Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Re: Can we hit more deep passes?

Quote Originally Posted by JustJim View Post
    Because the last couple of weeks the opposition(LSU &AM) has been able to get to AJ rushing 4 and dropping 2. That also takes away the deep ball. The O-line has been average at pass-blocking (no where near the best in the country).
    Drag pattern isn't deep, it's shallow across the middle. Bill Walsh concept. What I was saying is that we hit this pattern consistently during the first part of the season and we were burning people with it. However, we have abandoned it.

Last edited by Ldlane; November 12th, 2012 at 04:51 PM.
    Football changes and so do people. - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC

i think we should have exploited the deep pass more. aTm's defense was obviously crowding the LOS most of the night. Their scheme was to stop our run. The only way to push those safeties back are to throw some long passes. AJ may be hurt, but if he is too hurt to properly execute the best game plan, he doesn't need to be in there. They were pressuring our short routes all day and no receivers were open. Even when AJ would scramble. I don't know if our receivers quit trying to get open or their DB's just covered us that well. A&M's receivers continuously got open after Manziel would scramble.
    I'm sure Georgia is watching these last 2 games and will be doing the same thing. We've got to be able to throw long more. It will open up the shorter routes and running lanes more.

BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

I won't beat on the dead horse any more about the play calling, but it is clear that AJ does not have the same zip on his passes that he had early in the season. Early in the season, he was getting passes out to receivers in the flat on a line. They had time to catch the ball and make a move on a defender. Your bubble screens were run to perfection.

Also, passes across the middle were placed with laser precision. Those passes are still coming out in time, but they are not coming out with the same velocity, so they are very often thrown "behind" the receiver. This causes receivers ove the middle to slow or stop to make the catch, which allows the defender to make a play on the ball, or wrap up the receiver with no yards gained after the catch.

Also, he has all but given up on downfield "backshoulder" passes. They were used very effectively early in the season.

I think he is playing hurt, and has been for a while. I would not begin to guess at the nature of the injury, but he is still making great decisions with the ball - he just can't get it there.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ldlane View Post
    Drag pattern isn't deep, it's shallow across the middle. Bill Walsh concept. What I was saying is that we hit this pattern consistently during the first part of the season and we were burning people with it. However, we have abandoned it.

And I'm not disagreeing with you; When the defense is able to rush only 4 and drop 2, they take away the drag routes. If the defense is forced to rush 5 or more then the drag routes are open.
    "With everything comes a price."

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by JustJim View Post
    And I'm not disagreeing with you; When the defense is able to rush only 4 and drop 2, they take away the drag routes. If the defense is forced to rush 5 or more then the drag routes are open.
    ahh...OK. But still we haven't done that even when the numbers are right.
    Football changes and so do people. - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by RollinTider1335 View Post
    I don't think thats what hes saying. It would take some help from other teams losing for us to get to the BCSNCG. Thats how I took it.

Status quo right now, I don't think we get in as a one loss team over Oregon and Kansas State. Someone will have to lose. I think we can get in over Notre Dame based on their schedule and how they have won.
    we dont get in over any undefeated team, including Notre Dame. it will take at least two of the three remaining to lose a game, and us to win out to get there, IMO.