Should aTm now be considered one of the SEC elite?

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
When aTm wins a national title for the SEC then I'll consider them elite. But not a second before then. Great win for them and they deserve respect and all that good stuff, however the SEC has set the highest standards in football.

txag2002

Nov 12, 2012
As an A&M grad/fan I'm going to agree with everyone that says "NO". One game/season doesn't make anyone elite - at the very least I think you have to win the conference to even stake a claim.

That said, I do think some of the "they played their best game, we played our worst" / "defenses will adapt next year" talk to be a little much. We basically spot our opponents a touchdown in every game with our kicking game and the interceptions were more a product of Alabama playing from behind than they were bad luck.

The general sentiment of Ags is exactly how I feel - we proved we can play with anyone (no one I know is saying we proved we can dominate everyone). Sure, on a different Saturday that game could have gone differently but imo anyone should be proud to be playing at the same level as the perennial #1 team in the country. Will check back in in a few years on the elite status though.

MightyWingman

1st Team
Jun 9, 2010
Houston, TX
No, we aren't "Elite" yet. Will we become "Elite"? Maybe in a year, maybe in a decade. Our last MNC was in 1939, so until we claim another one I'd emphatically say that we are not an "Elite" team. I do think we will get an MNC within the next couple of years (with the help of Johnny Football and his boys), that's just my opinion though.

BamaFossil

All-American
Jun 3, 2008
Williamsburg, VA
I think the rational thinkers realize it's premature to put the "elite" label on A&M. However, the confluence of (a) the SEC brand; (b) an outstanding university; (c) a large and passionate fan base; and (d) home field advantage in recruiting the state of Texas, offer the potential for A&M to establish themselves amongst the elite college sports schools in the nation. I think it'll happen sooner than many of us expect...
:pDT_old:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Saw an ESPN article about aTm being now considered an SEC elite. Is this the case or too much exuberance? They're a great team. They beat us in one game but I am wondering about that. I think when considering conference elite, one has to look at the last 2-3 years. They're still new. They were great yesterday but gimmicky usually runs out fast in the SEC. Thoughts?

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-...erformance-alabama-plus-week-11-takeaways-ncf

That's a pay-for link but it does have the first few paragraphs. His words. Not quite yet mine.
If Bama plays the Aggies in September, they win by 28.

brutetough

1st Team
Dec 11, 2010
They somehow reminds of Georgia Southern from last year..... It takes couple weeks to prepare for a team like this.

Bamafaninco1

All-SEC
May 14, 2011
Colorado Springs, CO via Cullman, Al
After yesterday, what do YOU think? We've got 3 more years to figure out how to stop Johnny Football and he's just going to get better. We need several DB's and Linebackers who run a sub 4.0 40 Are there any out there we can recruit?
I don't see Mr. Manziel sticking around past next year. He's a redshirt freshman so he's been out of high school two years now. He'll be able to go pro after next year and he probably should.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
I don't see Mr. Manziel sticking around past next year. He's a redshirt freshman so he's been out of high school two years now. He'll be able to go pro after next year and he probably should.
Doubt his game transfers to the nfl at this point. At best, he's got Drew Brees's height. But if he left early, he's definitely have to find an OC that would adapt to his abilities. I just don't see him as a long term statuesque, stand in the pocket NFL QB (e.g. Manning, Manning, Brady, Rivers, Flacco, Ryan)

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Doubt his game transfers to the nfl at this point. At best, he's got Drew Brees's height. But if he left early, he's definitely have to find an OC that would adapt to his abilities. I just don't see him as a long term statuesque, stand in the pocket NFL QB (e.g. Manning, Manning, Brady, Rivers, Flacco, Ryan)
I dont know about elite, but they have been pretty darn impressive for their first year in the league.

A lot of people were predicting a pretty rough season...I think have played some pretty good ball.

And, Johnny Manzeil is one heckuva exciting player to watch....even more impressive when you consider he's a true freshman!

TideLegacy

Scout Team
Nov 22, 2005
Dallas, TX
Johnny is too small to play NFL ball unless he grows 2 inches and adds on 25 lbs., even then he'd be small so my guess is he is at A&M for 4 years. But he will be a great college QB.

As for A&M now being in the SEC Elite, gotta tap the brakes on that one. However, as I said and thought with A&M going into the SEC...

A&M will win the SEC before Pig goes, and is well positioned to be a real threat to LSU and Bama on a consistant basis. As for the West division, I see Alabama and LSU continuing to fight for top honors, with A&M running a close 2nd/3rd, but A&M will almost always be ahead of the Miss. schools, Pig, and Barn. Likely comparable to UGA and USC, still trailing Florida, above Tenn. and the rest. Barn can be good on ocassion, but I'd expect A&M to be more competitive than Aurbun on year-in year-out basis.

So, I wouldn't consider A&M SEC Elite, but I'd consider them the #1 candidate knocking on the door to join the elite club, and A&M will compete and win in the SEC at a better/higher level than the other 3 latest newcomers Pig, USC, and Missouri.

One big win doesn't make A&M elite (even though if A&M played Florida right now they would probably beat the Gators as it is not Manziels first game this time around).

Still think Bama will finish 12-1 as SEC Champions. Murray is not a good QB and UGA will struggle to score 20 points.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
And, Johnny Manzeil is one heckuva exciting player to watch....even more impressive when you consider he's a true freshman![/QUOTE]

Not that it matters a great deal but he's a redshirt freshman. Still exciting to watch (frustrating Saturday) but he won't play QB at the next level IMO. Could be a reciever - kick/punt returner with a bit more muscle weight. I guarantee he's not 6' and 200 lbs. though. More like 5-8/5-9 at 185-190 maybe.

RTR!!!

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
As long as we beat Auburn, Texas A&M will finish third in the SEC West (Tied for second with LSU, but LSU beat them). Then again, LSU may lose again and put Texas A&M in second in the West. I don't think that makes them elite unless they hammer out a few ten win seasons in a row. They are certainly playing well right now, and they have a chance to finish with eleven wins on the season if they win their bowl game. That's pretty dang good, but I agree with others who say it has to be done for a few years to be considered elite.

Crimson57s

1st Team
Aug 18, 2012
Whether they are ever considered 'elite' or not, I have decided I officially hate the Aggies. I will always hate them. If we beat them every time for the next fifty years, it will never be enough to make up for what they did to my soul (and our team's season) last Saturday.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
At this point in the SEC:

1. Texas A&M
2. Bama
3. LSU (very very close to Bama)
4. UGA
5. UF
6. South Carolina
7. Miss St
8. Ole Miss
9. Vandy
10. Arkansas
11. UT
12. Missouri
13/14. UK/Auburn
Seriously? Doesn't aggy have 2 losses? Or are those magically erased after an upset win?

Who is this, Bill Dance? :troll:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.