Interesting How Johnny Football Ended Up At Texas A@M

EscaTider

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2008
Flomaton, AL
IMO, one reason UF and LSU came from behind and beat TAMU was both of those teams have more team speed on defense than we do and both have better pass rushes. He did the same thing to both of them in the first half that he did to us in the first half.
I think the biggest reason they lost to Florida was that it was aTm's first game of the year, and they hadn't quite gotten everyone on the same page. If they played right now, especially considering how the two teams have played in recent weeks, the Aggies would likely win somewhere in the neighborhood of 34-17.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
As a guy near me said Saturday during the second half..."he's like a slick weasel."

I don't know what his 40 time is, but I think he may be one of those guys who is just a step quicker than everybody around him.

He has incredible agility and quickness in crowded areas and those are things that are not taught.

He's this year's Cam Newton but Cam left for the NFL after just one year. Let's see how JM does after some pretty good coaches make some adjustments on him.

This story is still be written and it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
As a guy near me said Saturday during the second half..."he's like a slick weasel."

I don't know what his 40 time is, but I think he may be one of those guys who is just a step quicker than everybody around him.

He has incredible agility and quickness in crowded areas and those are things that are not taught.

He's this year's Cam Newton but Cam left for the NFL after just one year. Let's see how JM does after some pretty good coaches make some adjustments on him.

This story is still be written and it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.
What I noticed that makes him so elusive is how he (and this is going to sound beyond gay but here it goes) moves his lower body (legs) when in traffic. He "gets small" (as John Madden used to say) in tight spots and makes it hard for defenders to knock his legs out from under him.

***NOTE: This is the Football board and I realize there are jewels and riches of words and phrases some of you sick minded Non-Sports Board members would love to "jump on" but please resist the temptation. :biggrin2:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

4.53 in high school. He looks a bit faster now to me.

TexasAggie2002

Nov 12, 2012
Plain and simple he ended up at A&M because Mack Brown is a BLITHERING idiot.

Mack kind of offered him to come as a corner or saftey.

Mack can't coach. Nick can. Their both paid 5 mill +

Texas has Mack locked up till 2020. Here is hoping they extend him further.

EDITED BY: Bamabuzzard Please read board policies about language and the implication of...

Last edited by a moderator:

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
Mack kind of offered him to come as a corner or saftey.
That's a perfect example of recruiting by the numbers. JF didn't have the "numbers" to play quarterback for Texas. What I mean by that is he didn't have the physical characteristics that they were looking for. It happens all the time. You can't really blame them too much because judging future potential is a really, really hard thing. A&M took a chance on him and struck gold. I actually think it's kind of neat that he proved them all wrong.

venegoni

Scout Team
Mar 18, 2007
In the first quarter we did not contain the backside. We also only had three down lineman. Johnny exploited that and when he gets open in space he is hard to bring down. I think he is a great player but he is no Cam Newton. He also has two NFL first rounders protecting him at tackle. Once we adjusted we handled them pretty well shutting them down in the red zone.

I think our guys got caught up in the LSU win as we were obviously not playing at our best. Couple that with a beat up QB and defense and you get a loss in Nov when the other team is playing their best FB.

Sabine Free Sta

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 3, 2012
Manziel doesn't have the size or style the NFL likes so we probably will be watching him play (and improve) for another 3 years. Maybe he will get tired of football and just play baseball.

TexasAggie2002

Nov 12, 2012
In the first quarter we did not contain the backside. We also only had three down lineman. Johnny exploited that and when he gets open in space he is hard to bring down. I think he is a great player but he is no Cam Newton. He also has two NFL first rounders protecting him at tackle. Once we adjusted we handled them pretty well shutting them down in the red zone.

I think our guys got caught up in the LSU win as we were obviously not playing at our best. Couple that with a beat up QB and defense and you get a loss in Nov when the other team is playing their best FB.
You're right, he's no Cam Newton - He is faster, more elusive, and more accurate, he was also $186,000 cheaper than Cam Newton. (Cam is bigger, and stronger, and has a more powerful arm)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.