Quick Thought on the Imminent CFB Playoff Format

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Assume arguendo that the 2014 CFB playoff format was implemented this year, and look where we would be. 'Bama v. UGA would be a play-in game for the Final Four, and the aTm loss wouldn't matter, nor would any potential season-ending losses by Oregon or K-State. Florida would still be very much alive in it all, too.

Don't know that a lot of people really appreciate how big of gamechanger the playoff format is going to be in CFB.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Assume arguendo that the 2014 CFB playoff format was implemented this year, and look where we would be. 'Bama v. UGA would be a play-in game for the Final Four, and the aTm loss wouldn't matter, nor would any potential season-ending losses by Oregon or K-State. Florida would still be very much alive in it all, too.

Don't know that a lot of people really appreciate how big of gamechanger the playoff format is going to be in CFB.
Proof that a playoff system in some ways cheapens the meaning of the regular season if in fact a team can afford to lose and still stay in the "playoffs."

FWIW, despite this fact, it will be an advantage to us because it is easier to finish in the top 4 than the top 2 while playing a grueling SEC schedule.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Proof that a playoff system in some ways cheapens the meaning of the regular season if in fact a team can afford to lose and still stay in the "playoffs."

FWIW, despite this fact, it will be an advantage to us because it is easier to finish in the top 4 than the top 2 while playing a grueling SEC schedule.
Pretty much this. Regular season won't mean near as much, but such that it is.

For the SEC, I think the new format will be an absolute boon. We'll get at least two teams in the Final Four just about every year, and in a lot of years we will have, de facto, three appearances, with the SECCG being a play-in and the best non-divisional champion going to the Final Four over the SECCG loser.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm getting more than wary of the cheapens the season argument. It holds no water unless you expand it. Most years you will wind up with a mixture of unbeaten and one-loss teams. Oregon and K-State & ND cannot pack it in early - they don't who else would lose or how far they'd drop.

mikes12

All-American
Nov 10, 2005
Chattanooga, TN
I remember watching the Colts v Jets a few years ago. The Colts had already clinched home field through the playoffs, so Peyton Manning was benched early in the game. I understand this was to protect him from possible injury which would hurt their chances of winning through the playoffs, but the Jets came back and won that game. Manning was visibly upset.

I hate to think we might let a game against Auburn go like that if we already clinched a playoff spot.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm getting more than wary of the cheapens the season argument. It holds no water unless you expand it. Most years you will wind up with a mixture of unbeaten and one-loss teams. Oregon and K-State & ND cannot pack it in early - they don't who else would lose or how far they'd drop.
It is what is it. It will be the new system and losing a game might not hurt you as much (depending on when and who).

As stated, I don't think this will hurt us...only help us for said reasons.

BayouBama75

All-SEC
Dec 7, 2001
Knoxville, TN
Instead of making the regular season less important, think of how much interest it creates by having more teams in the mix. If it was in play this year, there is no guarentee that ND, KSU or Oregon could lose and still make the playoffs with UA, LSU, UGA and others right behind them. Also it would drive up more interest for the teams trying to get to the finish. Playing in the SEC week after week is more difficult, IMHO, that trying to run the table as an independent or even in the some of the other conferences. How many SEC teams are in the top 10..... 6? UA UGA UF LSU A&M USCe. Hard to run the table on that bunch and any given year you would probably have to play at least 3 or 4 of them to advance.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I hate to think we might let a game against Auburn go like that if we already clinched a playoff spot.
That will never happen in CFB even if solely because, unlike professional sports, there are no "guaranteed" spots. It's really all up to the Selection Committee, and no one will risk rolling the dice with them.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
That will never happen in CFB even if solely because, unlike professional sports, there are no "guaranteed" spots. It's really all up to the Selection Committee, and no one will risk rolling the dice with them.
I could see it happening. Let's change last Saturday and say we barely beat A&M. Maybe AJ and others are a little beat up. A perfect opportunity to rest our starters would be these next two games. A win against Ga in the SEC Championship Game is our "play-in" into the final four. At that point a regular season loss doesn't hurt us as bad as not having our starters healthy for the SEC CG and the playoffs.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Instead of making the regular season less important, think of how much interest it creates by having more teams in the mix. If it was in play this year, there is no guarentee that ND, KSU or Oregon could lose and still make the playoffs with UA, LSU, UGA and others right behind them. Also it would drive up more interest for the teams trying to get to the finish. Playing in the SEC week after week is more difficult, IMHO, that trying to run the table as an independent or even in the some of the other conferences. How many SEC teams are in the top 10..... 6? UA UGA UF LSU A&M USCe. Hard to run the table on that bunch and any given year you would probably have to play at least 3 or 4 of them to advance.

