Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Where ever there's BBQ, Crawfish & Football
    My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Re: If we still had McElwain?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    I guess I'm still the only one that isn't crazy about nuss. The last play in end zone was terrible. I was yelling for the play we beat AU with in 2009. Instead we run Bell in motion--for the first time all day I believe--directly at a slot receiver already guarded on a short field to boot. There simply wasn't room for two receivers and one to get open.

Also seems several times when AJ had nowhere to throw that we had receivers very close to each other, making them much easier to defend. Perhaps they just aren't running their routes properly, but these types of plays should never happen.

LA Tech scored 50 on aTm. We couldn't get half of that at BDS. Must be a reason, and I feel it's a combo of poor play calling and poor execution.
    He's new on the job. I'd cut him some slack. He's learning. I like his aggressive nature. He pushes the ball down field. Which if I recall was one of the complaints about McElwain. Not going more down field. Well, Nuss seems very comfortable slicing and dicing the defense with aggressive down field passing. He just needs to know when and when not to stay with the pass. That's part of the learning process. He's not a seasoned veteran coach at the OC position. He's still learning and learning in tough conference.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"It cost a lot of money to look this cheap."-Dolly Parton.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American BAMA1979's Avatar

I guess I'm still the only one that isn't crazy about nuss. The last play in end zone was terrible. I was yelling for the play we beat AU with in 2009. Instead we run Bell in motion--for the first time all day I believe--directly at a slot receiver already guarded on a short field to boot. There simply wasn't room for two receivers and one to get open.

Also seems several times when AJ had nowhere to throw that we had receivers very close to each other, making them much easier to defend. Perhaps they just aren't running their routes properly, but these types of plays should never happen.

LA Tech scored 50 on aTm. We couldn't get half of that at BDS. Must be a reason, and I feel it's a combo of poor play calling and poor execution.
    You really can't compare scores of games like that. Every situation and scenario is different. Where games fall on schedules is huge and whether it's right or wrong, the level of effort and energy the players have changes based on who the opponent is. I watched the second half of that game against La Tech. A&M didn't want to be there and La Tech did.

BamaNation Second Team

I don't think you are alone and I am not crazy about him at the moment. However, I do think he will learn from this game and get better. Some of his playcalling this year has been brilliant, while other times not so much. The reason we didn't hang 50 on aTm had as much to do with execution as with playcalling. Nuss didn't miss wide open receivers or fumble or throw interceptions. That's not a knock on AJ or anyone else, it's just the facts. I have confidence this team will rebound though and it will get interesting before the year is finished.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

I'm happy with Nuss' performance. CNS didn't throw him under the bus about the last play. He did say he wished we would have run it on 1st down.

Somebody mentioned Nuss being CNS's second choice to Pease. Have you seen Florida's offense this year? They are not burning it up. It's true we've got more horses right now, but I think we are going to be just fine!

BamaNation First Team fralo4tide's Avatar

My concern has been that Nuss's pass first mentality might lead him to a fate similar to that of Major Applewhite. Was there not some friction between Saban and Applewhite over this?

Some of you more in the know than myself might can comment on this.

BamaNation Second Team MasterGracey's Avatar

If we still had McElwain?

Quote Originally Posted by BAMA1979 View Post
    You really can't compare scores of games like that. Every situation and scenario is different. Where games fall on schedules is huge and whether it's right or wrong, the level of effort and energy the players have changes based on who the opponent is. I watched the second half of that game against La Tech. A&M didn't want to be there and La Tech did.
    Exactly... aTm was having more fun. What happened to making his --- quit? And while I partially agree with you on comparisons, comparing our performance against MI to ND's performance against them will be one of the most important things voters consider if we want to creep back up the rankings.

I hate to sound so negative and disagree with so many of you. I just think a program like ours deserves better than citing an OC's inexperience as an excuse. Isn't that what our friends across the state have been doing all season?

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Exactly... aTm was having more fun. What happened to making his --- quit? And while I partially agree with you on comparisons, comparing our performance against MI to ND's performance against them will be one of the most important things voters consider if we want to creep back up the rankings.

I hate to sound so negative and disagree with so many of you. I just think a program like ours deserves better than citing an OC's inexperience as an excuse. Isn't that what our friends across the state have been doing all season?
    Some days the other team is just better. It's one of those weird things about sports. It's why you play the game on the field and not on paper.

TAMU was just better Saturday...at least they were better in the first quarter and that was effectively the ball game.

As BB said earlier there is no need for panic or mass change. We just need to do what we do in a better way, which was the message of CNS's post game comments.

My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Unfortunately we saw it with McElwain so it is impossible to deny a learning curve exist. You can express how you think it ought to be but reality and evidence we've seen right before our very eyes point to the contrary. McElwain went through a growing process, had to adjust to the SEC and had to simply grow as a playcaller in general. Now what makes us think that Nuss should be held to a higher standard and be perfect from the get go is beyond me.
    The existence of God isn't determined in the thoughts of man. God exist, no matter what man thinks.

"If you ever want to know how good your barbecue is start charging for it"-Myron Mixon

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Seems like grinding away at the other team has been a successful M.O. for Bama the past few years. Saban always talks about offensive balance, and we did not have it Saturday. We played right into A&M's hands.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

BamaNation All-SEC
    My Mood
    Twisted on TideFans.com

Take away a fumble and interception at the goal line and we aren"t having this conversation . rtr...

My Mood
    Cheerful on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by cbi1972 View Post
    Seems like grinding away at the other team has been a successful M.O. for Bama the past few years. Saban always talks about offensive balance, and we did not have it Saturday. We played right into A&M's hands.
    Totally agree. And as great as Coach Saban is we still have to remember he's human (OMG I HOPE I DON'T HAVE TO BAN MYSELF! ). He makes mistakes during games, has those post game thoughts of "I wish I would have done....". It happens. Now, after losing and getting the "pressure" of number one off our backs I wouldn't be surprised if even Coach Saban doesn't "take a deep breath" or two and go back and watch some tape of our last three games or so and come away learning something. I guess some of the older fans have worn off on me and I'm not taking this loss as I probably would have a few years ago.

But I've got full confidence in our staff, players and the direction we're going. As I mentioned in another thread, I wish all of our "bumps in the road" were going from 9-0 to 9-1. LOL!

BamaNation Second Team TideHiFlyer's Avatar

Jim could frustrate us too with his play calling in the red zone. Nuss is just mirroring what has been pretty successful for us in the past. Nuss cant throw the ball for AJ who has a small case of the yips right now. We're gonna be fine and besides, look to the bright side, AJ will be back next year.
    Last edited by TideHiFlyer; November 12th, 2012 at 11:40 AM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Alasippi's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cloud_9 on TideFans.com

I like Nuss better than I did Mac. Both are very good but I like the aggressiveness of Nuss.
    One thing he needs to get away from though is basically abandoning our game plan when we get behind.