Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Faster tempo offense question. Causing confusion?

Quote Originally Posted by Ldlane View Post
    Not getting much airplay is it?
    Sure it is. The rule to allow defenses to match offensive substitutions is one glaring example.

Even Bob Stoops has problems with all the chaos...

“It’s a nightmare,” Stoops said.

Stoops said he’s constantly asking the rules committee to check the obvious offensive advantage. He gave an example from last season. An opponent threw a deep ball 50 yards downfield. Incomplete. While OU’s two defensive backs hurried back to the line of scrimmage to set up for the next play, the intended receiver just stepped off the field, and his substitute, back upfield, stepped on. And the offense ran a play before the OU DBs were in place.
    Right now it's not considered that big of a deal because it is seen as way to level the field with the SEC. Long term, it will damage the product. 70-63 football games are just as boring as the 148-134 NBA basketball games in the past.
    Last edited by JeffAtlanta; November 11th, 2012 at 05:36 PM.

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Faster tempo offense question. Causing confusion?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAtlanta View Post
    Sure it is. The rule to allow defenses to match offensive substitutions is one glaring example.

Even Bob Stoops has problems with all the chaos...

Right now it's not considered that big of a deal because it is seen as way to level the field with the SEC. Long term, it will damage the product.
    We can continue to complain about or we can be innovative and change !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

That's the key - I think we've reached a tipping point where CNS and CKS will have to make some long-term adjustments in scheme and personnel to deal with this. Might mean some changes on O as well.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe your position gives you other options, but as a fan & a TV viewer all I can do is discuss it.

If it becomes a tv ratings issue, the networks will convince the college presidents to make a change.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood

Quote Originally Posted by JeffAtlanta View Post
    Maybe your position gives you other options, but as a fan & a TV viewer all I can do is discuss it.

If it becomes a tv ratings issue, the networks will convince the college presidents to make a change.
    Tell you the truth, it doesn't matter to me as an Alabama fan if I watch us run the Wishbone or the A-11. As long as we win titles! I mean, Football isn't "sacred" and from time to time needs to be innovative ! I think this is starting to be one of those times of change. Again, we wait on the world to change back and lose, or we can jump on the opportunity to find our own way to equalize the field!

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

I guess I shoulda used my eyeroll emoticon.

Even with the superior talent we had on D last year, we still lost a game. We aren't going to win every one.

We came out flat, we weren't ready, we made lots of mistakes.
    We were -3 in turnovers. The offense had a bad game. Playcalling was... not up to par. Didn't make good adjustments on D.
    You can say we were mentally and/or physically tired, hangover from last week or whatever.

Yet, with all that bad stuff going on, we still had an excellent chance to win it. I even say we should have one it.

You always need to make adjustments before, during, after the season and even during games.
    I don't think we need to make any big changes to overall philosophy.
    Last edited by TIDE-HSV; November 11th, 2012 at 07:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood

Quote Originally Posted by russtang View Post
    I guess I shoulda used my eyeroll emoticon.

Even with the superior talent we had on D last year, we still lost a game. We aren't going to win every one.

We came out flat, we weren't ready, we made lots of mistakes.
    We were -3 in turnovers. The offense had a bad game. Playcalling was... not up to par. Didn't make good adjustments on D.
    You can say we were mentally and/or physically tired, hangover from last week or whatever.

Yet, with all that bad stuff going on, we still had an excellent chance to win it. I even say we should have one it.

You always need to make adjustments before, during, after the season and even during games.
    I don't think we need to make any big changes to overall philosophy.

Yet.....
    Oh, the sky isn't falling. But it's like Bball when opponents find out you can't hit the perimeter shot, everyone plays zone until you prove you can hit those shots consistently.

Last edited by TIDE-HSV; November 11th, 2012 at 11:41 PM.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by russtang View Post
    So, we lose one game and we have to remake our defense, change the offense, recruit different type of players, change coaching philosophy, and overhaul the college rules?
    When a .500 team last season from what is considered a weaker conference, with a new head coach, QB, and offense comes in your house and does this to you, it is time to think about things. The spread made even Ole Miss look good. It is just a new version of the option and makes the QB a threat. Why the best recruiting team in the nation can't come up with an excellent dual threat QB is beyond me. And knowing that Oregon was possibly on the horizon, it was time to play three CBs instead of three safeties.
    Last edited by 257WBY; November 11th, 2012 at 06:46 PM.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 257WBY View Post
    When a .500 team last season from what is considered a weaker conference, with a new head coach, QB, and offense comes in your house and does this to you, it is time to think about things. The spread made even Ole Miss look good. It is just a new version of the option and makes the QB a threat. Why the best recruiting team in the nation can't come up with an excellent dual threat QB is beyond me. And knowing that Oregon was possibly on the horizon, it was time to play three CBs instead of three safeties.
    That was a sub-500 team that blew every game due to coaching. They have a solid qb. An excellent head coach. A great OC and DC. Give them some credit, for Pete's sake. We didn't lose to Kentucky. That team that we played yesterday might have beaten all but the top four or five teams in America.

BamaNation All-American AlexanderFan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Talkative on TideFans.com

These are not innovations, these are gray areas of the rules being exploited. The offense can exploit these areas because they trigger the plays.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    "It's not luck, it's random bursts of talent." - Gage Robinson

Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

I think it is just like in a boxing match. As a fighter you force your opponent to fight "your type" of fight. If you're quick "sugar ray leonard" type boxer then you want the match to flow that way. I think we panicked and stopped trying to make the other team (LSU, Ole Miss & aTm) play our game. At one point in the LSU game we were gaining 7.2 yards per carry running the ball. Yet we don't recognize that and just continue to pound them, keeping our defense on the sidelines and theirs on the field.

The aTm game. At one point in the second half Danielson even said "You can see aTm's defense getting tired." Yet what do we do? We try to play their style game, throw the ball around and go three and out. We are a physical, power running style offense. And that is what we should do, ESPECIALLY when there are signs it is having an impact on the defense. I'd rather go three and out running the ball than three and out throwing two passes and running one time.

Just because a team runs a high tempo offense doesn't mean execution comes automatic. Their receivers have to still catch the ball. Their quarterback still has to deliver the ball on target and their offensive line still has to block. I see no reason why our offense cannot steam roll these defenses that are built for the high tempo spreads. The problem ain't scheme. It's execution. Maybe the players from these spread offenses are better at the fundamentals. They catch, block and throw the ball the right way more times than not. We don't need to over haul schemes. We just need to use some DANG COMMON SENSE and when your strength their weakness you KEEP DOING IT!!!! You don't go away from it. I digress.....
    Last edited by Bamabuzzard; November 11th, 2012 at 08:07 PM.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonProf View Post
    That was a sub-500 team that blew every game due to coaching. They have a solid qb. An excellent head coach. A great OC and DC. Give them some credit, for Pete's sake. We didn't lose to Kentucky. That team that we played yesterday might have beaten all but the top four or five teams in America.
    They beat La Tech somewhere around 57-55. TAMU is playing very well, but Alabama has much more talent on the roster. Just shows what can happen when they spread you out and find the weakest link in coverage.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I would not object to recruiting a few speedy linemen to combat this type offense.
    They don't have to be tiny, but something along the wt. of 270 should maybe make us a step faster,
    yet still be big enough to take on the run.
    With Offenses going to speedy no huddle Offenses, we will need to evolve toward more speed.