Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team GADAWG1980's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Should aTm now be considered one of the SEC elite?

A lot of these so called experts,the usual cast of espn gasbags have anointed texas a and m elite. Considering that they have been in the league only one year theres no way that theyre elite. Yes they pulled a major upset and beat alabama yesterday. However,i believe that if they line up and play ten saturdays in a row on a neutral field alabama wins eight,nine maybe all of ten times. As far as manziel goes,hes a very good football player sure but defenses,especially defenses in this league dont stand pat. They make adjustments and you can bet manziels not gonna be sneaking up on anybody next year. Also really foolish words by the a and m wideout slope. Winning that game was a nice achievement but i sure wouldnt have been boasting that they beat the hell out of alabama in the fashion he did upon their return to texas after the game. I have a feeling alabamas coaching staff,players and definitely their fans will remember that.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation First Team dadleyblane5's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

No not yet...We'll see how elite they are when Johnny Football isn't there anymore.

BamaNation All-American OreBama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

When aTm wins a national title for the SEC then I'll consider them elite. But not a second before then. Great win for them and they deserve respect and all that good stuff, however the SEC has set the highest standards in football.
    Pronounced as or-e-bama not Obama.

Or Chris, if you prefer.

BamaNation Hall of Fame derek4tide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cool on TideFans.com

Nope.
    "They're not better than us," Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick said of the Tide. "They're better than everyone."

BamaNation Scout Team
    Post Thanks / Like

As an A&M grad/fan I'm going to agree with everyone that says "NO". One game/season doesn't make anyone elite - at the very least I think you have to win the conference to even stake a claim.

That said, I do think some of the "they played their best game, we played our worst" / "defenses will adapt next year" talk to be a little much. We basically spot our opponents a touchdown in every game with our kicking game and the interceptions were more a product of Alabama playing from behind than they were bad luck.

The general sentiment of Ags is exactly how I feel - we proved we can play with anyone (no one I know is saying we proved we can dominate everyone). Sure, on a different Saturday that game could have gone differently but imo anyone should be proud to be playing at the same level as the perennial #1 team in the country. Will check back in in a few years on the elite status though.

BamaNation First Team MightyWingman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No, we aren't "Elite" yet. Will we become "Elite"? Maybe in a year, maybe in a decade. Our last MNC was in 1939, so until we claim another one I'd emphatically say that we are not an "Elite" team. I do think we will get an MNC within the next couple of years (with the help of Johnny Football and his boys), that's just my opinion though.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

I think the rational thinkers realize it's premature to put the "elite" label on A&M. However, the confluence of (a) the SEC brand; (b) an outstanding university; (c) a large and passionate fan base; and (d) home field advantage in recruiting the state of Texas, offer the potential for A&M to establish themselves amongst the elite college sports schools in the nation. I think it'll happen sooner than many of us expect...

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Brooding on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by theballguy View Post
    Saw an ESPN article about aTm being now considered an SEC elite. Is this the case or too much exuberance? They're a great team. They beat us in one game but I am wondering about that. I think when considering conference elite, one has to look at the last 2-3 years. They're still new. They were great yesterday but gimmicky usually runs out fast in the SEC. Thoughts?

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-f...-takeaways-ncf

That's a pay-for link but it does have the first few paragraphs. His words. Not quite yet mine.
    If Bama plays the Aggies in September, they win by 28.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by dadleyblane5 View Post
    No not yet...We'll see how elite they are when Johnny Football isn't there anymore.
    ...or even next year when he doesn't have two future NFL'ers at OT.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post
    I agree...CNS has the team ready from the whistle of the first game; maybe the PTB should figure out a way to "front-load" the schedule...?

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

we get them early next year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater View Post

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

They somehow reminds of Georgia Southern from last year..... It takes couple weeks to prepare for a team like this.

BamaNation First Team Bamafaninco1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Al A Bama View Post
    After yesterday, what do YOU think? We've got 3 more years to figure out how to stop Johnny Football and he's just going to get better. We need several DB's and Linebackers who run a sub 4.0 40 Are there any out there we can recruit?
    I don't see Mr. Manziel sticking around past next year. He's a redshirt freshman so he's been out of high school two years now. He'll be able to go pro after next year and he probably should.