Should aTm now be considered one of the SEC elite?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
TAMU is not one of the elite today. They are positioned to consistently be factor so long as Manziel is at the helm. Using the platform of competitiveness Manziel provides them, they should be able to enhance their recruiting too. The biggest misnomer coming into the game last week was that TAMU didn't have the horses to hang with Alabama. I disagreed because all of their skill positions were high quality and their OL was great on the bookends (and solid enough on the interior). Defensively, they made up for deficiencies with aggression which is always a tough cookie when that team's offense can put you into a hole quick. They might not be top to bottom talented as Alabama, but their top 40 wasn't so far off Alabama's level they couldn't compete.

TAMU has a bit more growth to get to elite status. This season may be a flash in the pan - I doubt it but who knows - because they have a unique talent at QB paired with NFL quality OTs that are likely gone after this season. Sumlin might have just had the perfect mix this year and may never replicate it as successfully again. Again, I doubt it but look at Franchoine he looked great when coaching Tomlinson at TCU and inheriting an admittedly very talented Alabama squad. He never recaptured that glory again in his career. I've thought Sumlin was the next great up-and-comer and TAMU has the ability to be elite in the SEC, but one year isn't a trend. Auburn won a title in 2010 and it certainly didn't trend for consistent contention in the SEC.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
At this point in the SEC:

1. Texas A&M
2. Bama
3. LSU (very very close to Bama)
4. UGA
5. UF
6. South Carolina
7. Miss St
8. Ole Miss
9. Vandy
10. Arkansas
11. UT
12. Missouri
13/14. UK/Auburn
If we are ranking programs from 1-14 you are not even close. Once again I question your allegiance. But just for the sanctity of truth, I will give you my top 14.

1. Alabama
2. LSU
3. UF
4. South Carolina
5. Texas A & M
6. Georgia
7. Miss St
8. Ole Miss
9. Arkansas
10. Auburn
11. UT
12. Vandy
13. Missouri
14. Kentucky

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
One thing that I think TAMU has at an advantage is that Sumlin coached under Sloccum and I think he believes in restoring the TAMU "Wrecking Crew" mentality on defense. I don't think they'll ever be an elite PPG defense because of the pace they play, but I think they will be a hard hitting defense that forces turnovers and QB hurries/sacks. I think we kinda saw that identity emerging last week.

squib

1st Team
Sep 24, 2005
Remember when Ole Miss beat Florida for the Gator's only loss in 2008? Ole Miss has been elite ever since.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.