Yeah, this is the ticket. I was worried about the whole "devaluing the regular season" thing but allowing a top-shelf team a loss means that the rest of their games aren't devalued....

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The regular season will be enhanced overall if you have four teams. But if you expand it to 8, 12, or 16, it would devalue it by multiples. This prevents the injustice of a surprise team running the table against a tough schedule and not making the top two solely because those two didn't lose and began ranked based on a hunch.

And it's not like you're going to have a six-loss team in the top four. At most you will have a 2-loss team, and a few of those prevailed under the old system. Let's say that we had won Saturday and by quirk of fate you wind up with four unbeatens. The current system most certainly would not be fair to Notre Dame, who has played the toughest schedule. Now admittedly - I chuckle at the notion they get hosed because I can think of nobody more deserving of a title game snub.

But what if the same happened to us?

two lose, we win - and then listen to "oh no, here we go again!"

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The current system produced a 2 loss BCS champion a few years ago. Alabama won last year in spite of the fact that they had a late season loss and didn't win their conference. The idea that a system that allows a few one loss teams to have a shot cheapens the season simply doesn't stand up to scrutiny. An expanded playoff would, but not a 4 team playoff.

Also, try telling Oregon or KSU that they can rest assured that they will make even a tournament of 4 if they lost a game this late. Can you guarantee me that they would remain in the top 4 with four other powerful 1 loss teams out there (AL, GA, FL, & FSU)? Sure, at least one of the 3 remaining undefeateds would likely make the 4 team tournament, but all 3? I don't think so. They would still be playing for their "lives".

Instead of only looking at the potential losses with the new system, look at the gains. IMO, no conference benefits more from this new system than the SEC.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
B1GTide, I wish I go "Like" your post 50 times! Can't wait for the 4 team playoff! Losing sucks but, we wouldn't need any of this "hope 2 of the top 3 lose" talk because we would still be in the playoffs as long as we win out.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I've said in numerous threads - the playoff wouldn't change a thing about this year. Who really thinks ND is better than Bama or UGA or LSU or UF? There's no promise that the top 4 teams will be in the Final Four. Heck, we don't even know the qualifications to get in the playoff yet. Might be a little more comfortable when I know the qualifications and the committee members.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Think about a playoff in this way. How do we compare an 11-1 SEC team to a 12-0 Pac-12 team? The two teams did not play the same schedule, and we could argue with others until the cows come home as to which schedule is better. But since they played different teams there will never be any way of knowing. But if we have a playoff which includes all conference champs, these two teams can play and settle it on the field. Very easy.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008
Pretty much this. Regular season won't mean near as much, but such that it is.

For the SEC, I think the new format will be an absolute boon. We'll get at least two teams in the Final Four just about every year, and in a lot of years we will have, de facto, three appearances, with the SECCG being a play-in and the best non-divisional champion going to the Final Four over the SECCG loser.
I may end up wrong.. But I am willing to bet the house that when the system is finally in place that it will take an act of GOD to get two teams from the same conference in. I have absolutely 0 trust in this committee getting these format set up correctly.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Think about a playoff in this way. How do we compare an 11-1 SEC team to a 12-0 Pac-12 team? The two teams did not play the same schedule, and we could argue with others until the cows come home as to which schedule is better. But since they played different teams there will never be any way of knowing. But if we have a playoff which includes all conference champs, these two teams can play and settle it on the field. Very easy.
I do agree that the playoff will allow the SEC to get more of a chance to win the title. I just don't want it to grow any more than 4 teams. I have a feeling it will eventually. Any more than 4 teams and it waters it down. I don't like the fact that a 2 loss team gets into the playoff and squeaks by an undefeated team in a strong conference can win the championship. That would be the same as saying aTm should be ranked higher that Alabama. A 2 loss team beats an undefeated team. If it were the playoffs, aTm would be champions. Yet every poll and computer has us ranked higher than aTm. I just don't like it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Another thread has this link, but I'll post it here. Not sure that there will be two teams from the same conference. There's a possibility but not sure it'll be likely.

Link.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.