Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American Crimson Flyboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Re: Getting out of Tuscaloosa has become a nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by J4Bama View Post
    I agree 100% that traffic is an absolute nightmare, but that never stops me from going to a game. As another poster stated, you have to be creative about getting out of Tuscaloosa. For example, we made it from Tuscaloosa to Birmingham in 1 hr and 30 min going the way we leave. If you look at the map it might seem out of the way, but it sure beats setting on 20/59. I'm not giving up my way because I don't want everyone to be on that road. Just take a look at the map and you might figure it out
    I will still go to the games, except games like W. Carolina, but it would be nice to not spend several hours getting home. And I will look at a map in order to figure out a better way from now on.
    שלום
    Pax
    Peace

"The sole object and only legitimate end of government is to protect the citizen in the enjoyment of life, liberty, and property, and when the government assumes other functions, it is usurpation and oppression."

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor will I ever ask another man to live for the sake of mine."

"Any man who strives for free inquiry, free thought, and self ownership is my brother and countryman."

2. Advertisement
    Post Thanks / Like

Flyboy, where you park is a difficult place to get out.
    Here is what I would do:
    1.) From the soccer field lots try to go back toward the softball stadium and then onto Jack Warner
    Parkway.
    2.) Head east on Jack Warner until you have to turn right onto Crescent Ridge Road.
    3.) Crescent Ridge runs into University Blvd.
    4.) Turn left onto University...go all the way on University until it runs into I-59/20 in Cottondale.
    Should be pretty smooth sailing from there. I suspect this could save you a good hour and a half.
    Like everyone says....avoid McFarland at all costs.

PS----Not to rub it in, but I am lucky, live in Tuscaloosa, about 10 miles from the stadium. I can usually get home before Nick finishes his radio show (and I never leave the game early).
    Bama 867-314-44 72.6% On the field

2012 SEC CHAMPIONS
    BACK TO BACK NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

It usually just takes me 1/2 hr to get away from the stadium and to Northport because we stay with my daughter/grad student!

BamaNation Hall of Fame Jessica4Bama's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Angelic on TideFans.com

I didn't have much of a problem getting out, but I left right after that INT because I thought the game was over. I know shouldn't have left, but I did.

I do apologize for my crazy driving on the way home, however.
    So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. - 2 Corinthians 4:18

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Here is a route onto the interstate in 10 minutes once you hit Jack Warner Parkway. You have to go toward downtown on Jack Warner(River Road to those of us over 50). Go straight past Greensboro Avenue turn and past the Tuscaloosa Amp on Warner Pkwy. Turn left right past The Tuscaloosa News offices. Turn left at the light and turn right and you'll be on 359. Stay away from the part of campus that routes you toward McFarland. Anything on the east side of campus will route you toward Mcfarland. Or you can park at Central high school and pay 20 bucks and be on the interstate in about 10 minutes as well.

RTR

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by saraelizabethua View Post
    ... You can get into Northport wayyy easier than anywhere else. We'd always change out of our MDB uniforms and go to Jimmy Johns.

Does that help your problem? No. But the message is that if you're creative, you won't end up stuck on McFarland with everyone else...

There's no shame in traveling 10 extra miles to cut two hours of time off of your driving.
    We like to go through Northport and camp at Moundville after a game. Yeah it takes an hour to an hour and a half after we decide to leave but it makes it fun. I know some folks can't do that though.
    “That issue has gone under the bridge, under the next bridge, over the next dam and is gone.”
    -CNS

BamaNation All-American 230kv_barehand's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonProf View Post
    Agreed, but even traffic up University/Highway 11 can be bad and then there's still the risk of a parking lot on 20/59. Plus no food that way...
    11 is still better than 20/59 is anyday.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Shocked on TideFans.com

Getting out of Tuscaloosa has become a nightmare

I was at my truck in the soccer fields at the end of regulation. Timed it perfectly with pretty minimal traffic...I hate being the guy that leaves early...if I didn't it would add 3 or 4 hours to my drive. I hate traffic.

BamaNation Second Team acbl_phill's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I was at the game. I left the stadium when the game ended. Walked back to my car parked near the pratice field and jacks. Got back to bham before 7:30. At 7:30 I was at Hop City drinking a beer.

I had a friend show me a really quick way to 20/59 last year, you have to drive through a neighborhood. But I would appreciate it if everyone keeps driving down McFarland, hwy 11 and 359 to get out of Tuscaloosa.

BamaNation All-American 230kv_barehand's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

We also cut through McCalla to skip all the merging traffice at 20/59 and 459.

