Link: Dooley is Out At UT

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama
Re: Dooley is Out At UT (per VolQuest.com)

Hard to feel much sympathy for Dooley; he was paid to win, although I always thought he had much more integrity than the two previous guys. When dragging down the big bucks, being a good guy means little if you can't be competitive.

It looks as if there will be at least four changes before next season begins; Arkansas, Auburn, Kentucky, and Tennessee. I keep waiting to hear the Vandy coach gets an offer from somewhere. He appears to be a winner, just does not have the material to work with. The SEC is not the place for on the job training; only the tough survive and with each member school playing eight conference games, that boils down to 56 losses to spread around. Imagine swimming in a pool of hungry sharks.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

Chizik's buyout does not suddenly drop $2.5 million on December 1. It has been dropping 1/12 of that amount every month since last December 1. The buyout drops a little over $20,000 every month.
Now I told y'all once, so I don't expect to have to keep repeating myself. The BOT at *U is going to move Cheez-whiz out of the athletic dep't and into grounds maintenance. He'll be a janitor for the next 5 years. :biggrin:
:wink:

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA

My guess, Aub is back channel looking for a replacement for two reasons

1) Chiz's contract pay-out reduces by 2.5M on 12/1 (have read both from 10m to 7.5 and 7.5 down to 5) either way they save $2.5M by waiting a few weeks.

2) Trying to hang onto recruits as long as possible
Chizik's buyout reduces monthly by the amount of salary due to him. So it gets lower on 11/1, 12/1, 1/1/13, etc.

Alajambama

2nd Team
Jul 25, 2012
Fyffe, AL

I hope Dooley lands a decent job somewhere and builds a winning program. I always said he had more class than Tennessee deserves. Maybe they will end up with some butthead that sets their program another 5 years. I hate Tennessee.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN

I believe Dooley is one of those nice guys much like Mike Shula. CDD was used to heal the team after the PhatPhil ousting and Lame Kitten one year of disaster. Much like Alabama did after Frannie and Mike Price. They certainly have the money to go out and get an outstanding coach -- Saban is NOT available. They may go for Gruden as is rumored but I don't know if his coaching style will suit college.

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama

I believe Dooley is one of those nice guys much like Mike Shula. CDD was used to heal the team after the PhatPhil ousting and Lame Kitten one year of disaster. Much like Alabama did after Frannie and Mike Price. They certainly have the money to go out and get an outstanding coach -- Saban is NOT available. They may go for Gruden as is rumored but I don't know if his coaching style will suit college.
I agree. I will be shocked if Gruden ends up at UT; he is a good coach, but I don't think he has the personality to be a good recruiter. The State of Tennessee does not have enough quality college athletes, making it mandatory that they spread recruiting elsewhere. I can't see Gruden doing that; he says he is having a blast in the broadcast booth.

bondsdw

Scout Team
Jan 26, 2007

I like Dooley, and I was hoping for him to be able to keep his job. They showed some promise in games like Georgia and South Carolina, but they just couldn't pull them out. I think he might have eventually righted the ship at UT, but if I was the AD, I'd fire him too for the sake of fan interest/support. The loss to Missouri had to be the final straw.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

I wonder how we'll make a position on our staff for Sal. I have a hard time thinking Saban won't find a way to get him back on board. We've been missing his pass rush this year and last night showed.
I think Saban would hire him back but I doubt he pushes someone out to do it. Sal rushed out on this, even I knew chances were Dooley was gone after this year so leaving a place like Bama and coaching your son to take a shot like that was flat out CRAZY. Going somewhere else where the rumors and hot seat were not in place would have made sense. Not UT.

Could you expand on this? I think it is good to go ahead and tell the coach so he doesn't get desperate to save his job and break some rules, but I'm not sure if it helps to make it public.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just interested in the thought process.
Another thing is it calms the fan base. If they fired Chiznik there would be a full house for them next week even against a pansy. Now that he's still there? Nobody.

My guess, Aub is back channel looking for a replacement for two reasons

1) Chiz's contract pay-out reduces by 2.5M on 12/1 (have read both from 10m to 7.5 and 7.5 down to 5) either way they save $2.5M by waiting a few weeks.

2) Trying to hang onto recruits as long as possible
I don't claim to know everything on his contract either but I've heard his buyout drops to 5 million after 12/1 as well. I honestly think they wait until then to drop the guillotine on his head to save the 2.5+ million. Of course it's still a moot point if he goes to work at all after this year.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

I like Dooley, and I was hoping for him to be able to keep his job. They showed some promise in games like Georgia and South Carolina, but they just couldn't pull them out. I think he might have eventually righted the ship at UT, but if I was the AD, I'd fire him too for the sake of fan interest/support. The loss to Missouri had to be the final straw.
I told my old man when Dooley went for it on 4th instead of kicking in that 4th OT that that was the final straw and they'd fire him. Of course I also said last night Chiznik wouldn't make it through the weekend as well:biggrin:

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

I told my old man when Dooley went for it on 4th instead of kicking in that 4th OT that that was the final straw and they'd fire him. Of course I also said last night Chiznik wouldn't make it through the weekend as well:biggrin:
If he would have scored he would be a genius today. I thought he did the right thing by showing the players he had confidence in them.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com

I told my son that he would be fired when he let the clock run down on the last possession of the 4th quarter with two timeouts left.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

Poor game/clock management can be forgiven if the coach doing it has a winning record. Let's use Les Miles as a prime example. Les can make some boneheaded calls in both playcalling and clock management. But Les has a winning record, and has had year after year ever since CNS left there.
So Les gets a pass because his record speaks for itself.
But Dooley at UcheaT is another story altogether. A coach who makes one boneheaded call after another and shows poor clock management skills, especially a coach with a really bad losing record, isn't going to last long.
It takes more than a name to make a winning coach..

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001

Now Vince and Barbara can go back to pulling for the Dogs. It was an awkward fit for them anyway.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008

I wonder how we'll make a position on our staff for Sal. I have a hard time thinking Saban won't find a way to get him back on board. We've been missing his pass rush this year and last night showed.
I'll be surprised if Sal makes it back to the Capstone. CKS and CJP are not happy at all with Sal and his performance at Tenn. When assistants leave Alabama, particularly defensive assistants, and they have zero success and perform the way Sal has, it makes it look like Saban is the only reason Alabama's defense is dominant. It causes the other defensive coordinator/assistant coaches stock to go down, in their eyes.

Also, IMO Sal is overrated as a coach.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I'll be surprised if Sal makes it back to the Capstone. CKS and CJP are not happy at all with Sal and his performance at Tenn. When assistants leave Alabama, particularly defensive assistants, and they have zero success and perform the way Sal has, it makes it look like Saban is the only reason Alabama's defense is dominant. It causes the other defensive coordinator/assistant coaches stock to go down, in their eyes.

Also, IMO Sal is overrated as a coach.
All pretty much true. He was also informed that he was not in line for DC if Smart left...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.