Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BamaNation First Team

Re: What is the definition of a defenseless player?

Any player not wearing crimson and white.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC

There has always been a penalty for spearing or unnecessary roughness. If a hit is blatant or late, with an intent to injure, call a penalty. Otherwise, let them play football. I don't think Haha's hit was late, blatant, and obviously didn't injure the player. The hit on Eddie Lacey, on the other hand, did cause injury to the head and wasn't called. The ball was obviously dropped before the hit took place. I don't necessarily think it should have been a penalty. However, it should be a penalty before Haha's hit. THis whole defenseless player as a receiver is just a bad rule. IMO if they are on the field and have pads on, they are not a defenseless player. They know the risk they all take.

My Mood
    Persnickety on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    With this type of mentality, in 20 years football will not even remotely resemble the sport we have grew up to love and worship. We will turn a very tough rigorous sport into something it is not.The European soft mentality has invaded our once tough minded country and it will continue to change a game that doesn't need change.

We keep allowing people who have never even played the sport makes the rules. It truly is sad.
    You are right, just look at this country now! I have to admit I sure liked things back inthe '40s & '50's! Now a days people won't walk rwo or three blocks to a store, they just gotta get in the car to go!!

'This Is Crimson Tide Football'
    Where The A Says It All!

ROLL~TIDE~ROLL
    This Above All: To thine own self be TRUE!
    [William Shakespeare - (Hamlet)]

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

With this type of mentality, in 20 years football will not even remotely resemble the sport we have grew up to love and worship. We will turn a very tough rigorous sport into something it is not. The European soft mentality has invaded our once tough minded country and it will continue to change a game that doesn't need change.

We keep allowing people who have never even played the sport makes the rules. It truly is sad.
    So is that why football was almost banned in the early 1900's by Teddy Roosevelt? I think it's because of the PAC - 10.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaBuc View Post
    You are right, just look at this country now! I have to admit I sure liked things back inthe '40s & '50's! Now a days people won't walk rwo or three blocks to a store, they just gotta get in the car to go!!
    We were watching a documentary in class from the 1920's and 1930's the other day and it showed kids climbing a tree, crawling out to the end of the branches (about 20-30 feet high) and riding the limbs down to the ground while they hung on with their hands. All my students were in awe that these little 8-12 year olds were allowed to do such a thing.

Without a doubt, the American mentality of today is not what it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldlane View Post
    So is that why football was almost banned in the early 1900's by Teddy Roosevelt? I think it's because of the PAC - 10.
    http://symonsez.wordpress.com/2010/1...united-states/

You see, President Roosevelt had seen a photograph of Swarthmore College lineman Bob Maxwell who had been savagely beaten during a game. Seems that Penn knew that the agile, 250 pound Maxwell was the best player on Swarthmore so the team focused its effort on everyone pounding Maxwell early and often. The photo of him staggering off the field was so graphic that the Old Roughrider must have thought that the game had gotten too rough. As it turns out, he had good reason. Players wore very little padding and helmets were nothing more than a leather cap. Routinely, slugging and punching took place on the field and gang tackling was rampant. A favorite play was the “flying wedge” in which an entire team formed a V and plowed down the field like a tank. The players would often lock arms or even grab on to one another’s belts equipped with special handles. More often than not, the result was players strewn across the field and slugfests erupting. In 1905, there was roughly one-fifth the number of college football players as there are today, yet, 18 were killed and 159 severely injured in that one year alone.
    Because we are obviously talking about the same game in 2010 as it was in 1910...

My Mood

http://symonsez.wordpress.com/2010/1...united-states/

Because we are obviously talking about the same game in 2010 as it was in 1910...
    Well, I thought you were espousing those same "American Values" from a century ago! My bad!

Well, I thought you were espousing those same "American Values" from a century ago! My bad!
    And may I add, a President's decision or opinion does not necessarily represent America's opinion or values.

BamaNation First Team Im_on_dsp's Avatar

We were watching a documentary in class from the 1920's and 1930's the other day and it showed kids climbing a tree, crawling out to the end of the branches (about 20-30 feet high) and riding the limbs down to the ground while they hung on with their hands. All my students were in awe that these little 8-12 year olds were allowed to do such a thing.

Without a doubt, the American mentality of today is not what it used to be.
    It certainly is not but I don't know that it is necessarily a bad thing. When I think of all the stupid things I did growing up back in the 60s and 70s it's a wonder I'm not dead or crippled. Mostly because society was pretty naive about the dangers of things like letting kids ride bicycles on the shoulder of a freeway, etc. Now, most people know better. If football were the same sport today it was 40 or 50 years ago I wouldn't be so concerned. However, today's player is so much more powerful than just a few decades ago, because of scientifically designed weight training and nutrition programs. These guys are literally missiles of pain and destruction. We can't just sit idly buy and watch kids getting mangled. I am all for rule changes that can protect players, without ruining the integrity of the game. Surely that's a fine line to walk but one that is too important not too. JMO.

BamaNation All-American

I think anyone is for player safety, but this rule is simply too subjective to keep around. Kenny Bell got hit in the first quarter when he was defenseless, and the ball popped up for an interception that led to a touchdown. Eddie Lacy got speared in the helmet and was injured. Neither of those were called. Swope takes a solid hit, gets up and screams to the heavens, and I thought he was getting flagged for taunting. However, he gets an extra 15 yards. You simply cannot make the defensive players guess as to what is going to be a penalty and what is not. If they are going to call the hit on Swope an illegal hit then the other two should also have been illegal. Personally, I don't think any of them should have been called because all of those are part of the game of football. There are some dangerous tackles made where guys lead with the helmet, and those should be called, but that call is just too subjective as it currently stands.

My Mood

Maybe they should be reviewable.

BamaNation All-American

Maybe they should be reviewable.
    Please, no, not that. I wish they would get rid of replay already, or at least just give the coaches a couple of challenges. They have improved the time it takes to review a play, but it still takes away from the flow of the game and can be a huge momentum killer. Besides, they still screw it up half the time anyway.

My Mood

Quote Originally Posted by teamplayer View Post
    Please, no, not that. I wish they would get rid of replay already, or at least just give the coaches a couple of challenges. They have improved the time it takes to review a play, but it still takes away from the flow of the game and can be a huge momentum killer. Besides, they still screw it up half the time anyway.
    Well, it would slow the game down for the Defense! JK! I don't like Instant Replay either.