Should aTm now be considered one of the SEC elite?

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Saw an ESPN article about aTm being now considered an SEC elite. Is this the case or too much exuberance? They're a great team. They beat us in one game but I am wondering about that. I think when considering conference elite, one has to look at the last 2-3 years. They're still new. They were great yesterday but gimmicky usually runs out fast in the SEC. Thoughts?

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-...erformance-alabama-plus-week-11-takeaways-ncf

That's a pay-for link but it does have the first few paragraphs. His words. Not quite yet mine.

Last edited:

Aggie Scott

Scout Team
May 1, 2012
You have to define elite. I think we are in the top 6 in the sec. For me, you have to win the sec a few times to be in the sec elite!

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
With all due respect to aTm, not yet. Sumlin has them on the right path and Manziel has 2/3 years left. Texas is loaded with talent and they'll attract the best with what they've shown so far. Next year maybe. Two years probably. Three years at this rate would result in a big YES.

RTR!!!

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
The unexpected advent of Manziel makes the difference this year. Absent the hurricane that blew up their schedule, they may have beaten Florida and maybe LSU, too. Against Alabama they won fair and square, but by a razor-thin margin where one play from the 2yd line would have reversed the decision. So, this year, yes, being up there among the Alabamas and LSUs should probably count as elite.

I disagree with Jess a bit that Manziel will be the all-star uncatchable unbeatable super QB next year. Oh, he'll be good. But Alabama had already put the shields up on him, 9 points in 3 quarters is about the same as anyone else. Next year will be determined to a far greater extent by normal attrition and recruiting, and Alabama doesn't play second fiddle in recruiting to anybody. The Aggies have arrived and made a mark in the SEC this year, but next year's results remain uncast.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
After yesterday, what do YOU think? We've got 3 more years to figure out how to stop Johnny Football and he's just going to get better. We need several DB's and Linebackers who run a sub 4.0 40 Are there any out there we can recruit?

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
At this point in the SEC:

1. Texas A&M
2. Bama
3. LSU (very very close to Bama)
4. UGA
5. UF
6. South Carolina
7. Miss St
8. Ole Miss
9. Vandy
10. Arkansas
11. UT
12. Missouri
13/14. UK/Auburn
One game folks one game. Bama had its worst game and A&M its best. Bama should have won but failed at the worst times possible. A&M made the plays. Last night's game is precisely why our conference was all for the playoff semifinal.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The elite team played its worst game of the year and the Aggies their best. Despite that, they were six feet from losing.

Do any of you think if we had WON the turnover battle 3-0 then aTm would have won? If not then they're not an elite team. Would they have been within six feet? Nope. Elite teams aren't always undefeated. Let's not overreact.

bmfcox

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 23, 2012
A&M is not elite, but is a very good team. I thought the defense bottled JM up the last 3 qtrs, although he made a couple good throws in the 4th qtr. JM is good but iI think NS and the defense will be better prepared next season.

h2o

1st Team
Dec 31, 2006
Winfield, Alabama
Elite / not yet. One season wonder / to be determined. In this conference you have to win the SEC Championship to be called "elite". All of this is my opinion of course.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
If my having Johnny Manziel nightmares last night is any gauge, then they're well on their way to becoming one of the SEC elite...

[And their defense showed yesterday that they're nothing to sneeze at either...]

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
A&M is very good, no doubt, but the SEC figures out offenses very quick. We figured out how to keep it in check in this game. We just made too many uncharacteristic mistakes, and came 2 yards from winning despite 3 TO's, refusing to trust our running game, and AJ missing lots of open receivers all day. I make no excuses, A&M did what they had to do to win, but let's not make this any more than what it is. We made a lot of mistakes and they took advantage. We are the only elite SEC team they have beat so far, so let's hold off crowning them elite just yet.

1Dawn

1st Team
Sep 18, 2009
A & M is the new kid on the block. To me, to be elite, you should have to serve your time. Even though they are a good team, they are still a two loss team this SEC season, losing to LSU and FL. Because they beat us and some other SEC teams (when we seemed to be playing at our worst), does not qualify them as elite in the SEC. Also, I do think one great QB can almost make a team, or at the very least score much more than they would with an avg. QB - think AU with Cam Newton. Look what happened to them after he left. Time will tell.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.