Interesting How Johnny Football Ended Up At Texas A@M

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
We have a QB on our roster that plays in the mold as Manziel..Would y'all like to see Blake Sims used more often just to give our offense a change of pace & give the D we're playing against something extra to think about..

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
We have a QB on our roster that plays in the mold as Manziel..Would y'all like to see Blake Sims used more often just to give our offense a change of pace & give the D we're playing against something extra to think about..
Maybe in special situations but I really have never liked a two QB system.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Maybe in special situations but I really have never liked a two QB system.
Honestly..I've never liked it either sip..But..I would love to see Blake given a shot more often now & get some valuable game time reps this year..Especially when it appears this will be AJ's last season at Bama according to a lot of folks..I think it could give our O a spark when we get into those 3 & out funks we've had lately..

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
I still think Marcus Mariotta would beat JM out as a starter in Oregon. He definitely gave us fits. The reason aTm lost to UF and LSU wasn't because they have a faster defense. It was because aTm didn't turn the ball over. Johnny is better than he was at the beginning of the season and turned the ball over 3 times in each of their 2 losses. UA turned the ball over 3 times and Johnny didn't turn it over at all. We still had the opportunity to beat them and should have. A&M was very fortunate and lucky on some tipped, and battered balls to get 3rd downs. Everything was going their way and we just couldn't catch a break. That's the way it goes sometimes. We don't have the luck of dang Notre Dame.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Alabama doesn't feature a running QB, but by seasons end, the Alabama QB is all beat up playing behind the best OL in the nation. Would there really be anymore risk with an athletic QB?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Honestly..I've never liked it either sip..But..I would love to see Blake given a shot more often now & get some valuable game time reps this year..Especially when it appears this will be AJ's last season at Bama according to a lot of folks..I think it could give our O a spark when we get into those 3 & out funks we've had lately..
I think if we committed to that type of offense that Blake could make us successful. He's a terrific athlete and he can actually throw the ball as well. At the same time, I kinda like the offense we've been running for awhile...oh....let's see...since about 2007 :)

uofaJO1987

1st Team
Oct 25, 2011
Highland Home, AL
Whoever said he didn't have the physical characteristics to play at Texas, he looks about the same size as Colt McCoy. Difference is Johnny Football is better, and probably not a wimp like Colt in the national championship.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Texas offered RGIII as a DB. You can't get em all, but they sure miss out on some good ones. I think QB is one of the hardest positions to evaluate for college potential. If you want to look at high school QBs, look to Texas. Incredible what they turn out. RGIII, Luck, and Tannehill all first year NFL starters and Texas High School QBs.
Don't forget Stafford, Brees and our own Greg McElroy either. Granted, McElroy isn't starting, but he's in the NFL.

Aggie Scott

Scout Team
May 1, 2012
Texas was considering Manziel as a safety!
Mack has owned the state of Texas in recruiting for a long time. He has missed on qbs for awhile. In case you guys didn't know, there was a seismic shift in the state of Texas recruiting world on Saturday! It was shifting slowly with the sec thing, but now that recruits know we will do more than compete, we have become the preferred texas school!

braggtd

Suspended
Sep 25, 2011
Texas was considering Manziel as a safety!
Mack has owned the state of Texas in recruiting for a long time. He has missed on qbs for awhile. In case you guys didn't know, there was a seismic shift in the state of Texas recruiting world on Saturday! It was shifting slowly with the sec thing, but now that recruits know we will do more than compete, we have become the preferred texas school!
I have to disagree with this statement. You guys will definitely do more than compete in the SEC, but Texas still owns Texas. I am born and raised here and I know the pecking order for Texas recruits goes UT, OU/TAMU and then everyone else. Take a look at where this year top kids are going from the state: http://247sports.com/Season/2013-Football/CompositeRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=TX.

Perhaps you guys can close the gap after a few successful seasons assuming UT still struggles, but I don't think you will ever top them. That is like the Cowboys/Texans or the Bama/Barn debate. The Texans have been more successful over the past few years and the Boys are regrettably stuck with Jerry Jones until he croaks. However, Dallas still owns 70% of the Texas fan base as does the Tide (guesstimates). You do have a great QB and coach so your future is bright!

Aggie Scott

Scout Team
May 1, 2012
Almost unbelievable but Rivals had Manziel rated as a three star prospect even though he threw for over 3,000 yards and rushed for over 1,600 yards his senior year in high school.

He had a bunch of offers but very few from the elite programs.

He grew up a huge Texas Longhorn fan and wanted badly to play for them. He even wrote them letters basically begging for an opportunity but they never offered him a scholarship.

At that point he committed to Oregon and was headed to the Northwest until Texas A@M offered him a scholarship.
He took it to stay closer to home.

Amazing story to me and just goes to show how wrong recruiting services can be.

That being said I'm actually glad he ended up at A@M. I think he's good for the SEC.

Not only that but I can't even begin to imagine how unstoppable Oregon's offense would be had he ended up there.

That's just down right scary to think about.

sip
Something you should realize about Texas high school football. Most of your D1 prospects come from 5A programs. Manziel is from kerville which is a 3A program. He did well but 3 A athletes are not 5A level. So, there were probably some doubts on just how good he really was at the time. Fortunately, Sherman has a great nose for talent. There have been some great qbs from 3A programs though. Stephen McGee, Colt McCoy, Ryan Tannehill to name a few. My point is if JM had the same numbers in high school playing for a 5A powerhouse like Southlake Carol, ther would have been no doubt and every college in the country would have made a run at him. Oregon and A&M did their homework on him and took a shot. He was in Mack Brown's back yard (maybe 50 miles) and he didn't see the talent level begging him to give him a shot!

Aggie Scott

Scout Team
May 1, 2012
I have to disagree with this statement. You guys will definitely do more than compete in the SEC, but Texas still owns Texas. I am born and raised here and I know the pecking order for Texas recruits goes UT, OU/TAMU and then everyone else. Take a look at where this year top kids are going from the state: http://247sports.com/Season/2013-Football/CompositeRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&State=TX.

Perhaps you guys can close the gap after a few successful seasons assuming UT still struggles, but I don't think you will ever top them. That is like the Cowboys/Texans or the Bama/Barn debate. The Texans have been more successful over the past few years and the Boys are regrettably stuck with Jerry Jones until he croaks. However, Dallas still owns 70% of the Texas fan base as does the Tide (guesstimates). You do have a great QB and coach so your future is bright!
You will see that I am right very soon!

TexasAggie2002

Nov 12, 2012
While recruiting is the fuel that feeds the program, there is still another piece, and that is the coaching engine that COACHES them up into good players. Imagine if Saban did all his work recruiting in January/February and then went on vacation the rest of the year after the class was signed.....That's Mack Brown. He is clueless as a coach. An amazing recruiter, but clueless as a coach. He's been through like 5 coordinators in the last 5 years....that's an issue. A&M's recruiting is coming on strong, and our COACH is also. The power structure in Texas is switching, it is the perfect storm of new conference and coach.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
whats most impressive about Manzeil is his elusiveness...He's just so shifty and moves very lightly on his feet....

As someone said earlier, hes a slick weasel...just cant get a firm hold on him.

And he is pretty accurate passing while on the run...thats a hard thing to do.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.