Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American Crimson Flyboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Getting out of Tuscaloosa has become a nightmare

I mentioned this briefly in another thread, but I want to go into details. Here is how my Saturday night went after the Bama game against A&M.

6:15 - Game ends and I start to look for a way to get out of the stadium. I waited for everyone to fill past because I hate to jump into a group of people.

7:15 - I arrive at my car in the parking lot next to the soccer fields. The lot is packed and nobody is moving. I sit in my parking space for the next 30 minutes.

8:15 - I finally make it on to McFarland Blvd. only to see nothing but cars for miles in front of me. I wind up sitting in traffic on McFarland Blvd. for 1 hour.

9:15 - I turn onto I-59/I-20 toward Birmingham. Traffic moves about 25-30 mph until the interstate turns to three lanes. After that traffic picked up to a normal pace.

10:15 - I walk into the house and fall onto the couch only to fall asleep minutes later.

I understand that 102,000 fans went to the game and traffic will not be as normal, but something has got to give. We have added nearly 20,000 seats over the last six years but the infrastructure has not kept pace. Extending the third lane on I-20/I-59 all the way to Tuscaloosa would help a lot. Making both lanes on McFarland Blvd. move away from campus for a few hours after the game would help. But, something has got to be done to build up the infrastructure in order to get people out of Tuscaloosa and back home in a reasonable amount of time.

Rant over.
    שלום
    Pax
    Peace

"The sole object and only legitimate end of government is to protect the citizen in the enjoyment of life, liberty, and property, and when the government assumes other functions, it is usurpation and oppression."

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor will I ever ask another man to live for the sake of mine."

"Any man who strives for free inquiry, free thought, and self ownership is my brother and countryman."

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Getting out of Tuscaloosa has become a nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Flyboy View Post
    I mentioned this briefly in another thread, but I want to go into details. Here is how my Saturday night went after the Bama game against A&M.

6:15 - Game ends and I start to look for a way to get out of the stadium. I waited for everyone to fill past because I hate to jump into a group of people.

7:15 - I arrive at my car in the parking lot next to the soccer fields. The lot is packed and nobody is moving. I sit in my parking space for the next 30 minutes.

8:15 - I finally make it on to McFarland Blvd. only to see nothing but cars for miles in front of me. I wind up sitting in traffic on McFarland Blvd. for 1 hour.

9:15 - I turn onto I-59/I-20 toward Birmingham. Traffic moves about 25-30 mph until the interstate turns to three lanes. After that traffic picked up to a normal pace.

10:15 - I walk into the house and fall onto the couch only to fall asleep minutes later.

I understand that 102,000 fans went to the game and traffic will not be as normal, but something has got to give. We have added nearly 20,000 seats over the last six years but the infrastructure has not kept pace. Extending the third lane on I-20/I-59 all the way to Tuscaloosa would help a lot. Making both lanes on McFarland Blvd. move away from campus for a few hours after the game would help. But, something has got to be done to build up the infrastructure in order to get people out of Tuscaloosa and back home in a reasonable amount of time.

Rant over.
    Like others said in the other post... there are at least 10-15,000 people that would love to take your place and deal with it, and enjoy every second of it..

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

This is why attendance suffers ....

I said before that if you come from out of town, you're likely heading north on 20/59. It's a nightmare.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Aggressive on TideFans.com

Rant over.

Quick trip to Minnesota. Next time fly...
    Last edited by BamaGoose; November 12th, 2012 at 01:44 PM.

BamaNation First Team lincoln_osiris's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amused on TideFans.com

Attendance suffers?
    I'm a lead farmer

BamaNation First Team
    Post Thanks / Like

One suggestion: Park downtown & ride the bus to the stadium. You can then get on I-359 to get to I-20/59 fairly easily after the game.

Also, I-20/59will be three-laned to Tuscaloosa next year, if all goes well.
    "And the roses in this grand old stadium are once again Crimson." -- Eli Gold, 1/7/10

"ZERO DOUBT" -- Tuscaloosa News Headline 1/10/12

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Rant over.
    Have you tried any of the University's "Game Day Routes" from the UA GameDay site [here]? First, stay off McFarland at all costs for post-game. I would try heading toward downtown and getting on I-359. That will probably save you an hour. You could also head out east on HWY 215 or 216 toward Cottondale (several ways to get there), which connects with I-59 about 4-5 miles outside of Tuscaloosa.

BamaNation First Team lincoln_osiris's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amused on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jref View Post
    One suggestion: Park downtown & ride the bus to the stadium. You can then get on I-359 to get to I-20/59 fairly easily after the game.

Also, I-20/59will be three-laned to Tuscaloosa next year, if all goes well.
    Shhhhh...don't tell everybody about downtown.
    I'm a lead farmer

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Rant over.
    Don't do that.

BamaNation All-American BamaMoon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a legit discussion. The problem is the bottle neck at I-59. Opening McFarland one way would only add to that.
    The 3rd lane into and out of T-town from B'ham is the first big step!

FWIW, you know going in on a Saturday that when 130K or more are arriving on campus in a 3-5 hour span (many the day before) and they'll be leaving in a 1 hour span that it will make for a slow commute. But, I agree some steps need to be taken if possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonProf View Post
    This is why attendance suffers ....

I said before that if you come from out of town, you're likely heading north on 20/59. It's a nightmare.
    Yep. Not many ways out of Tuscaloosa.

I would have gone up University until you get to Cottondale and then get onto 20/59.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation All-American
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irNate View Post
    Like others said in the other post... there are at least 10-15,000 people that would love to take your place and deal with it, and enjoy every second of it..

Then have the tickets...

...why is it being a bad fan to acknowledge that getting in and out of Tuscaloosa is often a giant hassle?

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonProf View Post
    Then have the tickets...

...why is it being a bad fan to acknowledge that getting in and out of Tuscaloosa is often a giant hassle?
    Because the original poster is saying he is not going to attend this week's game because of the traffic.