If we still had McElwain?

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
If we still had McElwain I think we run the ball more against LSU and win a little easier and give the D a little rest and the same thing with ATM. The main reason is he knows the sec defenses a little better so he grounds and pounds a little more.

I am not bashing or saying anything bad about Nussmeier but I just think experience was key this year. If we have such a good O-line and its our strength I think McElwain would have run the ball 3 times and maybe a play action at the end of the ATM game and we score vs Nussmeier who passes the ball and does not use our o line.

thoughts?

Again not bashing just thinking experience would have helped although I know styles are slightly different too.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Nuss will learn. McElwain went through the same growing process. Nuss is a young OC and he will grow with mistakes and successes. I'm completely satisfied with his hire and taking into context his experience and inexperience in the OC role I'm happy with his performance. He's made mistakes no doubt but you can tell he's going to be one helluva playcaller when he gets more experience under his belt.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I have no issues with Nuss. It's not like you can bring back McElwain anyways. Nuss was a fantastic hire and I still believe it. I think he made some mistakes personally but that's just my opinion. They weren't mistakes enough to make me seriously question him at this point though. I think he'll do just fine as he improves. RTR

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
I am happy with him too and think he will be better for our qbs. He has a bright future here and on but I am just mainly talking about the past two games.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I am happy with him too and think he will be better for our qbs. He has a bright future here and on but I am just mainly talking about the past two games.
Of course. The "McElwain" that had four years under his belt would have called a better game. But that's a little bit of an unfair comparison to even bring up. The "McElwain" in his first year as an SEC OC? Who knows, he might not have done any better.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
If I recall correctly, there were complaints of his playcalling also. I agree with Buzzard, Nuss will learn from his mistakes. Like CNS said, if we would have run and failed people would be asking why we didn't pass. Personally, I would have loved to see us run on every down once we got to the 6 though...

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
If I recall correctly, there were complaints of his playcalling also. I agree with Buzzard, Nuss will learn from his mistakes. Like CNS said, if we would have run and failed people would be asking why we didn't pass. Personally, I would have loved to see us run on every down once we got to the 6 though...
It's football. We're not going to dominate every year. Teams with good coaching and good talent have the ability to scheme and beat us. That's what makes keeping score so fun. It brings out the competitive juices in everybody. Our staff has to constantly evaluate, tweak, get better, recruit and adjust. Which I know they already do. We've hit a speed bump this season. Okay, no big deal. I wish all speed bumps were of the 9-1 variety. LOL!

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
It's football. We're not going to dominate every year. Teams with good coaching and good talent have the ability to scheme and beat us. That's what makes keeping score so fun. It brings out the competitive juices in everybody. Our staff has to constantly evaluate, tweak, get better, recruit and adjust. Which I know they already do. We've hit a speed bump this season. Okay, no big deal. I wish all speed bumps were of the 9-1 variety. LOL!
All true. And with some luck we can get back in it.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Admittedly I don't understand a lot of the technical aspects of the game, but I refuse to criticize this coaching staff and the players over one game. The staff made huge adjustments after the debacle of the first quarter, but, the damage was done. These men sacrifice time with their families and normal social activities to be an outstanding football team. With all of A&M's offense, It is ironic that Alabama was beaten by their defense at the end. All I can say now is RTR

MasterGracey

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 24, 2011
I guess I'm still the only one that isn't crazy about nuss. The last play in end zone was terrible. I was yelling for the play we beat AU with in 2009. Instead we run Bell in motion--for the first time all day I believe--directly at a slot receiver already guarded on a short field to boot. There simply wasn't room for two receivers and one to get open.

Also seems several times when AJ had nowhere to throw that we had receivers very close to each other, making them much easier to defend. Perhaps they just aren't running their routes properly, but these types of plays should never happen.

LA Tech scored 50 on aTm. We couldn't get half of that at BDS. Must be a reason, and I feel it's a combo of poor play calling and poor execution.

MasterGracey

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 24, 2011
Let me also add...

Don't forget Nuss wasn't CNS first choice. He wanted Pease. Pease went to interview with Muschamp and was supposed to then go to ttown. He sent Nick a text from Gainesville saying that meeting wouldn't be necessary.

