Question: BCS Bowl Selections

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Let's say Alabama wins out but everyone else does also or ND has a loss (in this hypothetical they aren't going to the NCG). Could the Sugar negotiate with the other bowls to get a Bama/ND championship?

Let's say Alabama wins out but everyone else does also or ND has a loss (in this hypothetical they aren't going to the NCG). Could the Sugar negotiate with the other bowls to get a Bama/ND championship?
No. No game other than the game being played in Miami at the end of the year will be a championship game. Period.

Alabama could play Notre Dame in the Sugar, but it would be for any championship other than the Sugar Bowl championship.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Not a championship. If Bama and ND were left out, could they negotiate it. Sorry, if my post was vague. Typing on a phone is tedious.

Not a championship. If Bama and ND were left out, could they negotiate it. Sorry, if my post was vague. Typing on a phone is tedious.
Negotiate what? Just playing in the game itself?

The picking order for this year looks like this: Fiesta, Sugar, Orange. If an undefeated Notre Dame team is on the table, you can rest assured the Fiesta Bowl will jump all over them.

Last edited:

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Ok, Oregon and KSU play the NCG. Bama wins SEC an goes to Sugar. ND is an at large BCS. Could the Sugar somehow negotiate with other bowls to get the Bama/ND matchup?

Ok, Oregon and KSU play the NCG. Bama wins SEC an goes to Sugar. ND is an at large BCS. Could the Sugar somehow negotiate with other bowls to get the Bama/ND matchup?
They could, but I seriously doubt the Fiesta Bowl would let Notre Dame get away from them. If Oregon goes to the National Championship, there is also serious talk Notre Dame would end up in the Rose Bowl as a replacement team.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Negotiate what? Just playing in the game itself?

The picking order for this year looks like this: Fiesta, Sugar, Orange. If an undefeated Notre Dame team is on the table, you can rest assured the Fiesta Bowl will jump all over them.
Technically before the designated order the bowl losing the number 1 and 2 teams get to replace them. If it ends like it is now it will be Fiesta then rose. If Oregon ends up 1 and KSU 2 it will be reversed and the Domers will end up in the Rose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
They could, but I seriously doubt the Fiesta Bowl would let Notre Dame get away from them. If Oregon goes to the National Championship, there is also serious talk Notre Dame would end up in the Rose Bowl as a replacement team.
Not so sure. The Fiesta is contractually obligated to the Big-12, if KSU plays in the NCG wouldn't that leave Oklahoma? Since they've already played once this year, I'm not so sure the Fiesta would want a rematch. As far as the Rose, they are obligated to have a Pac-12 vs. Big-10 match up. Even if Oregon is in the NCG, picking a team from Indiana to play a team from the Big-10 in LA doesn't seem to be a good choice to me.

Not so sure. The Fiesta is contractually obligated to the Big-12, if KSU plays in the NCG wouldn't that leave Oklahoma? Since they've already played once this year, I'm not so sure the Fiesta would want a rematch. As far as the Rose, they are obligated to have a Pac-12 vs. Big-10 match up. Even if Oregon is in the NCG, picking a team from Indiana to play a team from the Big-10 in LA doesn't seem to be a good choice to me.
Couple of things:

-The Fiesta Bowl has to take the Big 12 Champion. If they lose that spot to the championship game, they can take whoever they want (Assuming it's not another conference champion) in that spot. Oklahoma has been there multiple times, thus opening the door for Notre Dame to go.

-The same goes for the Rose Bowl. If they lose Oregon, the game is looking at having the likes of UCLA or Stanford (And they might not even be eligible based on final BCS standings) against the Big 10 opponent. The draw of Notre Dame in the Rose Bowl for the first time since the 20's would be rather appealing.

Assuming it's an Oregon/Kansas State final, Notre Dame's spot will be determined based on what team finishes #1, like Snuffy mentioned.

Last edited:

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
Couple of things:

-The Fiesta Bowl has to take the Big 12 Champion. If they lose that spot to the championship game, they can take whoever they want (Assuming it's not another conference champion) in that spot. Oklahoma has been there multiple times, thus opening the door for Notre Dame to go.

-The same goes for the Rose Bowl. If they lose Oregon, the game is looking at having the likes of UCLA or Stanford (And they might not even be eligible based on final BCS standings) against the Big 10 opponent. The draw of Notre Dame in the Rose Bowl for the first time since the 20's would be rather appealing.

Assuming it's an Oregon/Kansas State final, Notre Dame's spot will be determined based on what team finishes #1, like Snuffy mentioned.
You are correct. I read the selection process, and if I understand it correctly (man that thing is complicated), the Fiesta is only obligated to take the Big-12 champ, after which they may select a replacement from any team in the eligibility pool. I also read this and wonder if it may have any affect...
5. After completion of the selection process as described in Paragraph Nos. 1-4, the conferences and Notre Dame may, but are not required to, adjust the pairings taking into consideration the following:

A. whether the same team will be playing in the same bowl game for two consecutive years;
B. whether two teams that played against one another in the regular season will be paired against one another in a bowl game;
C. whether the same two teams will play against each other in a bowl game for two consecutive years; and
D. whether alternative pairings may have greater or lesser appeal to college football fans as measured by expected ticket sales for the bowls and by expected television interest, and the consequent financial impact on ESPN and the bowls.

I wonder if ESPN wanted to match Bama and ND in the Sugar would the Fiesta stand in their way? With all the games yet to be played, it may be a moot point anyway, Bama and ND may meet in the NCG...I hope. :BigA:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.