it look like the ball is being snapped
    Even the NFL which has radios in the QB's helment is less crazy than what college football has become. The NFL has also put an end to much of the simulated snaps that Peyton Manning loved so much.

The NFL knows that 63-50 games are not good for the game, so it's not clear why some college football fans insist that these type scores are the wave of the future.
    Last edited by JeffAtlanta; November 11th, 2012 at 05:01 PM.

If this is true, why is Alabama not running this offense to gain advantage?

BamaNation All-SEC BradtheImpaler's Avatar
    My Mood
    Suspicious on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by braggtd View Post
    Part of the problem is the offense. Granted our D is not as good as last years group the offense has to get a faster start. Bama's MO is playing from ahead. When the D plays from ahead they have much more swagger and can start throwing out some exotic packages. When the offense can't score at a single point until they are down 20 - 0 that is a problem. Not sure why this team came out so heavy and flat. Reminded me 100% of the Utah game of 09. Just wasn't ready to bring it at kick off. These slow starts are a real killer. I think the D is fine. Just need the offense to start scoring some points early and stop turning the ball over.
    Quote Originally Posted by REBELZED View Post
    I think everybody is missing this point. These last two games can be blamed on our sputtering offense (see: multiple 3 and outs) as much if not more than our defense.

Sure, we have had some trouble getting off the field on D, but the D did enough to give our offense multiple chances to win the game last night and the offense did not come through. The bottom line is you can't go 3 and out over and over against a team with an offense as good as A&M and expect to win.
    I agree. The offense's lack of production really put the defense behind the eight-ball early on. Three and out followed by the interception to start the game didn't allow us to set the tone or make adjustments after A&M had set the tone. The defense had to keep running back onto the field against a frenetic attack and a quarterback that wears you out trying to cover the field.
    "In the second quarter, I saw Torretta look over at me, and he froze for a second. I saw fear."
    John Copeland

Three safties instead of three CB's were a problem.

So, we lose one game and we have to remake our defense, change the offense, recruit different type of players, change coaching philosophy, and overhaul the college rules?

My Mood

Quote Originally Posted by russtang View Post
    So, we lose one game and we have to remake our defense, change the offense, recruit different type of players, change coaching philosophy, and overhaul the college rules?
    Yes! According to our forum panel!

LOL! You'd think we'd have to have a bit broader base of evidence, wouldn't you?
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

We've been talking about the college rules for several years. It didn't start yesterday.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    In the back of my mind I wonder if we've peaked under the present system. We have played our worst 2 game stretch dating back a pretty good ways. Probably get drilled for the thought, but we've have been riding high for an extended period. If AJ leaves, it could be a rebuilding job
    I tend to agree. I think we know that CNS's defense is predicated on stopping the run first with the 3 down linemen taking on the blocks to free up the LBs. It has proven to be effective against run based offenses, but apparently has its limitations in the pass rush. It might be a situation where we need to give up some size to get some speed since it looks as though the spread type offense is taking over college football.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

My Mood

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAtlanta View Post
    We've been talking about the college rules for several years. It didn't start yesterday.
    Not getting much airplay is it? And offenses are getting faster!

My Mood

Not even though. I think our defense has been reeling since the Ole Miss game. LSU and TAMU finished them. Truth is they need a two week rest.

Last edited by Ldlane; November 11th, 2012 at 05:23 PM.