Bama vs UGA for SEC Championship

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Personally, Alabama and Georgia are very similar in terms of overall results. They caught a break and drew a weak intradivision schedule missing any factor team on the other side of the conference. They had two real games this season and played poorly in both but went 1-1 in the process.

You could make an argument that Alabama and Georgia are on top because of the 8-game conference schedule in a 14-team conference. The only good teams they played were interdivision while UF, USC, LSU, and TAMU all drew harder intradivision matchups and 3 dropped one of them. This is why the SEC has to expand to 9 conference games because I don't think this will be a rare exception but the rule of how divisions are decided in future years. Saban supported it from the outset but now that Alabama has benefitted from it the powers in the conference will get the wheels moving.

Anyway, there simply isn't a team in the SEC that has looked complete at this point. All have a deficiency but UGA's seem the most fixable. Alabama is simply going to find it hard to mask the secondary in this defensive scheme. Georgia can mask their quarterback behind their two backs and protect him better to avoid the stupid mistakes.

It's close but I think that is the difference: one team is probably better equipped personnel and scheme wise to mask their deficiency than the other.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Personally, Alabama and Georgia are very similar in terms of overall results. They caught a break and drew a weak intradivision schedule missing any factor team on the other side of the conference. They had two real games this season and played poorly in both but went 1-1 in the process.

You could make an argument that Alabama and Georgia are on top because of the 8-game conference schedule in a 14-team conference. The only good teams they played were interdivision while UF, USC, LSU, and TAMU all drew harder intradivision matchups and 3 dropped one of them. This is why the SEC has to expand to 9 conference games because I don't think this will be a rare exception but the rule of how divisions are decided in future years. Saban supported it from the outset but now that Alabama has benefitted from it the powers in the conference will get the wheels moving.

Anyway, there simply isn't a team in the SEC that has looked complete at this point. All have a deficiency but UGA's seem the most fixable. Alabama is simply going to find it hard to mask the secondary in this defensive scheme. Georgia can mask their quarterback behind their two backs and protect him better to avoid the stupid mistakes.

It's close but I think that is the difference: one team is probably better equipped personnel and scheme wise to mask their deficiency than the other.
One glimmer of hope is that if Geno comes on the next two weeks or Fulton returns to practice post-turf toe, we could potentially slide Milliner over to the money spot...

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
:rolleyes: Really?

Something to consider about UGA. They play Georgia Southern this weekend and Georgia Tech next weekend. Their defense will be worn out from that option two weeks in a row.
Yes Really!
We have 2 games before SECCG. I'm glad the coaches keep them focused. The most important game is the next one.
like Coach Stallings said if you don't think a game against a WCU is important just lose it & you will see how important it is.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
The matchup will be Richt vs Saban. I think the teams will be on equal playing ground as far as rested up. Richt has a huge problem beating big time coaches who can plan agianst his simple schemes (spurrier,saban,miles,meyer,and tubbs) espically in the title game. In the title he has beaten a houston nutt team and a young talented Miles team, but turn to last year and 03 LSU he got blasted. I think depth wise with talent and experience UGA has us beat,but 08 that was also a stat thrown around and I think everyone remembers what happened. Richt is a good coach but he is not a coach that wins big games that are against equal talented teams coached by the SEC's elite coaches

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
I don't count the last turnover, but the other two were daggers.

The first was horrid. That is a completion and Alabama has a first down. In the least A&M is penned deep, but instead
A&M gets it on their 40 and keeps the defense reeling, as they score their second TD.

On the second turnover, TJ is in field goal range already. It's likely to be 23-20, assuming the drive stalls there. Instead, it opens the floodgates again and A&M scores another TD.

Honestly, if not for those turnovers Alabama might have won by double digits. A&M got half their points off those turnovers, and that's not taking into account what it did to Alabama's momentum and their chances to score.
You are correct the first int was horrid. AJ threw a dart across the middle into triple coverage and Bell had his bell rung which caused the ball to pop up right into the defenders hands. Then TJ is carrying the ball to low and gets stripped but he is a freshman and the play was successful to that point. So bad execution/decision on the ints and a mistake on the fumble by a freshman, a true freshman!

They got us beat no doubt but the 3 and outs to start the first and 3rd quarters were as bad as a turn over against A&M. Thats 2 games in a row our offense has started out in the first and third quarters, not just slow, but stagnant/stymied. Why?

