Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American bamabryan's Avatar

Re: Should aTm now be considered one of the SEC elite?

Very simple..... no.

2. Advertisement

Elite / not yet. One season wonder / to be determined. In this conference you have to win the SEC Championship to be called "elite". All of this is my opinion of course.

My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

If my having Johnny Manziel nightmares last night is any gauge, then they're well on their way to becoming one of the SEC elite...

[And their defense showed yesterday that they're nothing to sneeze at either...]

BamaNation All-SEC Timberline Tide's Avatar

No, not in their first year. Sumlin can probably get them there in short order though.

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideFan in AU's Avatar
    Almost close enough to the pasture to smell it!
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

A&M is very good, no doubt, but the SEC figures out offenses very quick. We figured out how to keep it in check in this game. We just made too many uncharacteristic mistakes, and came 2 yards from winning despite 3 TO's, refusing to trust our running game, and AJ missing lots of open receivers all day. I make no excuses, A&M did what they had to do to win, but let's not make this any more than what it is. We made a lot of mistakes and they took advantage. We are the only elite SEC team they have beat so far, so let's hold off crowning them elite just yet.
    “And the roses in this grand ol’ stadium are once again Crimson!” - Eli Gold, Jan 7th, 2010

Alabama wasn’t just dominating Monday night. They were some word that has yet to be invented in the English language. - Aaron Torres, Jan 10th, 2012

"If this was a prize fight, they'd call it off!" - Brent Musberger, Jan 7th, 2013

A & M is the new kid on the block. To me, to be elite, you should have to serve your time. Even though they are a good team, they are still a two loss team this SEC season, losing to LSU and FL. Because they beat us and some other SEC teams (when we seemed to be playing at our worst), does not qualify them as elite in the SEC. Also, I do think one great QB can almost make a team, or at the very least score much more than they would with an avg. QB - think AU with Cam Newton. Look what happened to them after he left. Time will tell.

BamaNation All-American BamaFlum's Avatar
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

Should aTm now be considered one of the SEC elite?

Need consistency to be called elite. Gotta do it more than one year.
    RTR!

BamaNation All-American bamaslammer's Avatar

Mazel is an elite player who could probably lead most any team in the SEC to the top. He's just that good but next year is another year and he might not have those two NFL ready tackles protecting him. Time will tell
    BS 1989

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

One game....one game...a 5 point win...one game.

Liberate yourselves. Don't be prisoners of the moment.
    "I didn't come to Alabama to win 10 games a year and be a contender. I came here to win championships. Conference championships and national championships. I love it here because that's just not what I want, but what this fanbase expects."
    --Alabama Head Football Coach, Nick Saban

“Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on it’s ability to climb a tree, it will spend it’s whole life believing it is stupid.” — Albert Einstein

BamaNation Hall of Fame TideFan in AU's Avatar
    Almost close enough to the pasture to smell it!
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by WMack4Bama View Post
    One game....one game...a 5 point win...one game.

Liberate yourselves. Don't be prisoners of the moment.
    Yep, like I said we are the only ranked team they've beat. Besides us, they've beat Ole Miss, MSU, Arky, AU, Louisiana Tech, SMU, South Carolina State, and they have MIZZOU and Sam Houston St. We are the only good team they've beat, and they caught us at the perfect time. Don't make it into more than it is just yet.
    “And the roses in this grand ol’ stadium are once again Crimson!” - Eli Gold, Jan 7th, 2010

Alabama wasn’t just dominating Monday night. They were some word that has yet to be invented in the English language. - Aaron Torres, Jan 10th, 2012

"If this was a prize fight, they'd call it off!" - Brent Musberger, Jan 7th, 2013

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

JM is this year's version of Cam Newton in terms of how he affects the game.

Let's see how they handle things in the long term, but in the meantime... in the next 2-3 years he's playing qb at TAM they are probably top 3 in the SECW with Bama and LSU.

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

TAMU has earned a large place in the SEC West. IMO: to be considered as elite,
    I would expect back to back, or several major wins a year for a couple of years.
    Kevin Sumerlin, TAMU and certainly Johnny Manzelplayed a great game Saturday night.
    I'm reminded of the old line from the Wrestler Rick Flair...
    'To be the best, ya got to beat the best'... 'WHOOO'...
    This year TAMU beat us and we owe them a measure of respect.
    We owe them enough to circle the date of next years game in Tx and attempt a little revenge.
    Last edited by Ole Man Dan; November 11th, 2012 at 10:44 PM. Reason: format

Suspended
    My Mood
    Angelic on TideFans.com

No, they will have up in down years. And off the subject, Texas is still the best team in Texas despite this year.