Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Yeehaw on TideFans.com

Re: Bama vs UGA for SEC Championship

Quote Originally Posted by JD95 View Post
    This is the whole concern for me. I've not seen a lot of hunger, fire, or intensity from Alabama in the last two weeks. Not a lot of flying around the football with reckless abandon, more just going through the motions. Considering we've won exactly one SEC title in the last 13 years (fewer than LSU, Florida, Georgia, and even Auburn), the Tide certainly ought to be hungry for another one, but they're going to have to show up, fight hard, and earn it.
    Wow, I couldn't disagree more. Yea we have had some issues, and some points in the games where we seemed a little flat, but lack of hunger, fire and intensity really?

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mittman View Post
    Wow, I couldn't disagree more. Yea we have had some issues, and some points in the games where we seemed a little flat, but lack of hunger, fire and intensity really?
    It seems like the self flagellation and rending of garments is reaching a fever pitch around here. I guess is time to start selling the script A hair shirts again
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Inspired on TideFans.com

It comes down to our offense, IMO. Just like the previous two games did.

If we don't turn the ball over or fail to convert third downs, we will win.

No, our defense isn't as good as we thought but it is plenty good enough if our offense comes through.

BamaNation All-American B1GTide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TideEngineer08 View Post
    It comes down to our offense, IMO. Just like the previous two games did.

If we don't turn the ball over or fail to convert third downs, we will win.

No, our defense isn't as good as we thought but it is plenty good enough if our offense comes through.
    Exactly right - even with your other struggles, just remove the turnovers and you win both (LSU handily).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by B1GTide View Post
    Exactly right - even with your other struggles, just remove the turnovers and you win both (LSU handily).
    Turnovers will most definitely get you beat in a close game. 2 of the turnovers, the int's, were more from poor play execution than anything that the defense did. The int at the end of the game hurt no worse than if the pass were to have been dropped or had it been uncatchable. Being 4th down either scenario turns the ball over. 3 and outs are turnovers when you get down to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Paranoid on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by MOAN View Post
    Turnovers will most definitely get you beat in a close game. 2 of the turnovers, the int's, were more from poor play execution than anything that the defense did. The int at the end of the game hurt no worse than if the pass were to have been dropped or had it been uncatchable. Being 4th down either scenario turns the ball over. 3 and outs are turnovers when you get down to it.
    I don't count the last turnover, but the other two were daggers.

The first was horrid. That is a completion and Alabama has a first down. In the least A&M is penned deep, but instead
    A&M gets it on their 40 and keeps the defense reeling, as they score their second TD.

On the second turnover, TJ is in field goal range already. It's likely to be 23-20, assuming the drive stalls there. Instead, it opens the floodgates again and A&M scores another TD.

Honestly, if not for those turnovers Alabama might have won by double digits. A&M got half their points off those turnovers, and that's not taking into account what it did to Alabama's momentum and their chances to score.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mittman View Post
    Yes, really. The entire team might as well have sat in the locker room for the first quarter against A&M. The offense has given up five turnovers in 2 weeks, while the defense has created zero. Alabama has converted 8 of 24 third downs in the last 2 weeks, while allowing opponents to convert 21 of 38. All of that speaks to sloppy football, lack of focus, lack of hunger, fire, and intensity.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    Love me some polls . Jawjuh will tell you themselves how tough they are (although I have heard a lot more rumbling than usual form the puppy faithful this year about richt and their soft play)

They also played a laughable schedule. Consensus prior to the season was that they'd pull run the table til the sec championship game. They are talented for sure, but play soft and un disciplined. But their ausome win this past weekend shows they are peaking at the right time
    and just two weeks ago we could beat NFL teams...dont underestimate Georgia, they can bite us if we dont straighten out a few things on defense..

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I really think the biggest issues are personnel based than mentally based. You can make a lot in college by being intense and focused but you avoid these sort of games truly by being sound across the board. Saban has said before you can't get a team's best performance more than a few times a year, so he tries to make up for that by getting his teams executing almost off muscle memory. So even if they aren't at the intensity level he'd like, they are still confident in what they are seeing and what they need to do to stop it.

This is where the youth is showing up on offense and defense. Yeldon has lost the ball twice - though one was a bad handoff perhaps - in consecutive weeks; first time starters are getting lost a bit in their assignments. Intensity growing from the end of the first onward helped get Alabama back into the game but they weren't executing with consistency to seal the deal. Granted intensity and focus might have staved off that first quarter onslaught but truly it was exploitation of weaknesses that got us in that hole.

The thing is, though I might be a little frank with our deficiencies, all teams have areas they're trying to mask...even the undefeated teams. There have been very few undefeated teams that were truly untouchable by anyone in football. Usually they missed out on some team that matched up well, they got a few bounces, or other parts of their squad overwhelmed any other deficiency. Unless you're 2001 Miami or 1995 Nebraska, every national champion had some things that could have damned them but it simply never materialized or they got a little fortunate. Alabama has the tools to overcome their deficiencies and win the state, division, and conference. I think it starts with us reasserting "Alabama football" on the offensive side of the ball. We need to limit opponent's possession through the run game. We need to get back to mentality that sometimes we have to run when they look like they're playing the run to make a statement instead of simply checking into a pass play. The defense needs the front seven to assert themselves on the game and help their teammates in the secondary. They've put those guys into tough situations the last few weeks by poor tackling and ineffective pressure.

We're not going to get better by hoping a deficiency this late in the season repairs itself. We're going to win by doing what we are suppose to be great at doing and maybe even a little better.

BamaNation Second Team GADAWG1980's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

oops got marlon and rontavious wooten mixed up.

BamaNation First Team TheOysterMan's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Breezy on TideFans.com

Gurley I think (#3) reminds me so much of Trent when he was a freshman. Looks like him, runs like him, the whole package.

Post Thanks / Like

I think yall will have to bring youre A game in order to beat us. I KNOW we are going to have to have our best effort of the season to win against alabama. If we can establish the run,hold our own in the trenches(up front)take care of the ball and keep the penalties to a minimum we should be in good shape. That being said i dont think alabama will make the kind of mistakes against us they made against texas a and m. I strongly believe that if alabamas special teams doesnt commit that penalty at the end of the game against a and m saturday bamas still undefeated today. Honestly i think whoever wins the battle up front,establishes the run and does the better job taking care of the ball wins. We have two sensational,explosive running backs(todd gurley,keith marshall)and so do yall(eddie lacy,tj yeldon). I definitely dont think this game is a blowout either way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheOysterMan View Post
    Gurley I think (#3) reminds me so much of Trent when he was a freshman. Looks like him, runs like him, the whole package.
    i agree,todd gurley and trent richardson are very similiar. Both very strong inside,north and south style backs with great cutback ability and breakaway speed as well.