Link: Dooley is Out At UT

Crimson57s

1st Team
Aug 18, 2012
I wonder why they didn't let him coach the Kentucky game? But I guess a place that takes away wins from a head coach when he is having open heart surgery isn't likely to let someone finish out the season.
I wondered this, too. My best guess is the PTB decided, "if we lose to Vandy, he goes." Perhaps he was fired to convince the fans and boosters that changes are coming sooner rather than later.

Last edited by a moderator:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I wondered this, too. My best guess is the PTB decided, "if we lose to Vandy, he goes." Perhaps he was fired to convince the fans and boosters that changes are coming sooner rather than later.
Not to mention that there is at least one other 'good' SEC job open (arky), possibly two (barn). TN is easily the better job than either of those schools, but no point in waiting, potentially getting into a bidding war.

Wouldn't be surprised if UT announced the new hire in the next week or so - I suspect they were waiting until they were almost certain they had the replacement lined up before pulling the trigger on DD.

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
Hopefully Dooley lands on his feet somewhere. His buyout will help in that regard.

Gruden would be a splashy hire but I'm not at all convinced it would be a good long-term hire for UT. His career roots are the pros and more recently the broadcasting booth. UT fans, recruits, and players would wonder how long before he returns to his roots.

Furthermore, UT is not an easy gig. I read somewhere that UT has fired every coach they've had since the 1960's... except one. Kiffin! Gruden or any other established Division One coach will think long and hard as to whether he really wants to step into that morass.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I hope they stay on the down hill slide for one. Maybe they get someone who is pressured so much to win that they get caught in Memphis with their pockets open & a kids hand there.

Nothing short of a completed death penalty will satisfy me when it come to the Orange but Lame & DD sure came close.

JustJim

Scout Team
Dec 5, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
Gruden's name is mentioned frequently on this board but the guy makes $4 mil doing what he's doing. Why would he leave that to get back in the long hours of college football?

smokewagon212

All-SEC
Aug 28, 2003
Macon, Georgia
If it were me, I would much rather hire Herman Edwards. Fantastic motivator and would run a clean program. I can't stand Gruden, and I don't watch MNF with the volume on because he is soo grading in my nerves!

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Heard a bit of Pawl, this morning. Said whoever it is better be good a raising money, because of their financial situation. Add to that CKS will probably be busy with a trip to the BCSCG pretty much rules him out.

So, if the ability to get the alums to open their wallets is a key factor, who is the best huckster out there?

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
What about Cutcliff? Haven't really followed him that closely, but I think he's done very well at Duke. And he has UT roots. Just wondering......
From what I've gathered they asked him if he was interested when the hired Dooley and he said no. I've also gathered that they took it bad and have no interest in asking him again

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL
From what I remember, talks between UT and Cutcliffe got pretty serious after Kiffin left in 2010. I heard the hanging point was the staff - Cut wanted to bring pretty much his entire Duke staff with him, and the UT admin was adamant about keeping several of Kiffin's assistants. This holds water because Dooley kept at least one Kiffin hire (Chaney) and it seems like there might have been a few more.

I don't doubt that Cutcliffe would do well initially at UT. He's a keen offensive mind and his preferred system would translate very well to their current personnel. I'd be a bit concerned about who was running the defense if I were a UT fan, but Cutcliffe's teams have always been very well-coached and very efficient on offense. Probably the biggest issue with Cutcliffe is that he would be perceived as a "bridge" hire: he's 58 years old and has had some health issues, and his penchant has never been defense or recruiting. He'd be a guy that could come in and right the ship in a reasonably short period of time, but long-term it seems unlikely that he'll out-recruit guys like Richt, Saban, Muschamp, etc. Plus his age and health issues.

From what I hear, those bridges were likely burned in 2010 anyway, so I'd look elsewhere for UT's next hire.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Chris Lowe tells Finebaum some candidates are the following men: Jon Gruden, Jimbo Fisher, Charlie Strong, Al Golden, Tommy Tuberville.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I'm surprised I haven't seen Dan Mullen's name mentioned more. I know his name was mentioned, but it just seems like a good fit to me - Mullen gets out of the SEC West, goes to a program with more resources; UT gets an experienced coach from the SEC who took over a program in worse shape than UT and whose only losses in the last three years have been either SEC Road Games, or against a ranked SEC opponent.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.