Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Re: Faster tempo offense question. Causing confusion?

Quote Originally Posted by Ldlane View Post
    This is just a case where offenses are starting to change to meet the harsh reality of great defenses. Great Defensive minded coaches will figure this out in a couple of years and it drive more innovation. One thing that bothers me is our reliance on subbing constantly for different packages. Just put our best on the field instead of platooning. Just my 2 cents.
    I Agree completely. It doesn't seem like we can get into any kind of a rhythm defensively.

2. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    It's the faster pace of the offense. Not necessarily a specific type of offense. LSU ran a pro style offense and simply picked up the pace and went to higher percentage passes mixed with a balance of running and had success.
    True...We have already simplified our defense due to these offenses. There is just not enough time for us to adjust let alone sub. If you think back, Ro used to audible the entire defense when the offense gave different looks. Hightower as well. Mosely and Nico are probably capable of this as well but there is not enough time to get everyone else set. If you watch Mosely through out the game he almost always knows where the play is going, but with a hurry up there is not time to get everyone else in position to stop it.
    I'm a lead farmer

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Notice that if these offenses have a negative play on first down they do not go hurry up. Obviously, it's easier said than done many times, but a good way to slow them down is to get a sack or incompletetion on first down. That is the time to bring a blitz. Throws off the offense's rhythm big time.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation Second Team AustinTider's Avatar
    My Mood
    Amazed on TideFans.com

The Wishbone looked like it was unstoppable.
    The 9 man DL Notre Dame used with bump coverage stopped it.

The Fun and Gun was useful at UF until defenses caught up with it.
    Spurrier does not run that now (exactly) at USCe.

Manziel will run wild until defenses catch up (and they will).
    Until then aTm risks 90% of their offense getting a knee or shoulder taken out with each scramble. (Or worse concussion)
    They will not win the SEC outright next year because their offense won't cut it week in and week out.
    Too many plays and risks. Too many opps for injuries.
    Funny thing is LSU won by less than a TD and benefitted by 5 TOs against aTm.
    Alabama outgained aTm and gave them the ball 3 times on turnovers....
    Nick will win at Kyle next year. He will devote hundreds of hours to figure it out.

Durability is the future and the past of the SEC along with sound defense.
    Death Valley Baton Rouge, La. "Where dreams come to die"

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Football is a team game. That means your whole team, not just the half that plays offense. Teams with these up-tempo offenses are basically saying their defensive personnel is lacking and hoping to outscore opponents to make up for it.The biggest problem is that these offenses tend to weaken your defense (who do ya think they practice against), and if they don't outscore you, they have no hope. Take Saturdays game for example, our offense played poorly but we still could have won. Without a stellar performance from their QB A&M would have lost handily. If our offense had played better, Manzeil and company wouldn't have been on the field nearly as much. As the last few NCGs have shown, sacrificing your D for a better O is not the way too go.
    Mack Brown used to throw it all over the field with McCoy, until he found out in the NCG that they couldn't run the ball or tackle. Brian Kelly used to throw 40-50 times a game at Cincy, but now his D has led ND. IOW you can be unbeaten with a poor O but great D, but it's not likely with a great O and crappy D...ask WVU.
    If anything goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games for you. - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by bamadp View Post
    Football is a team game. That means your whole team, not just the half that plays offense.
    Agree.
    It would seem that you have a greater chance of consistency with an even spread of the workload, that's why I dislike Dual Threat quarterbacks and the spread. You are at the mercy of 1 player. And recruiting them is a crap-shoot regardless of their star rating. Most will get you 7 wins, when you luck out and win the lottery with the 1 or 2 good one's each year, they can take you to 10-2. It takes Bo Jackson with an arm to get you a National Championship. And when they leave, we are talking about a mother leaving her chicks.....you would be better off with your coach leaving. No spread of dual threat for me, I just want to be able to defend them better!!!

BamaNation First Team Bama By Birth's Avatar

The philosophy of this coaching staff is to recruit the biggest, strongest athletes to wear down the other team by the 4th quarter. This came out of Coach Smart's mouth 2 years ago at a function I was fortunate enough to attend.

How does that work out with a quick paced, no huddle offense? If everyone does their job it can work.

I have noticed that opposing quarterbacks have all day to throw unless we blitz someone. I sure wish Mr. Clowney would have chosen us!
    ' How did I know you went to Auburn? I saw your class ring when you were picking your nose."

Quote Originally Posted by Bama By Birth View Post
    The philosophy of this coaching staff is to recruit the biggest, strongest athletes to wear down the other team by the 4th quarter. This came out of Coach Smart's mouth 2 years ago at a function I was fortunate enough to attend.

How does that work out with a quick paced, no huddle offense? If everyone does their job it can work.

