Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Re: Dooley is Out At UT

Mullen or Smart would take the Tenn job. It is a great job, lets be honest. Strong would be a mistake; hope they take him. I know it is a long shot but if I was tenn I would call Butch Davis; he would be an automatic winner at Tenn if they stayed off probation. He can recruit and is a very good coach. He fits the Vols. As a Bama fan I would not want him there. And that is how I judge their process; who I would not want there.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American

I always thought Dooley was a lil too good for the Vols. Hope he moves on and is sucessful, Probably as an assistant where he will be appreciated.
    Life is short, ocassionally bend the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TideWatcher View Post
    Mullen or Smart would take the Tenn job. It is a great job, lets be honest. Strong would be a mistake; hope they take him. I know it is a long shot but if I was tenn I would call Butch Davis; he would be an automatic winner at Tenn if they stayed off probation. He can recruit and is a very good coach. He fits the Vols. As a Bama fan I would not want him there. And that is how I judge their process; who I would not want there.
    I highly doubt Butch Davis gets an offer to coach at the college level ever again after the mess that he has gotten UNC into. Plus, he has a show cause attached to his name and any school wanting to hire him would have to appear before the NCAA. UT just had their probation extended 2 more years and would not even entertain this idea.
    If God wanted me to be humble, he would have sent me to Auburn.

I think based Bobby Petrino's flub at Arkansas and his desperation to get back in coaching, UT could probably get him at a reduced rate.

Suspended
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by J4Bama View Post
    I highly doubt Butch Davis gets an offer to coach at the college level ever again after the mess that he has gotten UNC into. Plus, he has a show cause attached to his name and any school wanting to hire him would have to appear before the NCAA. UT just had their probation extended 2 more years and would not even entertain this idea.
    Butch Davis was cleared of all things at UNC.. Don't know how but he did. No show cause.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/arti...for-violations

Davis has never been tied directly to or cited for any violation in the probe.
    In a ruling Monday, the committee said the school was responsible for multiple violations, including academic fraud and a failure to monitor its football program. It also issued a three-year show-cause penalty for former assistant coach John Blake, who had received personal loans from an NFL agent.
    Last edited by BamaGoose; November 18th, 2012 at 11:32 PM.

BamaNation First Team
    My Mood
    Angelic on TideFans.com

yeap, we all saw that one coming.
    Live your life like you wish you had.

BamaNation All-SEC Perrett4Bama's Avatar
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Next.....
    "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth." Genesis 1:1

BamaNation All-American TheRealPokeChop's Avatar
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by VolFan1 View Post
    How well can Mullen recruit?
    Kind of hard to tell. He has gotten a few gems but MSU is so hard to recruit to. Starkville sucks and so does the campus to be honest. He's missed out on some huge in state guys to ole miss over the past few years, even while Nutt was there.

He's done very well with the limited means as coach at Miss State is presented. though his recruiting at UF was successful, but of course so was Ron Zooks and his staff.

Mullen is a legit head coach which Dooley never was, so he'd be a marked improvement though adjusting to his Offense would not give the immediate change that UT fans are looking for and he's really tied to gimmicks to recruit and motivate, like different colored jersey games, see the white unis to commemorate a win in the Independence bowl from ten years ago. and those things have more or less blown up in his face.
    Serve no master but your own ambition.

I wonder why they didn't let him coach the Kentucky game? But I guess a place that takes away wins from a head coach when he is having open heart surgery isn't likely to let someone finish out the season.

I think we've seen the last of Dooley at the major levels, at least as a head coach. He may get a job at a second tier BCS school, but that would be about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson1967 View Post
    I wonder why they didn't let him coach the Kentucky game? But I guess a place that takes away wins from a head coach when he is having open heart surgery isn't likely to let someone finish out the season.
    I wondered this, too. My best guess is the PTB decided, "if we lose to Vandy, he goes." Perhaps he was fired to convince the fans and boosters that changes are coming sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by crimsonaudio; November 19th, 2012 at 06:15 AM.
    "I don't like to lose. I don't expect to lose." - Nick Saban

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson57s View Post
    I wondered this, too. My best guess is the PTB decided, "if we lose to Vandy, he goes." Perhaps he was fired to convince the fans and boosters that changes are coming sooner rather than later.
    Not to mention that there is at least one other 'good' SEC job open (arky), possibly two (barn). TN is easily the better job than either of those schools, but no point in waiting, potentially getting into a bidding war.

Wouldn't be surprised if UT announced the new hire in the next week or so - I suspect they were waiting until they were almost certain they had the replacement lined up before pulling the trigger on DD.
    DISCLAIMER: I hereby reserve the right to discuss any game on the Alabama schedule I wish, at any time during the season, as I am not a part of the Crimson Tide football program. I am simply a fan who has no impact outside of the money I provide the athletic department via ticket and memorabilia purchases and the energy I can provide when I attend the games. 2009-2014, crimsonaudio

Lurch Backwater!

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Hopefully Dooley lands on his feet somewhere. His buyout will help in that regard.

Gruden would be a splashy hire but I'm not at all convinced it would be a good long-term hire for UT. His career roots are the pros and more recently the broadcasting booth. UT fans, recruits, and players would wonder how long before he returns to his roots.

Furthermore, UT is not an easy gig. I read somewhere that UT has fired every coach they've had since the 1960's... except one. Kiffin! Gruden or any other established Division One coach will think long and hard as to whether he really wants to step into that morass.

BamaNation All-American Florida Tom's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I hope they stay on the down hill slide for one. Maybe they get someone who is pressured so much to win that they get caught in Memphis with their pockets open & a kids hand there.

Nothing short of a completed death penalty will satisfy me when it come to the Orange but Lame & DD sure came close.