Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American BamaFlum's Avatar
    My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

BCS Bowl Selections

Let's say Alabama wins out but everyone else does also or ND has a loss (in this hypothetical they aren't going to the NCG). Could the Sugar negotiate with the other bowls to get a Bama/ND championship?
    RTR!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame DiamondDust's Avatar

Re: BCS Bowl Selections

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFlum View Post
    Let's say Alabama wins out but everyone else does also or ND has a loss (in this hypothetical they aren't going to the NCG). Could the Sugar negotiate with the other bowls to get a Bama/ND championship?
    No. No game other than the game being played in Miami at the end of the year will be a championship game. Period.

Alabama could play Notre Dame in the Sugar, but it would be for any championship other than the Sugar Bowl championship.
    “We have 45 men suited up. They're all supposed to be ready to play.”

-Bill Belichick

My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

BCS Bowl Selections

Not a championship. If Bama and ND were left out, could they negotiate it. Sorry, if my post was vague. Typing on a phone is tedious.
    RTR!

Not a championship. If Bama and ND were left out, could they negotiate it. Sorry, if my post was vague. Typing on a phone is tedious.
    Negotiate what? Just playing in the game itself?

The picking order for this year looks like this: Fiesta, Sugar, Orange. If an undefeated Notre Dame team is on the table, you can rest assured the Fiesta Bowl will jump all over them.
    Last edited by DiamondDust; November 12th, 2012 at 05:37 PM.

-Bill Belichick

My Mood
    Festive on TideFans.com

BCS Bowl Selections

Ok, Oregon and KSU play the NCG. Bama wins SEC an goes to Sugar. ND is an at large BCS. Could the Sugar somehow negotiate with other bowls to get the Bama/ND matchup?
    RTR!

Ok, Oregon and KSU play the NCG. Bama wins SEC an goes to Sugar. ND is an at large BCS. Could the Sugar somehow negotiate with other bowls to get the Bama/ND matchup?
    They could, but I seriously doubt the Fiesta Bowl would let Notre Dame get away from them. If Oregon goes to the National Championship, there is also serious talk Notre Dame would end up in the Rose Bowl as a replacement team.

-Bill Belichick

BamaNation First Team Snuffy Smith's Avatar

BCS Bowl Selections

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    Negotiate what? Just playing in the game itself?

The picking order for this year looks like this: Fiesta, Sugar, Orange. If an undefeated Notre Dame team is on the table, you can rest assured the Fiesta Bowl will jump all over them.
    Technically before the designated order the bowl losing the number 1 and 2 teams get to replace them. If it ends like it is now it will be Fiesta then rose. If Oregon ends up 1 and KSU 2 it will be reversed and the Domers will end up in the Rose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy Smith View Post
    Technically before the designated order the bowl losing the number 1 and 2 teams get to replace them. If it ends like it is now it will be Fiesta then rose. If Oregon ends up 1 and KSU 2 it will be reversed and the Domers will end up in the Rose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good point.

-Bill Belichick

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    They could, but I seriously doubt the Fiesta Bowl would let Notre Dame get away from them. If Oregon goes to the National Championship, there is also serious talk Notre Dame would end up in the Rose Bowl as a replacement team.
    Not so sure. The Fiesta is contractually obligated to the Big-12, if KSU plays in the NCG wouldn't that leave Oklahoma? Since they've already played once this year, I'm not so sure the Fiesta would want a rematch. As far as the Rose, they are obligated to have a Pac-12 vs. Big-10 match up. Even if Oregon is in the NCG, picking a team from Indiana to play a team from the Big-10 in LA doesn't seem to be a good choice to me.
    If anything goes bad, I did it. If anything goes semi-good, we did it. If anything goes really good, then you did it. That's all it takes to get people to win football games for you. - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

BamaNation All-SEC
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Assuming your scenario, I don't think the BCS would allow Bama and ND to play. It would likely over-shadow the NCG.
    “That issue has gone under the bridge, under the next bridge, over the next dam and is gone.”
    -CNS

Quote Originally Posted by bamadp View Post
    Not so sure. The Fiesta is contractually obligated to the Big-12, if KSU plays in the NCG wouldn't that leave Oklahoma? Since they've already played once this year, I'm not so sure the Fiesta would want a rematch. As far as the Rose, they are obligated to have a Pac-12 vs. Big-10 match up. Even if Oregon is in the NCG, picking a team from Indiana to play a team from the Big-10 in LA doesn't seem to be a good choice to me.
    Couple of things:

-The Fiesta Bowl has to take the Big 12 Champion. If they lose that spot to the championship game, they can take whoever they want (Assuming it's not another conference champion) in that spot. Oklahoma has been there multiple times, thus opening the door for Notre Dame to go.

-The same goes for the Rose Bowl. If they lose Oregon, the game is looking at having the likes of UCLA or Stanford (And they might not even be eligible based on final BCS standings) against the Big 10 opponent. The draw of Notre Dame in the Rose Bowl for the first time since the 20's would be rather appealing.

Assuming it's an Oregon/Kansas State final, Notre Dame's spot will be determined based on what team finishes #1, like Snuffy mentioned.
    Last edited by DiamondDust; November 12th, 2012 at 06:09 PM.

-Bill Belichick

Quote Originally Posted by theballguy View Post
    Assuming your scenario, I don't think the BCS would allow Bama and ND to play. It would likely over-shadow the NCG.
    As been mentioned, it's next to impossible for this match to happen in the Sugar Bowl based on the pecking order.

-Bill Belichick

I do rather suggest everyone read the rules and selection process closely. It will answer a lot of questions:

http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=4819597

-Bill Belichick