Bama still #1 in Sagarin ratings

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
We are not the number one team in the nation. Too many injuries, too much inexperience on the field and in the play calling department. I think we've got some great talent that will develop into another championship team. But IMO we're not the best team in the country.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
Sadly, right now, we are not the best team in the nation. If our guys play up to their ability, and we bring our A game every game then yes we are, but right now we have too many injuries and not enough experience on d.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
The ELO_CHESS ranking is the one that matters - as far as the BCS is concerned - from the Sagarin ratings. It has us currently at #9 with ND at #1, KState at #2, and Oregon at #5.

It does, though, have Georgia at #4 which would help us immensely if we were to come away with a win against them in Atlanta. :)

If Notre Dame loses between now and the end of the regular season and we win out (including a win over Georgia in the SECCG) there is a chance, though slim, that we could jump Kansas State in the BCS rankings even though they would be undefeated - meaning we really need USC to beat Notre Dame.

Oregon's last three games here are very tough, as they will be playing some combination of 3 out of 4 Pac12 teams in the top 20 in the BCS rankings in Stanford, Oregon State, and then either USC or UCLA. While this means that they have a pretty good chance of dropping one of those games, it virtually guarantees them the number one spot in both the human polls and the computer rankings if they emerge unscathed.

If Notre Dame were to lose to USC (on the same day we beat the Barn mercilessly :evilgrin: ) then, going into the SEC Championship Game, the rankings would look something like this:

Oregon: BCS #1, Harris #1, Coaches #1, Computers #1, Composite ~ .9800
Kansas State: BCS #2, Harris #2, Coaches #2, Computers #2, Composite ~ .9600
Alabama: BCS #3, Harris #3, Coaches #3, Computers #4, Composite ~ .9050
Georgia: BCS #4, Harris #4, Coaches #4, Computers #5, Composite ~ .9000
Florida: BCS #5, Harris #5, Coaches #5, Computers #3, Composite ~ .8950

A win over Georgia, when it comes to the computers, basically gives us a win over Florida as well. If we beat Georgia in the SECCG then we're almost guaranteed to be #2 in the computer rankings over an undefeated Kansas State, and probably even an undefeated Notre Dame for that matter. If Kansas State does anything besides blow out Texas in their last game and we handle Georgia like we are capable of doing then it's likely a coin-flip between us and Kansas State for the number two spot in the two human polls.

We would have to jump Kansas State in one of the two human polls in order to jump them in the overall BCS Rankings. The computers alone are not enough. We would only look to have an advantage of 0.1250 to 0.1500 over Kansas State in the computer ranking total and that's too small of an amount to realistically expect to be more than the difference of both of the human polls combined.

Bottom lines:
- If we win out and any two of the top-3 undefeated teams lose then we're in the BCS National Championship Game. No other one-loss team would be able to jump us.
- If we win out, Oregon wins out, KState wins out, and Notre Dame loses to USC then we've got about a 20% chance of making it into the BCSCG.
- If we win out, KState wins out, and one of the other two wins out (doesn't matter which one) then we've got somewhere around a 5%-10% chance of making it into the BCSCG.
- If we win out and all three of the top-3 undefeated teams win out then we have exactly 0.000% chance of making it into the BCSCG.

We're not out but we have to have help.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
The one that matters to me is not the same one that matters to the BCS.
Agreed.
It may not mean anything in terms of the BCS, but it still means that we would be favored over anybody on a neutral field.
Still, though, gotta win the games. Best team or not, we now just have to root for certain teams to lose.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
We are not the number one team in the nation. Too many injuries, too much inexperience on the field and in the play calling department. I think we've got some great talent that will develop into another championship team. But IMO we're not the best team in the country.
Can't agree Buzzard. I truly think we're better than anybody ahead of us. I see where you're coming from and yes we need improvement big time, but looking at the three teams now ahead of us I just don't think they could beat us in a one game scenario. Of course I also lost a four team parlay Saturday because I bet on Bama so what in the heck do I know lol..

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
The voters are not going to vote a 1 loss SEC team over an undefeated team this year, just not going to happen. The only way we get in is if 2 of the 3 lose.

I just have this feeling that all 3 are going to make it through unbeaten, I hope not but I just feel like it is going to happen. The only thing that would be good about that is seeing ND left out of the CG after going 12-0, that would put a smile on my face!

Tider n LA

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2003
Alabama
The voters are not going to vote a 1 loss SEC team over an undefeated team this year, just not going to happen. The only way we get in is if 2 of the 3 lose.

I just have this feeling that all 3 are going to make it through unbeaten, I hope not but I just feel like it is going to happen. The only thing that would be good about that is seeing ND left out of the CG after going 12-0, that would put a smile on my face!
Assuming Bama wins out and the top 3 stay unbeaten, Bama-ND Sugar Bowl would be a big draw.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
We're number 1 because we hold a huge edge in his Pure Points Predictor, which is the most accurate.

Basically he's saying a healthy Tide should beat everyone, probably by 10+.

Problem is, we're not healthy. Not by a long shot. Hopefully these next two games won't be so taxing and we'll be closer to strength for UGA.

45longcolt

All-SEC
Dec 30, 2007
Warrior 35180
What I want to know is how would the present BCS standings play out if this was with the new way of playing off the top 4 or 6 or 8 whatever it is???

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.