Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TideFan in AU's Avatar
    Almost close enough to the pasture to smell it!
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtroadlizard View Post
    Take away a fumble and interception at the goal line and we aren"t having this conversation . rtr...
    True enough, but the way Eddie was running the ball, I would have rather seen us to try to run the power running game with 1st and 6. It had worked twice earlier, and it is what we do best. If we had lined up and mashed them, I don't think we're talking about an INT on 4th and 2.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame TideFan in AU's Avatar
    Almost close enough to the pasture to smell it!
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: If we still had McElwain?

Another aspect to throwing the ball where we did greatly increases the chance of a turnover. If we pound the ball and stall out, they get the ball at 1 or 2 yard line and we have still have 2 TO's.

If you look at the game, Bama's defense was off or at least a step behind. It seemed as if we were stubborn and refused to admit our base package wasn't gonna cut it. The players they had on the field were recruited for smash mouth football. I know the games over but man we didn't adjust till we were forced.

BamaNation Hall of Fame RJ YellowHammer's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by dirtroadlizard View Post
    Take away a fumble and interception at the goal line and we aren"t having this conversation . rtr...
    Winner.
    "This is not the end. This is the beginning." - Nick Saban, at the 2009 NC celebration at B-D.

Remember the good ole days with the "jumbo package". Personally I think we have it really good folks. It does not matter one bit who the OC is and what plays he calls. If it works he a genius and if it doesn't then maybe he's not the right man for the job. What if that screen to Yeldon doesn't work last week against LSU. I mean AJ was passing downfield almost at will on that drive...and we have the nerve to call a screen. If Yeldon gets tackled for a minimal gain or even a loss, the clock continues to run, and suddenly that's the stupidest call anyone could have made. Coaches make the calls because they've practiced them and trust the players to execute. I wouldn't trade any of our coaches or players on this team for anyone else.

BamaNation Hall of Fame jthomas666's Avatar
    My Mood
    Stressed on TideFans.com

It's not so much If we still had McElwain, but rather, if we still had Jalston Fowler.
    I may disagree with you, but I'm pretty sure you're not Hitler.

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
    It's not so much If we still had McElwain, but rather, if we still had Jalston Fowler.
    We were discussing this very thing at the game when we were down at the goal line. Would have made that decision to run much easier.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln osiris View Post
    If we score on that last drive they are great calls. If we run it 4 times and get stuffed, then we would ask why didn't we throw. Just like Saban said, he doesn't question the play calling at the end of the game. Obviously in retrospect you make a different call cause the one we called didn't work.

THis. I don't hear you criticizing any of the plays during the other 58 minutes of the game. There were times I thought play calling got bland, but I have very little criticism for the last series. The definition of a good play caller is someone you can't predict the calls. I think everyone was expecting us to run on the last series, so its the perfect time to pass. The last play was very similar to the last play at Awbarn in 2009. There isn't a defenseless play. We didn't execute it well. AJ threw it late and too far inside, and Cooper wasn't able to pick the DB. It just makes me sick that a defense that weak stopped us to win the game.
    All in all, I think Nuss has been pretty good.

I remember how we grilled McEwain during 2010, then came the 2011 season with the improved line. Also we can't forget the undercurrent in the NC game where coach Saban influenced opening up the offense more, and it ended up being one of Coach McElwains better called games. Many credited Coach Saban for some of that.

The OC's run the Alabama offense with some of their own added in the mix, and they cal plays. I can't really tell much difference, which is a credit to the type of program Coach Saban runs. We are always prepared, and we never put to much on anyone. It's all designed to be able to seamlessly replace someone.

Coach Saban will jump, I mean go to the lake before he runs a spread offense that relies on one player to win the game.

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar

It really isn't about McIlwain or Nussmeirer; if we execute then it is not a mistake.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation Second Team
    central illinois, the place where football goes to die

Quote Originally Posted by CHATTBRIT View Post
    Admittedly I don't understand a lot of the technical aspects of the game, but I refuse to criticize this coaching staff and the players over one game. The staff made huge adjustments after the debacle of the first quarter, but, the damage was done. These men sacrifice time with their families and normal social activities to be an outstanding football team. With all of A&M's offense, It is ironic that Alabama was beaten by their defense at the end. All I can say now is RTR
    agreed

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post

I love Fowler but I don't think his injury has hindered us from running up the middle this year. We've run up the middle with Lacy all year with good results but he can't run it if his number isn't called...

BamaNation Second Team GCtidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I think Nuss will learn. He's made some brilliant calls this year. The only pattern I've seen develop is that if AJ misses on first down, we'll run up the middle 7 out of 10 times - even when the defense is stacked against the run. Mac was way more predictable on first and third downs.