Getting out of Tuscaloosa has become a nightmare

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
I remember the good old days of a 70,000 plus capacity stadium. We all need those Jetson Jet packs to get home quicker!

BamaDude06

1st Team
Sep 15, 2006
Yep. Not many ways out of Tuscaloosa.

I would have gone up University until you get to Cottondale and then get onto 20/59.
That was the route I took. It still took nearly an hour to get from campus to 20/59 (they don't let you get on at exit 79, they make you continue on US11 and get on at exit 86).

Hoot30

All-SEC
Jan 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Have you tried any of the University's "Game Day Routes" from the UA GameDay site [here]? First, stay off McFarland at all costs for post-game. I would try heading toward downtown and getting on I-359. That will probably save you an hour. You could also head out east on HWY 215 or 216 toward Cottondale (several ways to get there), which connects with I-59 about 4-5 miles outside of Tuscaloosa.
This. Try River Road to Univ. then hwy. 216. I do this when going to B'ham and it moves pretty well. Another plan is try staying in Jasper up Hwy. 69. There is a nice Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn Express. Or, continue on 69 to I65 and stay in Cullman. You will bypass B'ham altogether.

BamaDude06

1st Team
Sep 15, 2006
One suggestion: Park downtown & ride the bus to the stadium. You can then get on I-359 to get to I-20/59 fairly easily after the game.

Also, I-20/59will be three-laned to Tuscaloosa next year, if all goes well.
When they expanded the 3rd lane from Mercedes to where it currently ends it took them nearly a year and a half to build it. There are several bridges that will need to be widened to accomidate a third lane. Could they do it in less than a year? Sure. But lets be real, something will happen along the way.

lincoln_osiris

1st Team
Feb 11, 2009
Hang out until the end of the game. Grab a bite to eat on the strip. People watch. Relax a bit and Enjoy the entire experience. If you don't like the crowds or the driving, stay at home and watch it on the big screen. I like watching it on tv better myself, but I try to get to a few games every year. I know when I leave the house that it is an all day, sometimes 2 or 3 day affair, and you just have to commit to all that gameday entails. Roll Tide.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Hang out until the end of the game. Grab a bite to eat on the strip. People watch. Relax a bit and Enjoy the entire experience. If you don't like the crowds or the driving, stay at home and watch it on the big screen. I like watching it on tv better myself, but I try to get to a few games every year. I know when I leave the house that it is an all day, sometimes 2 or 3 day affair, and you just have to commit to all that gameday entails. Roll Tide.

To be fair to the OP, that is really, really hard to do with kids. One reason why I make little effort to go to games, finances aside.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Really? You think that is “bad traffic”? try driving in Atlanta every single day without there even being a game happening. If you think it is that bad mail your tickets to me for free (since you are wasting the ticket anyway by not using them). I will gladly take them to fight what you call bad traffic.

lincoln_osiris

1st Team
Feb 11, 2009
To be fair to the OP, that is really, really hard to do with kids. One reason why I make little effort to go to games, finances aside.
That's the point. Got to choose if it's worth it to you to go or easier to stay home. Just don't let the tickets go unused. Somebody will be willing to make the effort...

Last edited:

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
Have you tried any of the University's "Game Day Routes" from the UA GameDay site [here]? First, stay off McFarland at all costs for post-game. I would try heading toward downtown and getting on I-359. That will probably save you an hour. You could also head out east on HWY 215 or 216 toward Cottondale (several ways to get there), which connects with I-59 about 4-5 miles outside of Tuscaloosa.
I've done the Cottondale route before and has worked well.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Really? You think that is “bad traffic”? try driving in Atlanta every single day without there even being a game happening. If you think it is that bad mail your tickets to me for free (since you are wasting the ticket anyway by not using them). I will gladly take them to fight what you call bad traffic.
I went to the SEC championship game in 2009 and drove in and out of Atlanta in no time. Tuscaloosa is simply not capable of handling traffic the way Atlanta can. And yes, three hours to get out of Tuscaloosa is a bit much. Everyone has a line, even if that line is different for everyone. If three hours is not a concern for you, fine. But what about if it took three days to get home? Threee months? Everyone has a line, and will complain at some point, no matter how much someone loves Bama. And I do love Bama, but I did not love sitting in traffic for four hours.

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida
I agree 100% that traffic is an absolute nightmare, but that never stops me from going to a game. As another poster stated, you have to be creative about getting out of Tuscaloosa. For example, we made it from Tuscaloosa to Birmingham in 1 hr and 30 min going the way we leave. If you look at the map it might seem out of the way, but it sure beats setting on 20/59. I'm not giving up my way because I don't want everyone to be on that road. Just take a look at the map and you might figure it out :cool2:

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
I agree 100% that traffic is an absolute nightmare, but that never stops me from going to a game. As another poster stated, you have to be creative about getting out of Tuscaloosa. For example, we made it from Tuscaloosa to Birmingham in 1 hr and 30 min going the way we leave. If you look at the map it might seem out of the way, but it sure beats setting on 20/59. I'm not giving up my way because I don't want everyone to be on that road. Just take a look at the map and you might figure it out :cool2:
I will still go to the games, except games like W. Carolina, but it would be nice to not spend several hours getting home. And I will look at a map in order to figure out a better way from now on.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.