Should aTm now be considered one of the SEC elite?

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
One game....one game...a 5 point win...one game.

Liberate yourselves. Don't be prisoners of the moment.
Yep, like I said we are the only ranked team they've beat. Besides us, they've beat Ole Miss, MSU, Arky, AU, Louisiana Tech, SMU, South Carolina State, and they have MIZZOU and Sam Houston St. We are the only good team they've beat, and they caught us at the perfect time. Don't make it into more than it is just yet.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
JM is this year's version of Cam Newton in terms of how he affects the game.

Let's see how they handle things in the long term, but in the meantime... in the next 2-3 years he's playing qb at TAM they are probably top 3 in the SECW with Bama and LSU.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
TAMU has earned a large place in the SEC West. IMO: to be considered as elite,
I would expect back to back, or several major wins a year for a couple of years.
Kevin Sumerlin, TAMU and certainly Johnny Manzelplayed a great game Saturday night.
I'm reminded of the old line from the Wrestler Rick Flair...
'To be the best, ya got to beat the best'... 'WHOOO'... ;)
This year TAMU beat us and we owe them a measure of respect.
We owe them enough to circle the date of next years game in Tx and attempt a little revenge.

Last edited:

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
At this point in the SEC:

1. Texas A&M
2. Bama
3. LSU (very very close to Bama)
4. UGA
5. UF
6. South Carolina
7. Miss St
8. Ole Miss
9. Vandy
10. Arkansas
11. UT
12. Missouri
13/14. UK/Auburn
Well, in over 100 years of football they have never won the SEC.

Last edited:

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Yep, like I said we are the only ranked team they've beat. Besides us, they've beat Ole Miss, MSU, Arky, AU, Louisiana Tech, SMU, South Carolina State, and they have MIZZOU and Sam Houston St. We are the only good team they've beat, and they caught us at the perfect time. Don't make it into more than it is just yet.
Ole Miss found a way to lose that game.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
No. No newcomer to any conference can be bestowed the title of an "elite program" in it's first year in that conference.
Yes, Johnny Manziel is a great football player, especially for a freshman. But imo he is a bit like Cam Newton - "lightning in a bottle". aTm is very lucky to have him. But without him, the rest of the team is rather average and I doubt they would have won anywhere near the number of games they have so far. They most certainly would not have beat Bama on Saturday.
So again, you can't bestow the title "elite" onto a program based solely on the exceptional abilities and accomplishments of a single player.
Let's wait a few years and see how their schedule and W/L records pan out. I'm not ready to crown them king of the hill just yet.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
One game....one game...a 5 point win...one game.

Liberate yourselves. Don't be prisoners of the moment.
Mack maybe I'm missing something didn't the Aggies LOSE 2 SEC games this year?

If so that puts CMR on the hot seat at Jawga right?

I agree with you don't be a prisoner of the moment.

rolltide1982

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 19, 2011
no!!!!! no disrespect to aTm, cause they took it to us saturday. that being said, these fast paced offenses that try to survive in the SEC never do. they are always gonna be 1 hit wonders. not aTm cant or wont become elite, they just wont be able to do it with the offense they have now. they are gonna have to change some things around cause these defensive coordinators in the sec catch on quick. aTm wont the element of suprise next year. roll tide roll

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
Here is a compairson from 1898 to 2011 - this is conference games and I didnt break it down . it doesnt include 2012. Has A&M ever been considered in the top 10 elite teams of all times? I would think you could name the top 10 teams off the top of your head and unless your an aggie fan they wont many many top 10 list.

I am not bashing A&M , in the least bit. I would suggest the title of this thread is a teaser and just bubble gum for the brain.

We have a 70% vs a 53% conference winning percentage. Would they be at 53% if they had play in the SEC for the past 40 years? Only time will tell.

you can do your own research.

http://football.stassen.com/records/conference.html

Last edited:

TexasAggie2002

Nov 12, 2012
Right now we're 2nd/3rd in the mix with LSU/Georgia I'd say.

(I'd take A&M against Georgia BTW)

Anyway, it depends a lot on if we can get our offensive tackles to return, and our defense has no depth, at all....none.

But on the positive side, we are sitting on a recruiting volcano, the difference between us and the University of Texas is that we can coach better and develop players better than they can. So we have potential to get better, but as of right now, for next year, depends on if eligible players leave for the NFL or not...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Anyway, it depends a lot on if we can get our offensive tackles to return, and our defense has no depth, at all....none.

But on the positive side, we are sitting on a recruiting volcano, the difference between us and the University of Texas is that we can coach better and develop players better than they can. So we have potential to get better, but as of right now, for next year, depends on if eligible players leave for the NFL or not...
Next year may be a rebuilding year for us. We lose two very valuable OL and whether the QB stays or jumps is a coin-flip at the moment. If he stays, we should be pretty good on offense, because arguably our two best WRs are out for the season. (White and Black, interestingly enough.) On defense, it's easy to see that this team is not the equal of last season's. If Milliner jumps, which is likely, some youngsters are going to have to step up for next year's DBs to equal this year's. Pretty much the same story on the DL and LBs...

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
Next year may be a rebuilding year for us. We lose two very valuable OL and whether the QB stays or jumps is a coin-flip at the moment. If he stays, we should be pretty good on offense, because arguably our two best WRs are out for the season. (White and Black, interestingly enough.) On defense, it's easy to see that this team is not the equal of last season's. If Milliner jumps, which is likely, some youngsters are going to have to step up for next year's DBs to equal this year's. Pretty much the same story on the DL and LBs...
That's a great point. Seems the losses after this yr will/could have a bigger impact than last yr.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Forgive me for using this phrase, will be young on the defensive side?

GADAWG1980

Scout Team
Sep 26, 2011
Between the hedges

If yall couldve taken care of business against lsu like bama did we could find out.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
Not yet. We get TAMU early next year (I believe), so if they beat Bama then, I might considering revisiting TAMU being an elite. Until then, they are GA/FLA/LSU in the merely really good team level.

GADAWG1980

Scout Team
Sep 26, 2011
Between the hedges
A lot of these so called experts,the usual cast of espn gasbags have anointed texas a and m elite. Considering that they have been in the league only one year theres no way that theyre elite. Yes they pulled a major upset and beat alabama yesterday. However,i believe that if they line up and play ten saturdays in a row on a neutral field alabama wins eight,nine maybe all of ten times. As far as manziel goes,hes a very good football player sure but defenses,especially defenses in this league dont stand pat. They make adjustments and you can bet manziels not gonna be sneaking up on anybody next year. Also really foolish words by the a and m wideout slope. Winning that game was a nice achievement but i sure wouldnt have been boasting that they beat the hell out of alabama in the fashion he did upon their return to texas after the game. I have a feeling alabamas coaching staff,players and definitely their fans will remember that.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.