I have noticed that opposing quarterbacks have all day to throw unless we blitz someone. I sure wish Mr. Clowney would have chosen us!
    Exactly. Is David Pain still around? I miss players with that dimension. Clowney is the prototype. The size for the line but the speed of a linebacker. Clowney wanted the 4-3. Players like him are once every 4 years.

BamaNation All-American TexasTideFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneTider View Post
    Agree.
    No spread of dual threat for me, I just want to be able to defend them better!!!
    Easier said than done. Mobile QB's make a Defense commit one extra player to stop them. That takes 1 guy out of coverage and if your mobile QB is as accurate a passer as a Johnny Football or RGIII, you can torch a Defense in alot of Man Coverage if your receivers are good. Then if your QB is as athletic with some speed and you fail to contain, then that opens up a whole new set of problems when they take off running. The only way to really shut down this type of Offense is to just nail the QB enough times to make the dude gunshy when he runs or make mental errors when he throws. You fail to do that and those QB's usually win Heismans at the end of the year. Add the fact that these QB's are usually in fast paced Offenses that go so high tempo the Defense is usually gassed or they get so shock and awed when they first see it, they are down multiple scores before they can settle into the fast paced flow of the game.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Notice that if these offenses have a negative play on first down they do not go hurry up. Obviously, it's easier said than done many times, but a good way to slow them down is to get a sack or incompletetion on first down. That is the time to bring a blitz. Throws off the offense's rhythm big time.
    Which is why they go with super safe plays on first down. Over and over aTm threw that 4 yard hitch to Swope. We never really adjusted.
    ---------------------------------------

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."

Robert Frost

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Faster tempo offense question. Causing confusion?

Quote Originally Posted by Nolcbear View Post
    Which is why they go with super safe plays on first down. Over and over aTm threw that 4 yard hitch to Swope. We never really adjusted.
    Asked yesterday why we didn't jump those routes or jam the WRs. The answers in the thread answered why Bama didn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my post may not be what I typed thanks to auto correct. Also, I may need an emoticon but cannot use one in this post.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation Second Team TideLegacy's Avatar

Originally it was brought into the college game so teams with inferior personnel could gain some type of advantage over the defense. Now, even upper level teams with good to great talent (A&M, OU, Oregon, Ok. State) run it as well.

Bama has an elite defense, no doubt. But it is a defense that relies on disguising pressure packages, disguising coverages, showing the offense one look and shifting at the last second to a different look, and getting the correct personnel on the field to match what the O is showing with their personnel package, on top of being bigger, faster, and more physical at the point of attack.

ALL OF THAT is negated with a hurry-up no huddle offense. The O gets the play in, gets to the line of scrimmage, and it is go time, so the D needs to be able to play the next down with the defenders they have on the field, for the most part, and needs to be able to get their calls in quickly, and they don't really have time to shift or disguise their intent. It really is NOT sand-lot ball, it is just "our 11 vs. your 11" and makes the defense be a "read and react" defense out of necessity. All great defensive minded teams, their coaches and fans always say they want the defense to dictacte to the offense. That is not possible against an offense like A&M ran Saturday in Tuscaloosa. And the offense has the advantage as they know what play they are running and where the ball is going, the defense does not.

Oklahoma State takes this to the extreme, or has in the past when they had an experienced QB as they would not even substitute their O personnel if the play ended within 15 yard of the line of scrimmage.

A&M substituted a good amount on Saturday, and the Umpire correctly stood over the ball so Bama could substitute their personnel package - which still didn't leave a whole lot of time to get the call in and get the defense set. If A&M has substituted less it would have been an even bigger problem for the Tide defense. Though I thought the Bama D played well overall after the initital onslaught, if A&M makes that missed FG and Manziel gets that extra yard on 4th and 1 that game may not have been so close in the waning moments.

The answer is the same as it has always been in football, DL has to get pressure, but the LBs need to be a little smaller and a little faster and the 11 you have on the field to defend 1st and 10 better be able to be the same 11 on the field to defend 3rd and 10 or 3rd and 1.

Personally I don't like the term "spread offense", in the NFL when the Saints, Packers or Patriots throw it 55 times and run it 12 times they call it football, they don't call it "the spread". A&M had a commitment to run the ball and ran play-action, that is not like the crazy "spread" offense Mike Leach ran/runs - he wouldn't run the ball if the defense was 1 DL and 10 DBs 7 yards off the line of scrimmage.

I don't like it, but it is what it is. I prefer low scoring defensive games, and think the forward pass should be out-lawed!!
    Last edited by TideLegacy; November 13th, 2012 at 04:25 PM.

When they spread you out, the defenders have a lot of one on one in space and it is much harder to tackle in space. Also, the short passes become long handoffs with 80% completion on those throws.