Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 27 to 39 of 73
  1. #27
    BamaNation All-SEC Hoot30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,040
    My Mood
    Amazed on TideFans.com

    Re: Getting out of Tuscaloosa has become a nightmare

    Quote Originally Posted by kayakerjess View Post
    Have you tried any of the University's "Game Day Routes" from the UA GameDay site [here]? First, stay off McFarland at all costs for post-game. I would try heading toward downtown and getting on I-359. That will probably save you an hour. You could also head out east on HWY 215 or 216 toward Cottondale (several ways to get there), which connects with I-59 about 4-5 miles outside of Tuscaloosa.
    This. Try River Road to Univ. then hwy. 216. I do this when going to B'ham and it moves pretty well. Another plan is try staying in Jasper up Hwy. 69. There is a nice Hampton Inn and Holiday Inn Express. Or, continue on 69 to I65 and stay in Cullman. You will bypass B'ham altogether.
    "If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them." - As Candidus in the Boston Gazette, January 20, 1772

  2. Advertisement
  3. #28
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    4,114

    Re: Getting out of Tuscaloosa has become a nightmare

    Not that I disagree with the OP....

  4. #29
    BamaNation Third Team
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    16

    Re: Getting out of Tuscaloosa has become a nightmare

    I was at the game - left at the end - got to Bham at 8pm. Basically go anywhere but McFarland - parking downtown is much better than the Soccer field.

  5. #30

    Re: Getting out of Tuscaloosa has become a nightmare

    Quote Originally Posted by Jref View Post
    One suggestion: Park downtown & ride the bus to the stadium. You can then get on I-359 to get to I-20/59 fairly easily after the game.

    Also, I-20/59will be three-laned to Tuscaloosa next year, if all goes well.
    When they expanded the 3rd lane from Mercedes to where it currently ends it took them nearly a year and a half to build it. There are several bridges that will need to be widened to accomidate a third lane. Could they do it in less than a year? Sure. But lets be real, something will happen along the way.

  6. #31

    Re: Getting out of Tuscaloosa has become a nightmare

    Hang out until the end of the game. Grab a bite to eat on the strip. People watch. Relax a bit and Enjoy the entire experience. If you don't like the crowds or the driving, stay at home and watch it on the big screen. I like watching it on tv better myself, but I try to get to a few games every year. I know when I leave the house that it is an all day, sometimes 2 or 3 day affair, and you just have to commit to all that gameday entails. Roll Tide.
    I'm a lead farmer

  7. #32
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Posts
    4,114

    Re: Getting out of Tuscaloosa has become a nightmare

    Quote Originally Posted by lincoln osiris View Post
    Hang out until the end of the game. Grab a bite to eat on the strip. People watch. Relax a bit and Enjoy the entire experience. If you don't like the crowds or the driving, stay at home and watch it on the big screen. I like watching it on tv better myself, but I try to get to a few games every year. I know when I leave the house that it is an all day, sometimes 2 or 3 day affair, and you just have to commit to all that gameday entails. Roll Tide.

    To be fair to the OP, that is really, really hard to do with kids. One reason why I make little effort to go to games, finances aside.

  8. #33

    Re: Getting out of Tuscaloosa has become a nightmare

    West on 20/59 is not bad at all. I know it has to be bad towards Bham.

  9. #34
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GulfCoastTider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Mobile, Alabama, United States
    Posts
    7,094
    My Mood
    Ornery on TideFans.com

    Re: Getting out of Tuscaloosa has become a nightmare

    Frankly, I think threads like this don't get started after big wins.

    Stuff like this shows up only after disappointing losses.

    When you're sitting in traffic remembering great wins, it always makes the wait a little less painful.

    JMHO.
    “Lamar Thomas has got it, he's on his way down the sidelines... George Teague runs him down! He took the ball away!!! HE'S GOT THE BALL!!!"

    Thread deleted by SavannahDare
    Reason: Dude! Coach Saban would sooner die than tweet.

  10. #35
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DzynKingRTR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Vinings, ga., usa
    Posts
    8,217
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Getting out of Tuscaloosa has become a nightmare

    Really? You think that is “bad traffic”? try driving in Atlanta every single day without there even being a game happening. If you think it is that bad mail your tickets to me for free (since you are wasting the ticket anyway by not using them). I will gladly take them to fight what you call bad traffic.
    Due to the current workload, the light at the end of the tunnel will be temporarily turned off.

  11. #36

    Re: Getting out of Tuscaloosa has become a nightmare

    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonProf View Post
    To be fair to the OP, that is really, really hard to do with kids. One reason why I make little effort to go to games, finances aside.
    That's the point. Got to choose if it's worth it to you to go or easier to stay home. Just don't let the tickets go unused. Somebody will be willing to make the effort...
    Last edited by lincoln_osiris; November 12th, 2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: sounded like les miles
    I'm a lead farmer

  12. #37
    BamaNation First Team RollinTider1335's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Spring Hill, TN
    Posts
    548
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Getting out of Tuscaloosa has become a nightmare

    Quote Originally Posted by kayakerjess View Post
    Have you tried any of the University's "Game Day Routes" from the UA GameDay site [here]? First, stay off McFarland at all costs for post-game. I would try heading toward downtown and getting on I-359. That will probably save you an hour. You could also head out east on HWY 215 or 216 toward Cottondale (several ways to get there), which connects with I-59 about 4-5 miles outside of Tuscaloosa.
    I've done the Cottondale route before and has worked well.

  13. #38
    BamaNation All-American Crimson Flyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Vestavia Hills, AL
    Posts
    3,801
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com
    Thread Starter

    Re: Getting out of Tuscaloosa has become a nightmare

    Quote Originally Posted by DzynKingRTR View Post
    Really? You think that is “bad traffic”? try driving in Atlanta every single day without there even being a game happening. If you think it is that bad mail your tickets to me for free (since you are wasting the ticket anyway by not using them). I will gladly take them to fight what you call bad traffic.
    I went to the SEC championship game in 2009 and drove in and out of Atlanta in no time. Tuscaloosa is simply not capable of handling traffic the way Atlanta can. And yes, three hours to get out of Tuscaloosa is a bit much. Everyone has a line, even if that line is different for everyone. If three hours is not a concern for you, fine. But what about if it took three days to get home? Threee months? Everyone has a line, and will complain at some point, no matter how much someone loves Bama. And I do love Bama, but I did not love sitting in traffic for four hours.
    שלום
    Pax
    Peace

    "The sole object and only legitimate end of government is to protect the citizen in the enjoyment of life, liberty, and property, and when the government assumes other functions, it is usurpation and oppression."

    "I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor will I ever ask another man to live for the sake of mine."

    "Any man who strives for free inquiry, free thought, and self ownership is my brother and countryman."

  14. #39
    BamaNation All-American J4Bama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    2,443
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: Getting out of Tuscaloosa has become a nightmare

    I agree 100% that traffic is an absolute nightmare, but that never stops me from going to a game. As another poster stated, you have to be creative about getting out of Tuscaloosa. For example, we made it from Tuscaloosa to Birmingham in 1 hr and 30 min going the way we leave. If you look at the map it might seem out of the way, but it sure beats setting on 20/59. I'm not giving up my way because I don't want everyone to be on that road. Just take a look at the map and you might figure it out
    If God wanted me to be humble, he would have sent me to Auburn.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
'Gear UP! Get your University of Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship & Football Dynasty Gear!