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

OP -- Avoid McFarland at all costs. The routes described here are some I have used, especially Jack Warner. But this Saturday night went pretty well. I stayed till the bitter end of the game and came out Gate 17. I stopped by the Quad for a minute to say good bye to friends. I walked to my parking spot by the Health Center (yes, long walk but I needed to burn off some frustration anyway). Turned out of the parking lot, one light change to turn on to University. Followed it straight out. I did not sit through two changes of lights but one time. I got on 20/59 at the Mercedes plant, no waiting to merge. It was pretty close to speed limit conditions, though it slowed just a bit at 459. My family makes fun of how slowly I drive, but doing close enough to the speed limit to avoid tickets and with a stop for gas and the bathroom, I was back at home in middle Tennessee shortly after 10. Again, get on anywhere but McFarland. Alternatively, if you are willing to sit around the stadium to avoid the crowds, just watch the post game press conference, spend time on the Quad. You'll be late getting home, but if you wait 2.5 to 3 hours after game time to start your trip, you'll be behind most of the traffic. Going up through Jasper works very well too, if you are headed north, but I don't recommend you drive it the first time at night.
    Roll Tide

BamaNation First Team CrimsonPride's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

We live in Chattanooga and have been going to home games for over 25 years. We stay at hotels in B'ham because the ones in T-town have always been sold out. For it to be only 40 miles, it has always been a long drive on game days. It used to take forever to get to T-town for a game back when they all started at 11am because everyone would be on the road at the same time to get there. With the games starting later, the trip to the game is back to normal (usually no more than an hour) due a gradual procession to the game.

Leaving after game has always been a pain. With the stadium expansion the past decade and people realizing that they can now be part of the game day experience whether they attend the game or not, it has gotten much worse. So, it is actually more than 102,000 leaving at the same time. Although we always stay until the very end, I kind of understand why a lot of people start leaving in droves midway through the 4th quarter.

I realized that with at least 15,000 cars on I-59 at the same time that the flow of traffic should be slower. However, what my mind refuses to accept is why the traffic has to come to a complete stop with top speeds of 20 mph until the interstate opens to 3 lanes? It seems like we should all be able to be on there going 45-50 mph. I know this will never happen but this has been bothering me for almost 30 years.

We have taken various routes to back B'ham after games: I-359 to I-59/20, I-359 to Skyland Blvd to I-59/20, and highways 215 or 216 to I-59/20. No matter which way we choose, that 40 mile drive still takes between 3-4 hours. For the games that start at 8-8:30, by the time we get back to our hotel it is at least 3am. My sister, whose flight back to Maryland usually leaves at 6am, doesn't even bother going to bed.

Since one of us is disabled, we park at the Campus Drive parking deck. If anyone has a better/quicker way for us to get to B'ham (Academy Dr) after the game, please PM me. I promise I won't tell anyone else
    "There's lots of Tigers and Bears, but there's only one Crimson Tide." -Mal Moore
    "It's not the will to win, but the will to prepare to win that makes the difference." - Paul (Bear) Bryant
    "Arguing with a fool proves there are two." - Doris M. Smith

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Flyboy View Post
    I mentioned this briefly in another thread, but I want to go into details. Here is how my Saturday night went after the Bama game against A&M.

6:15 - Game ends and I start to look for a way to get out of the stadium. I waited for everyone to fill past because I hate to jump into a group of people.

7:15 - I arrive at my car in the parking lot next to the soccer fields. The lot is packed and nobody is moving. I sit in my parking space for the next 30 minutes.

8:15 - I finally make it on to McFarland Blvd. only to see nothing but cars for miles in front of me. I wind up sitting in traffic on McFarland Blvd. for 1 hour.

9:15 - I turn onto I-59/I-20 toward Birmingham. Traffic moves about 25-30 mph until the interstate turns to three lanes. After that traffic picked up to a normal pace.

10:15 - I walk into the house and fall onto the couch only to fall asleep minutes later.

I understand that 102,000 fans went to the game and traffic will not be as normal, but something has got to give. We have added nearly 20,000 seats over the last six years but the infrastructure has not kept pace. Extending the third lane on I-20/I-59 all the way to Tuscaloosa would help a lot. Making both lanes on McFarland Blvd. move away from campus for a few hours after the game would help. But, something has got to be done to build up the infrastructure in order to get people out of Tuscaloosa and back home in a reasonable amount of time.

Rant over.
    So we the people need to spend about $100,000,000 to widen those lanes for 6 football Saturdays a year so that people don't have to sit in traffic?