Question: What is the definition of a defenseless player?

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Well, I thought you were espousing those same "American Values" from a century ago! My bad!
And may I add, a President's decision or opinion does not necessarily represent America's opinion or values.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
We were watching a documentary in class from the 1920's and 1930's the other day and it showed kids climbing a tree, crawling out to the end of the branches (about 20-30 feet high) and riding the limbs down to the ground while they hung on with their hands. All my students were in awe that these little 8-12 year olds were allowed to do such a thing.

Without a doubt, the American mentality of today is not what it used to be.
It certainly is not but I don't know that it is necessarily a bad thing. When I think of all the stupid things I did growing up back in the 60s and 70s it's a wonder I'm not dead or crippled. Mostly because society was pretty naive about the dangers of things like letting kids ride bicycles on the shoulder of a freeway, etc. Now, most people know better. If football were the same sport today it was 40 or 50 years ago I wouldn't be so concerned. However, today's player is so much more powerful than just a few decades ago, because of scientifically designed weight training and nutrition programs. These guys are literally missiles of pain and destruction. We can't just sit idly buy and watch kids getting mangled. I am all for rule changes that can protect players, without ruining the integrity of the game. Surely that's a fine line to walk but one that is too important not too. JMO.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I think anyone is for player safety, but this rule is simply too subjective to keep around. Kenny Bell got hit in the first quarter when he was defenseless, and the ball popped up for an interception that led to a touchdown. Eddie Lacy got speared in the helmet and was injured. Neither of those were called. Swope takes a solid hit, gets up and screams to the heavens, and I thought he was getting flagged for taunting. However, he gets an extra 15 yards. You simply cannot make the defensive players guess as to what is going to be a penalty and what is not. If they are going to call the hit on Swope an illegal hit then the other two should also have been illegal. Personally, I don't think any of them should have been called because all of those are part of the game of football. There are some dangerous tackles made where guys lead with the helmet, and those should be called, but that call is just too subjective as it currently stands.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Maybe they should be reviewable.
Please, no, not that. I wish they would get rid of replay already, or at least just give the coaches a couple of challenges. They have improved the time it takes to review a play, but it still takes away from the flow of the game and can be a huge momentum killer. Besides, they still screw it up half the time anyway.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Please, no, not that. I wish they would get rid of replay already, or at least just give the coaches a couple of challenges. They have improved the time it takes to review a play, but it still takes away from the flow of the game and can be a huge momentum killer. Besides, they still screw it up half the time anyway.
Well, it would slow the game down for the Defense! :) JK! I don't like Instant Replay either.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
The bottom line is that this rule is not going away. NFHS is now making coaches take classes for certification on Concussions and with the problems like Jim Mcmahon are having it is going to stay for awhile.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
And may I add, a President's decision or opinion does not necessarily represent America's opinion or values.
i think your opinion on making changes to help limit serious injuries to players has been overruled by a majority. The game of football has evolved over time...players today are bigger and faster than at any time...injuries are more severe. If you can make adjustments to the game to limit injuries or deaths, i think its well worth the adjustment.

Its a sport, not gladiators fighting lions to the death on ancient rome.

crmsntd91

1st Team
Sep 30, 2010
i think your opinion on making changes to help limit serious injuries to players has been overruled by a majority. The game of football has evolved over time...players today are bigger and faster than at any time...injuries are more severe. If you can make adjustments to the game to limit injuries or deaths, i think its well worth the adjustment.

Actually from what I was told while visiting Rome, the gladiators never fought till death. Would have cost to much to train them up only to have them fight one time until death. So they only let them draw blood and then would just kill prisoners to please the crowd. :)

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl
We were watching a documentary in class from the 1920's and 1930's the other day and it showed kids climbing a tree, crawling out to the end of the branches (about 20-30 feet high) and riding the limbs down to the ground while they hung on with their hands. All my students were in awe that these little 8-12 year olds were allowed to do such a thing.

Without a doubt, the American mentality of today is not what it used to be.
We used to do that with Mimosa Trees when I was a kid. Good times. Of course, I'm a hillbilly, so.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

I still think there are many more dangerous games out there than American football. Rugby. Wrestling. Boxing. Ultimate fighting. Most of these don't even have pads and are more physical. Lets do something about these games before we turn football into 2 hand touch.

txag2002

Nov 12, 2012
I agree that the rule is too subjective and it's frustrating but let's not pretend that that in any way differentiates it from pass interference, holding, etc.

Officials need to be held accountable for consistency in penalties, to me it's not about whether you allow/disallow a certain behavior - it's really about making sure you allow/disallow it for both teams equally.

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008

Thank you Mr. Majority...

I played the game within the last 8-10 years so I am not some old couch potato that has no clue of the size and strength of "today's players". A few rules are good for the game but when you get carried away with all these "protective" rules you are going to start to see a game that is not the one that it was intended to be.

If it was easy we would all be playing it...

BigOaf

Scout Team
Oct 1, 2005
Sanford, NC
It needs to go - it imbalances the game too far in favor of the offense. Slants and crossing routes are difficult enough to defend, but if teams want to make those plays their bread and butter then their receivers should be prepared to get their bells rung.

Don't want your receivers punished? Don't run them over the middle.

crimsonbleeder

All-American
Dec 1, 2002
Birmingham, AL
With this type of mentality, in 20 years football will not even remotely resemble the sport we have grew up to love and worship. We will turn a very tough rigorous sport into something it is not. The European soft mentality has invaded our once tough minded country and it will continue to change a game that doesn't need change.

We keep allowing LAWYERS who have never even played the sport makes the rules. It truly is sad.
FIFY

hacksaw830

2nd Team
Jan 20, 2007
It needs to go - it imbalances the game too far in favor of the offense. Slants and crossing routes are difficult enough to defend, but if teams want to make those plays their bread and butter then their receivers should be prepared to get their bells rung.

Don't want your receivers punished? Don't run them over the middle.
Amen! ....dont want to get jacked dont run the route or better yet go play/watch soccer! Rasputin is right this candy but nonsense has got to stop, if you dont want to be injured find another sport.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Am I the only person that finds the phrase "defenseless receiver" dumb? After all, a receiver is on the offense, so of course, he's defenseless. His defensive teammates are on the sideline.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.