Can we hit more deep passes?

TexasBammer

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2005
Hotlanta, Ga
Towards the end of the game, AJ hit 2 bombs.

I'd really like to know from someone who was there and could see the plays develop, or someone who studies the tape if our guys who run deep are as open as they seemed to be toward the end of the A&M game? Of course, the one with Amari seemed a bit broken, though.

Logically, it seems since defenses always have 8 men fairly close to the line of scrimmage against us to stop Lacy and Yeldon, that we should be able to exploit the deep passes like we did against A&M, except many times throughout the game.

Or... was it just that A&M was selling out at the end and we caught them in those defenses?

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
AJ has hit quite a few deep passes this year already. He just missed Amare Cooper in the LSU game. I do think our offensive philosophy is based on making "smart" throws and hitting the checkdown receiver.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Towards the end of the game, AJ hit 2 bombs.

I'd really like to know from someone who was there and could see the plays develop, or someone who studies the tape if our guys who run deep are as open as they seemed to be toward the end of the A&M game? Of course, the one with Amari seemed a bit broken, though.

Logically, it seems since defenses always have 8 men fairly close to the line of scrimmage against us to stop Lacy and Yeldon, that we should be able to exploit the deep passes like we did against A&M, except many times throughout the game.

Or... was it just that A&M was selling out at the end and we caught them in those defenses?
I think his injuries make the long throw sort of a crap shoot, particularly until he can get warmed up. They're definitely not as sharp as earlier in the season. TBF, I don't see how he's throwing it long at all...

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Early in the year we were wearing people out hitting White on drag patterns. Haven't seen many of them called lately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Injuries just killed us this year. We can still finish 11-1 and I think we can play solid defense against UGA, but if win a BCSCG it would be a damn miracle.
So you would consider a win against Auburn and Georgia a "miracle"??

Wow...

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I wouldn't say it would take a miracle, last year was more of a miracle for us to make it back than it would this year since ND and KSU are not your typical top tier schools that "tend to go undefeated". I think this was probably a shoe-in for Oregon though as I don't see them losing in the Civil War or PAC12CG. U$C will more than likely beat ND and the KSU/Tejas game is a crap shoot.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I wish we would get more 5 yard runs instead of trying to go all Peyton Manning with AJ McCarron like the past two weeks. I love the aggressiveness but it has to be tempered with our identity. Teams aren't even really defending the run like past years because they know we're so prone to pass on every down.

bmfcox

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 23, 2012
I think Cooper is the best deep threat with Bell being second. I wish they would utilize the deep ball earlier in games more on early downs like last night later in the game.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
So you would consider a win against Auburn and Georgia a "miracle"??

Wow...
I don't think thats what hes saying. It would take some help from other teams losing for us to get to the BCSNCG. Thats how I took it.

Status quo right now, I don't think we get in as a one loss team over Oregon and Kansas State. Someone will have to lose. I think we can get in over Notre Dame based on their schedule and how they have won.

Last edited:

JustJim

Scout Team
Dec 5, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
Early in the year we were wearing people out hitting White on drag patterns. Haven't seen many of them called lately.
Because the last couple of weeks the opposition(LSU &AM) has been able to get to AJ rushing 4 and dropping 2. That also takes away the deep ball. The O-line has been average at pass-blocking (no where near the best in the country).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.