Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: If we still had McElwain?

Quote Originally Posted by mlh View Post
    We complained when we had McElwain that our playcalling was too predictable. I think we also have a much better redzone production this year than we had with Coach Mac. I guess the grass is always greener...

Don't forget, if AC gets the pick on the safety, Bell is wide open for an easy TD. Game over. Great call. It's all about the execution.
    I agee.

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like

If we still had McElwain?

Injuries are a nontrivial part of this.
    AJ has a sore back.
    Lacy and Cooper are not 100%.
    Other key players have been out for the season, like Fowler.

I would've run it four times from inside the 10-yard line, too, but I'm not willing to throw Nuss under the bus.

I think he's going to be a fantastic OC for us.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    LA Tech scored 50 on aTm. We couldn't get half of that at BDS. Must be a reason, and I feel it's a combo of poor play calling and poor execution.
    La Tech's QB was 44/58 for 450 yards and 5 TDs. Our offense and La Tech's offense are totally different. A&M's and La Tech's pretty much mirror each other. Better comparison would be LSU or UF's offenses, which scored 24 and 20 points respectfully.
    Quote Originally Posted by lincoln osiris View Post
    If we score on that last drive they are great calls. If we run it 4 times and get stuffed, then we would ask why didn't we throw. Just like Saban said, he doesn't question the play calling at the end of the game. Obviously in retrospect you make a different call cause the one we called didn't work.
    What I have said since the game ended. If those plays end in Bama's favor, no one is complaining. It's all about the end result.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtroadlizard View Post
    Take away a fumble and interception at the goal line and we aren"t having this conversation . rtr...
    Yep. If TJ doesn't fumble, Bama marches down and scores. (BTW - that was a running play.) What would folks say if TJ fumbled inside the 6 while Bama runs the ball 4 straight plays?
    Quote Originally Posted by TideFan in AU View Post
    Another aspect to throwing the ball where we did greatly increases the chance of a turnover. If we pound the ball and stall out, they get the ball at 1 or 2 yard line and we have still have 2 TO's.
    A&M started the final drive at 1:36. Had Bama run the ball 4 straight times and never used a timeout, A&M would have gotten the ball with much less time.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation All-SEC RammerJammer15's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

I like Nuss based on the fact that we are scoring more touchdowns instead of settling for FGs.

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    I like Nuss better than I did Mac. Both are very good but I like the aggressiveness of Nuss.
    One thing he needs to get away from though is basically abandoning our game plan when we get behind.
    I agree with Alasippi, I think we may have a slight upgrade going from McElwain to Nuss.
    (I'm talking potential here, you don't start as a finished product.)
    Nuss isn't quite as predictable as Mac.
    Nuss isn't a finished product yet. Give him time.
    IMO: We are being a little harsh for loosing one game and pulling one out of our hat.

You can only work with what you've got... Banged up RBs and Banged up QB,
    and Banged up Receivers. Name your poison.
    (Kind of limits what you can do)
    Last edited by Ole Man Dan; November 12th, 2012 at 11:19 PM. Reason: format

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

This sounds like "if only Colt had played"
    Last edited by J4Bama; November 12th, 2012 at 11:37 PM.
    If God wanted me to be humble, he would have sent me to Auburn.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

If we still had McElwain?

Just a reminder - Mac called 3 straight jump balls to Julio in the 2009 UT game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my post may not be what I typed thanks to auto correct. Also, I may need an emoticon but cannot use one in this post.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Asleep on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by jthomas666 View Post
    It's not so much If we still had McElwain, but rather, if we still had Jalston Fowler.
    ^^^^^^^YES^^^^^^^^^^

BamaNation All-American Al A Bama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

If "if's were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas". Who originally said that?

This is regarding the thread title.

If #7 had been able to catch that pass from Aj instead of an Aggie intercepting it, we "may" have won. If #9 had blocked the guy who brought #7 down on the 54 yard play, we may have made it into the end zone and won. If Sunseri had covered Swope on that play when Johnny Football juggled the ball then threw a TD pass to Swope, we may have won. Swope was widddddddddeee open. If we had played on a Thursday night or a 11:21 a.m. game on Saturday, we may have won. If we had played with a Script "A" on our helmet we may have won. If we had been more motivated we may have won. If A & M had been ranked #1 and we were ranked #15, we may have won. If I had worn the right Crimson Tide Shirt we may have won. If I had not gotten my hair cut that week we may have won. If Obama had not been elected, we may have won. If the Aggies hadn't been playing six feet off the ground, we may have won. If we had run the ball on every down in that last series, we just may have won.

I've heard so many people praising our OC's decision making all season. Why stop now?

It's just hard to win them all when you are a HUGE TARGET every week and ranked #1. The pressure to preform gets to you. No one wants to lose. The OC didn't want to lose. The players didn't want to lose. The head Coach didn't want to lose. The DC didn't want to lose. Mal Moore didn't want to lose. The next President of the U of A didn't want to lose. And I darn sure didn't want to lose.

Now, the air is outta the balloon. The pressure is OFF! How will we preform now?
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirtroadlizard View Post
    Take away a fumble and interception at the goal line and we aren"t having this conversation . rtr...
    Take away a defense that gave up 20 quick points and played on its heels for the first quarter and a half and we wouldnt be having this conversation.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CapstoneGrad06's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Coach Nuss is still coming into his own. I think we're a far more explosive offense and night and day better in the redzone.
    "Each play has a history and a life of its own. How is that play going to be remembered? If you're focusing on that play and what you have to do that single play, usually you'll do pretty good on it." - Coach Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J4Bama View Post
    This sounds like "if only Colt had played"
    Exactly.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

BamaNation All-American We_are_Bama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

You can't "what if" this thing. Nuss is a fine OC, and given that this is his first year in the toughest conference in the nation, I'd say he has done quite well.
    When my grandma left this life, I didn't say bye. I said see you later.

RIP, Grandma. Forever in my heart.
    01/04/1926-08/11/2012

My generous employer gives us 104 vacation days a year. They are called Saturday and Sunday.