Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

If we still had McElwain?

If we still had McElwain I think we run the ball more against LSU and win a little easier and give the D a little rest and the same thing with ATM. The main reason is he knows the sec defenses a little better so he grounds and pounds a little more.

I am not bashing or saying anything bad about Nussmeier but I just think experience was key this year. If we have such a good O-line and its our strength I think McElwain would have run the ball 3 times and maybe a play action at the end of the ATM game and we score vs Nussmeier who passes the ball and does not use our o line.

thoughts?

Again not bashing just thinking experience would have helped although I know styles are slightly different too.

2. Advertisement
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Re: If we still had McElwain?

Nuss will learn. McElwain went through the same growing process. Nuss is a young OC and he will grow with mistakes and successes. I'm completely satisfied with his hire and taking into context his experience and inexperience in the OC role I'm happy with his performance. He's made mistakes no doubt but you can tell he's going to be one helluva playcaller when he gets more experience under his belt.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation All-American theballguy's Avatar
    Behind is in Colorado Springs, heart in Alabama
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I have no issues with Nuss. It's not like you can bring back McElwain anyways. Nuss was a fantastic hire and I still believe it. I think he made some mistakes personally but that's just my opinion. They weren't mistakes enough to make me seriously question him at this point though. I think he'll do just fine as he improves. RTR
    I know what it takes to win. If I can sell them on what it takes to win, then we are not going to lose too many football games. - Coach Paul Bryant and I can see Coach Nick Saban agreeing completely.

I am happy with him too and think he will be better for our qbs. He has a bright future here and on but I am just mainly talking about the past two games.

My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by AlexD View Post
    I am happy with him too and think he will be better for our qbs. He has a bright future here and on but I am just mainly talking about the past two games.
    Of course. The "McElwain" that had four years under his belt would have called a better game. But that's a little bit of an unfair comparison to even bring up. The "McElwain" in his first year as an SEC OC? Who knows, he might not have done any better.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Second Team

If I recall correctly, there were complaints of his playcalling also. I agree with Buzzard, Nuss will learn from his mistakes. Like CNS said, if we would have run and failed people would be asking why we didn't pass. Personally, I would have loved to see us run on every down once we got to the 6 though...

My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMark. View Post
    If I recall correctly, there were complaints of his playcalling also. I agree with Buzzard, Nuss will learn from his mistakes. Like CNS said, if we would have run and failed people would be asking why we didn't pass. Personally, I would have loved to see us run on every down once we got to the 6 though...
    It's football. We're not going to dominate every year. Teams with good coaching and good talent have the ability to scheme and beat us. That's what makes keeping score so fun. It brings out the competitive juices in everybody. Our staff has to constantly evaluate, tweak, get better, recruit and adjust. Which I know they already do. We've hit a speed bump this season. Okay, no big deal. I wish all speed bumps were of the 9-1 variety. LOL!

BamaNation Second Team

Quote Originally Posted by Bamabuzzard View Post
    It's football. We're not going to dominate every year. Teams with good coaching and good talent have the ability to scheme and beat us. That's what makes keeping score so fun. It brings out the competitive juices in everybody. Our staff has to constantly evaluate, tweak, get better, recruit and adjust. Which I know they already do. We've hit a speed bump this season. Okay, no big deal. I wish all speed bumps were of the 9-1 variety. LOL!
    All true. And with some luck we can get back in it.

BamaNation All-American CHATTBRIT's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

Admittedly I don't understand a lot of the technical aspects of the game, but I refuse to criticize this coaching staff and the players over one game. The staff made huge adjustments after the debacle of the first quarter, but, the damage was done. These men sacrifice time with their families and normal social activities to be an outstanding football team. With all of A&M's offense, It is ironic that Alabama was beaten by their defense at the end. All I can say now is RTR
    My basset hound, Henry. 10-14-1998 - 04-09-2012
    Remembering Victor Ellis #9
    I would rather burn an American flag to protect the Constitution than burn the Constitution to protect the American flag

BamaNation Second Team MasterGracey's Avatar

I guess I'm still the only one that isn't crazy about nuss. The last play in end zone was terrible. I was yelling for the play we beat AU with in 2009. Instead we run Bell in motion--for the first time all day I believe--directly at a slot receiver already guarded on a short field to boot. There simply wasn't room for two receivers and one to get open.

Also seems several times when AJ had nowhere to throw that we had receivers very close to each other, making them much easier to defend. Perhaps they just aren't running their routes properly, but these types of plays should never happen.

LA Tech scored 50 on aTm. We couldn't get half of that at BDS. Must be a reason, and I feel it's a combo of poor play calling and poor execution.

BamaNation Second Team MasterGracey's Avatar

Let me also add...

Don't forget Nuss wasn't CNS first choice. He wanted Pease. Pease went to interview with Muschamp and was supposed to then go to ttown. He sent Nick a text from Gainesville saying that meeting wouldn't be necessary.

Not saying Pease would have been the fix-all, just saying CNS wanted to meet with him first.

We complained when we had McElwain that our playcalling was too predictable. I think we also have a much better redzone production this year than we had with Coach Mac. I guess the grass is always greener...

Don't forget, if AC gets the pick on the safety, Bell is wide open for an easy TD. Game over. Great call. It's all about the execution.

BamaNation First Team lincoln_osiris's Avatar
    My Mood
    Amused on TideFans.com

If we score on that last drive they are great calls. If we run it 4 times and get stuffed, then we would ask why didn't we throw. Just like Saban said, he doesn't question the play calling at the end of the game. Obviously in retrospect you make a different call cause the one we called didn't work.
    I'm a lead farmer