Interesting How Johnny Football Ended Up At Texas A@M

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Almost unbelievable but Rivals had Manziel rated as a three star prospect even though he threw for over 3,000 yards and rushed for over 1,600 yards his senior year in high school.

He had a bunch of offers but very few from the elite programs.

He grew up a huge Texas Longhorn fan and wanted badly to play for them. He even wrote them letters basically begging for an opportunity but they never offered him a scholarship.

At that point he committed to Oregon and was headed to the Northwest until Texas A@M offered him a scholarship.
He took it to stay closer to home.

Amazing story to me and just goes to show how wrong recruiting services can be.

That being said I'm actually glad he ended up at A@M. I think he's good for the SEC.

Not only that but I can't even begin to imagine how unstoppable Oregon's offense would be had he ended up there.

That's just down right scary to think about.

sip

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Texas offered RGIII as a DB. You can't get em all, but they sure miss out on some good ones. I think QB is one of the hardest positions to evaluate for college potential. If you want to look at high school QBs, look to Texas. Incredible what they turn out. RGIII, Luck, and Tannehill all first year NFL starters and Texas High School QBs.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I know one game or even one season does not make someone the best QB to ever play, but that young man has a gift and assuming he stays injury free and has a decent supporting cast he might go down in history as one of the SEC's greatest QBs.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I know one game or even one season does not make someone the best QB to ever play, but that young man has a gift and assuming he stays injury free and has a decent supporting cast he might go down in history as one of the SEC's greatest QBs.
I agree. There's been some very fast QB's and there's been some quick QB's. I don't know that I've ever seen a better combination of fast AND quick, and let me add elusive to that list and throw in a touch of poise and leadership.

Hard to believe that he's a true freshman.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
I agree. There's been some very fast QB's and there's been some quick QB's. I don't know that I've ever seen a better combination of fast AND quick, and let me add elusive to that list and throw in a touch of poise and leadership.

Hard to believe that he's a true freshman.
Note that he is a RS freshman.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
.I thought he was a true freshman. I stand corrected.

Note-Baylor and Iowa State were the only Big 12 schools to offer him and A@M was the only SEC school.

Most of his offers were from schools like Tulsa and Louisiana Tech.

This kid almost totally flew under the radar even though he was named Parade All American.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Sip, what struck me is how long he extends plays. If our read breaks down, the ball gets thrown over the bench. With Manziel, his feet keep moving and his eyes keep scanning the field. Born to play quarterback.

bamaman65

All-SEC
Feb 27, 2006
North Alabama
.I thought he was a true freshman. I stand corrected. Note-Baylor and Iowa State were the only Big 12 schools to offer him and A@M was the only SEC school. Most of his offers were from schools like Tulsa and Louisiana Tech. This kid almost totally flew under the radar even though he was named Parade All American.
Where were we? Were we not interested because he is not a dropback passer?

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
IMO, one reason UF and LSU came from behind and beat TAMU was both of those teams have more team speed on defense than we do and both have better pass rushes. He did the same thing to both of them in the first half that he did to us in the first half.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
.I thought he was a true freshman. I stand corrected.

Note-Baylor and Iowa State were the only Big 12 schools to offer him and A@M was the only SEC school.

Most of his offers were from schools like Tulsa and Louisiana Tech.

This kid almost totally flew under the radar even though he was named Parade All American.
I thought he was too and decided to look it up last week.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Probably the most amazing thing is that Manziel was recruited by the previous coaching regime. Without a doubt in my mind, Manziel would not see the type of success he is seeing if it weren't for Sumlin's wide open spread it out offense. A perfect storm if their ever was one!

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Sip, what struck me is how long he extends plays. If our read breaks down, the ball gets thrown over the bench. With Manziel, his feet keep moving and his eyes keep scanning the field. Born to play quarterback.
The play is definitely never over until he's on the ground lol...he is very difficult to defend that's for sure.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
IMO, one reason UF and LSU came from behind and beat TAMU was both of those teams have more team speed on defense than we do and both have better pass rushes. He did the same thing to both of them in the first half that he did to us in the first half.
Well here's my theory and I stated it in the first half Saturday. I told my buddies that I honestly think Manziel is so active and runs so much that he eventually tires during the game and loses some effectiveness. I think that happened against LSU and Florida both and in all honesty we handled him pretty well as the game progressed. We just didn't take advantage of our chances to get the lead when we had the ball down six and then three etc. We had ample opportunities to win the game in the second half.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
Well here's my theory and I stated it in the first half Saturday. I told my buddies that I honestly think Manziel is so active and runs so much that he eventually tires during the game and loses some effectiveness. I think that happened against LSU and Florida both and in all honesty we handled him pretty well as the game progressed. We just didn't take advantage of our chances to get the lead when we had the ball down six and then three etc. We had ample opportunities to win the game in the second half.
I'll buy that. We didn't lose Saturday night because of Manziel, we lost because we could only muster 10 points in the second half against a mediocre defense. We would have lost against several other SEC teams as well with that kind of performance.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
That would be my guess. We weren't even listed as schools showing interest.
Why would Alabama settle for QBs who are good at handing off and throwing? It would seem that Bama would have a great chance at whatever type QB they wanted.

bamaman65

All-SEC
Feb 27, 2006
North Alabama
Why would Alabama settle for QBs who are good at handing off and throwing? It would seem that Bama would have a great chance at whatever type QB they wanted.
A dropback passer may be best for pros because he would get killed running. In college I have always thought that a qb that is a threat to run is by far best. They are most dangerous when the pass protection breaks down.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.