Not saying Pease would have been the fix-all, just saying CNS wanted to meet with him first.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
We complained when we had McElwain that our playcalling was too predictable. I think we also have a much better redzone production this year than we had with Coach Mac. I guess the grass is always greener...

Don't forget, if AC gets the pick on the safety, Bell is wide open for an easy TD. Game over. Great call. It's all about the execution.

lincoln_osiris

1st Team
Feb 11, 2009
If we score on that last drive they are great calls. If we run it 4 times and get stuffed, then we would ask why didn't we throw. Just like Saban said, he doesn't question the play calling at the end of the game. Obviously in retrospect you make a different call cause the one we called didn't work.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I guess I'm still the only one that isn't crazy about nuss. The last play in end zone was terrible. I was yelling for the play we beat AU with in 2009. Instead we run Bell in motion--for the first time all day I believe--directly at a slot receiver already guarded on a short field to boot. There simply wasn't room for two receivers and one to get open.

Also seems several times when AJ had nowhere to throw that we had receivers very close to each other, making them much easier to defend. Perhaps they just aren't running their routes properly, but these types of plays should never happen.

LA Tech scored 50 on aTm. We couldn't get half of that at BDS. Must be a reason, and I feel it's a combo of poor play calling and poor execution.
He's new on the job. I'd cut him some slack. He's learning. I like his aggressive nature. He pushes the ball down field. Which if I recall was one of the complaints about McElwain. Not going more down field. Well, Nuss seems very comfortable slicing and dicing the defense with aggressive down field passing. He just needs to know when and when not to stay with the pass. That's part of the learning process. He's not a seasoned veteran coach at the OC position. He's still learning and learning in tough conference.

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile

You really can't compare scores of games like that. Every situation and scenario is different. Where games fall on schedules is huge and whether it's right or wrong, the level of effort and energy the players have changes based on who the opponent is. I watched the second half of that game against La Tech. A&M didn't want to be there and La Tech did.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012

I don't think you are alone and I am not crazy about him at the moment. However, I do think he will learn from this game and get better. Some of his playcalling this year has been brilliant, while other times not so much. The reason we didn't hang 50 on aTm had as much to do with execution as with playcalling. Nuss didn't miss wide open receivers or fumble or throw interceptions. That's not a knock on AJ or anyone else, it's just the facts. I have confidence this team will rebound though and it will get interesting before the year is finished.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm happy with Nuss' performance. CNS didn't throw him under the bus about the last play. He did say he wished we would have run it on 1st down.

Somebody mentioned Nuss being CNS's second choice to Pease. Have you seen Florida's offense this year? They are not burning it up. It's true we've got more horses right now, but I think we are going to be just fine!

fralo4tide

1st Team
Jun 4, 2009
Pensacola, FL
My concern has been that Nuss's pass first mentality might lead him to a fate similar to that of Major Applewhite. Was there not some friction between Saban and Applewhite over this?

Some of you more in the know than myself might can comment on this.

MasterGracey

BamaNation Citizen
Jul 24, 2011
You really can't compare scores of games like that. Every situation and scenario is different. Where games fall on schedules is huge and whether it's right or wrong, the level of effort and energy the players have changes based on who the opponent is. I watched the second half of that game against La Tech. A&M didn't want to be there and La Tech did.
Exactly... aTm was having more fun. What happened to making his --- quit? And while I partially agree with you on comparisons, comparing our performance against MI to ND's performance against them will be one of the most important things voters consider if we want to creep back up the rankings.

I hate to sound so negative and disagree with so many of you. I just think a program like ours deserves better than citing an OC's inexperience as an excuse. Isn't that what our friends across the state have been doing all season?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Exactly... aTm was having more fun. What happened to making his --- quit? And while I partially agree with you on comparisons, comparing our performance against MI to ND's performance against them will be one of the most important things voters consider if we want to creep back up the rankings.

I hate to sound so negative and disagree with so many of you. I just think a program like ours deserves better than citing an OC's inexperience as an excuse. Isn't that what our friends across the state have been doing all season?
Some days the other team is just better. It's one of those weird things about sports. It's why you play the game on the field and not on paper.

TAMU was just better Saturday...at least they were better in the first quarter and that was effectively the ball game.

As BB said earlier there is no need for panic or mass change. We just need to do what we do in a better way, which was the message of CNS's post game comments.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.