GADAWG1980

Scout Team
Sep 26, 2011
Between the hedges
I have to ask muschamp and Driskell what they thought of ULL first ;).
Having lived in GA for 20 years, I am very biased against the puppies (i hate me some uga). Y'all have been one of the most talented teams in the nation year in and year out since richt got there. I wish GA tech had at least an outside chance of giving y'all a game this year, but that is pretty much out of the question.

Its been a strange year this year. South carolina barely beats vandy,17-13(and probably wouldnt had it not been for a bogus pass interference call at the end of the game. We turn around and beat vandy 48-3,in nashville. We turn around and dont even show up and lay an egg over at williams-brice over in columbia. That same south carolina team that gashed us gets smashed 44-16 down in gainesville by the gators. than we go down to jacksonville and our defense pretty much wins the game for us(driskell sacked four times,six florida turnovers). Strange year in the sec this year. But its true on any given sunday. I enjoy coming to this board sometimes because most of the bama people ive spoken to here are smart enough to be objective and they know their x,s and o,s. Nice to be able to talk football and game situations and decisions instead of the smack talk i get on some of the other boards i visit(AUBURN,LSU). I still cant believe some of the language used on those boards.

GADAWG1980

Scout Team
Sep 26, 2011
Between the hedges
I think people overexagerate UGA. Murray is great if you give him the oppurtunity but look at Florida game. If Florida didnt just self destruct then thye are the team in the East and would win by 14. Rict coaches plain horrible against Saban if he gets behind so unless UGA can get a good lead, which I dont see, then we will win
Our defense is what made florida self destruct they didnt just go out there and hand us the game. We got to jeff driskell and sacked him four times. Also it was our pass rush that induced him to throw 3 interceptions and cause three fumbles. All the suspensions really hurt our defensive unit earlier this year and i definitely think thats why are defense wasnt playing up to their pottential. However now youre starting to see our defense play like a cohesive unit and play to the fullest of their potential and at just the right time as well!!

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Our defense is what made florida self destruct they didnt just go out there and hand us the game. We got to jeff driskell and sacked him four times. Also it was our pass rush that induced him to throw 3 interceptions and cause three fumbles. All the suspensions really hurt our defensive unit earlier this year and i definitely think thats why are defense wasnt playing up to their pottential. However now youre starting to see our defense play like a cohesive unit and play to the fullest of their potential and at just the right time as well!!
True, but still Bama's offensive line is better than Florida and I really dont think Bama will turn it over like they did the last two weeks. Dont get me wrong I think it will be a very tight game( I'm totatly confident in the iron bowl outcome), but I really think if Richt and Bobo arnt willing to change from their gameplan if things dont work then saban will feed on that like he, spurrier, miles,and meyer all have the past decade and some change. could be wrong but 3-10 points either way

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
A big factor in the outcome of a potential matchup between Alabama and Georgia is which team is peaking and which team has already peaked. IMO we peaked in the Missouri game and Georgia peaked in the Florida game. So the winner of this game will be which team can find the intensity and discipline needed to recapture those performances.

GADAWG1980

Scout Team
Sep 26, 2011
Between the hedges
I agree with a lot of what you say graytide. I think you guys are more consistent than we are on a week in and week out basis. Like ive said in prior posts we run hot and cold from week to week. When i went to the championship game back in 05 all i heard was how we where gonna get stomped,how they were feelin it down in da bayou country,we didnt have an answer for jamarcus russell. So we promptly came out,hit Lsu in the mouth,knocked russell out of the game and six minutes into the first quarter the game was pretty much decided. No one gave us a chance in that game. Than their was last years nightmarish second half collapse after a great first half(especially defensively). Hopefully it will be a good competitive game. The last time i went to bryant denny stadium to watch us was one of the best games ive ever attended.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Both Alabama and Georgia have benefited from relatively easy conference schedules this year. Both teams have played two very good opponents and both teams are 1-1 in those games. Looking at this matchup right now, I would say offensively it is a dead heat, both teams have a lot of offensive weapons but both teams seem to misfire much too often. At this point I would give the edge to UGA defensively, especially in the secondary. Special teams is a push. IMO coaching favors Alabama. So it comes down to turnovers, penalties and field position which is what would be expected with two evenly matched teams. As I already said the winner is likely to be the team that can find whatever it had when it was playing at its best earlier in the season.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.