Can we hit more deep passes?

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I don't the injuries explain the nosedive in the overall level of performance from McCarron. If that were the case, he wouldn't suddenly be throwing the ball around like Namath in the final few minutes of the games.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Because the last couple of weeks the opposition(LSU &AM) has been able to get to AJ rushing 4 and dropping 2. That also takes away the deep ball. The O-line has been average at pass-blocking (no where near the best in the country).
I thought pass protection was excellent the last two games. McCarron missed some relatively easy throws at key times (e.g. 3rd down conversions).

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
If you look at the deep ball to Bell he had to wait just long enough that the defender could catch him. If that pass had been thrown correctly it would have been six. But still our biggest problem, to me, is that we've gotten away from the run in the second half of the last two games.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
If you look at the deep ball to Bell he had to wait just long enough that the defender could catch him. If that pass had been thrown correctly it would have been six. But still our biggest problem, to me, is that we've gotten away from the run in the second half of the last two games.
Yep, same thing on the first throw to Cooper (that ended in the Yeldon fumble). Can't complain about either, really, because you're talking about slight underthrows on passes that travel 50 yards, but if he hits those two in stride that is 14 points. Instead, we get zero and lose by 5.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
Yep, same thing on the first throw to Cooper (that ended in the Yeldon fumble). Can't complain about either, really, because you're talking about slight underthrows on passes that travel 50 yards, but if he hits those two in stride that is 14 points. Instead, we get zero and lose by 5.
The most disturbing thing about those two throws is that they were really off target if you take into consideration the quarterback is taught to make his mistakes long, to keep them from being intercepted. We were really lucky they were so completely wide open that a bad throw was still complete.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't the injuries explain the nosedive in the overall level of performance from McCarron. If that were the case, he wouldn't suddenly be throwing the ball around like Namath in the final few minutes of the games.
Being warmed up is part of it and there are other, legit, things which can be done to handle pain issues when there's no real danger of permanent injury...

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Because the last couple of weeks the opposition(LSU &AM) has been able to get to AJ rushing 4 and dropping 2. That also takes away the deep ball. The O-line has been average at pass-blocking (no where near the best in the country).
Drag pattern isn't deep, it's shallow across the middle. Bill Walsh concept. What I was saying is that we hit this pattern consistently during the first part of the season and we were burning people with it. However, we have abandoned it.

Last edited:

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
i think we should have exploited the deep pass more. aTm's defense was obviously crowding the LOS most of the night. Their scheme was to stop our run. The only way to push those safeties back are to throw some long passes. AJ may be hurt, but if he is too hurt to properly execute the best game plan, he doesn't need to be in there. They were pressuring our short routes all day and no receivers were open. Even when AJ would scramble. I don't know if our receivers quit trying to get open or their DB's just covered us that well. A&M's receivers continuously got open after Manziel would scramble.
I'm sure Georgia is watching these last 2 games and will be doing the same thing. We've got to be able to throw long more. It will open up the shorter routes and running lanes more.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I won't beat on the dead horse any more about the play calling, but it is clear that AJ does not have the same zip on his passes that he had early in the season. Early in the season, he was getting passes out to receivers in the flat on a line. They had time to catch the ball and make a move on a defender. Your bubble screens were run to perfection.

Also, passes across the middle were placed with laser precision. Those passes are still coming out in time, but they are not coming out with the same velocity, so they are very often thrown "behind" the receiver. This causes receivers ove the middle to slow or stop to make the catch, which allows the defender to make a play on the ball, or wrap up the receiver with no yards gained after the catch.

Also, he has all but given up on downfield "backshoulder" passes. They were used very effectively early in the season.

I think he is playing hurt, and has been for a while. I would not begin to guess at the nature of the injury, but he is still making great decisions with the ball - he just can't get it there.

JustJim

Scout Team
Dec 5, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
Drag pattern isn't deep, it's shallow across the middle. Bill Walsh concept. What I was saying is that we hit this pattern consistently during the first part of the season and we were burning people with it. However, we have abandoned it.

And I'm not disagreeing with you; When the defense is able to rush only 4 and drop 2, they take away the drag routes. If the defense is forced to rush 5 or more then the drag routes are open.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
And I'm not disagreeing with you; When the defense is able to rush only 4 and drop 2, they take away the drag routes. If the defense is forced to rush 5 or more then the drag routes are open.
ahh...OK. But still we haven't done that even when the numbers are right.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I don't think thats what hes saying. It would take some help from other teams losing for us to get to the BCSNCG. Thats how I took it.

Status quo right now, I don't think we get in as a one loss team over Oregon and Kansas State. Someone will have to lose. I think we can get in over Notre Dame based on their schedule and how they have won.
we dont get in over any undefeated team, including Notre Dame. it will take at least two of the three remaining to lose a game, and us to win out to get there, IMO.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.