Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Re: What is the definition of a defenseless player?

The bottom line is that this rule is not going away. NFHS is now making coaches take classes for certification on Concussions and with the problems like Jim Mcmahon are having it is going to stay for awhile.

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American bama_fan01's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Confused on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alasippi View Post
    lol..I was going to say anyone on Auburn's defense
    LOL - I was going to say *u's team was defensless!

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    And may I add, a President's decision or opinion does not necessarily represent America's opinion or values.
    i think your opinion on making changes to help limit serious injuries to players has been overruled by a majority. The game of football has evolved over time...players today are bigger and faster than at any time...injuries are more severe. If you can make adjustments to the game to limit injuries or deaths, i think its well worth the adjustment.

Its a sport, not gladiators fighting lions to the death on ancient rome.

BamaNation First Team crmsntd91's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamafaninOhiO View Post
    i think your opinion on making changes to help limit serious injuries to players has been overruled by a majority. The game of football has evolved over time...players today are bigger and faster than at any time...injuries are more severe. If you can make adjustments to the game to limit injuries or deaths, i think its well worth the adjustment.

Actually from what I was told while visiting Rome, the gladiators never fought till death. Would have cost to much to train them up only to have them fight one time until death. So they only let them draw blood and then would just kill prisoners to please the crowd.
    "We have an opponent in this state that we work every day, 365 days a year, to dominate."

BamaNation Hall of Fame rizolltizide's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We were watching a documentary in class from the 1920's and 1930's the other day and it showed kids climbing a tree, crawling out to the end of the branches (about 20-30 feet high) and riding the limbs down to the ground while they hung on with their hands. All my students were in awe that these little 8-12 year olds were allowed to do such a thing.

Without a doubt, the American mentality of today is not what it used to be.
    We used to do that with Mimosa Trees when I was a kid. Good times. Of course, I'm a hillbilly, so.
    RIP Hub

BamaNation All-SEC
    Post Thanks / Like

I still think there are many more dangerous games out there than American football. Rugby. Wrestling. Boxing. Ultimate fighting. Most of these don't even have pads and are more physical. Lets do something about these games before we turn football into 2 hand touch.

BamaNation Scout Team
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree that the rule is too subjective and it's frustrating but let's not pretend that that in any way differentiates it from pass interference, holding, etc.

Officials need to be held accountable for consistency in penalties, to me it's not about whether you allow/disallow a certain behavior - it's really about making sure you allow/disallow it for both teams equally.

Suspended
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Thank you Mr. Majority...

I played the game within the last 8-10 years so I am not some old couch potato that has no clue of the size and strength of "today's players". A few rules are good for the game but when you get carried away with all these "protective" rules you are going to start to see a game that is not the one that it was intended to be.

If it was easy we would all be playing it...

Post Thanks / Like

It needs to go - it imbalances the game too far in favor of the offense. Slants and crossing routes are difficult enough to defend, but if teams want to make those plays their bread and butter then their receivers should be prepared to get their bells rung.

Don't want your receivers punished? Don't run them over the middle.

BamaNation All-American crimsonbleeder's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Psychedelic on TideFans.com

With this type of mentality, in 20 years football will not even remotely resemble the sport we have grew up to love and worship. We will turn a very tough rigorous sport into something it is not. The European soft mentality has invaded our once tough minded country and it will continue to change a game that doesn't need change.

We keep allowing LAWYERS who have never even played the sport makes the rules. It truly is sad.
    FIFY
    "No invention in history has been more successful in the collection and display of stupidity than the Internet. "

-Mike Herndon, Press-Register 8/20/08

BamaNation Second Team
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigOaf View Post
    It needs to go - it imbalances the game too far in favor of the offense. Slants and crossing routes are difficult enough to defend, but if teams want to make those plays their bread and butter then their receivers should be prepared to get their bells rung.

Don't want your receivers punished? Don't run them over the middle.
    Amen! ....dont want to get jacked dont run the route or better yet go play/watch soccer! Rasputin is right this candy but nonsense has got to stop, if you dont want to be injured find another sport.

Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Am I the only person that finds the phrase "defenseless receiver" dumb? After all, a receiver is on the offense, so of course, he's defenseless. His defensive teammates are on the sideline.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!