Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame rizolltizide's Avatar

Re: Auburn stepping up and beating Bama ... possibility?

Poosible. We are awful and have played no one.
    RIP Hub

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation Hall of Fame selmaborntidefan's Avatar
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

It would be the most monumental upset in the history of the Iron Bowl. Despite the hype, there have only be three genuine upsets in this game post-1972. The 1984 game Auburn outsmarted themselves. 2001, Auburn was coming apart & this is not so big as it was then. And Fran mailed in the 2002 game.

It's true that we were number 2 in 1989, but Auburn was 11 and it was the first time there. Hardly a major upset, even though it upset me.
    I'll always look back as I walk away
    This memory will last for eternity
    And all of our tears will be lost in the rain
    Til I find my way back to your arms again

Only a few people in the world have the ability to remember everything. I'm one of them. Pick any day of my life, and I can tell you what I saw or heard.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Tidewater's Avatar
    My Mood
    Brooding on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by theballguy View Post
    This Auburn team is pretty horrendous. I say that with no relish (ok a little bit). However, both teams in the past have stepped up their game for the Iron Bowl in seasons where each was playing well below expectations and blasted the other, killing any title hopes for them. What's the liklihood of this happening?
    It's possible.
    Then again, I could be elected Pope...

Quote Originally Posted by GreatMarch View Post
    I thought that same thing the other day. I sat in BDS freezing to death knowing that I was going to watch us lose. Dubose had already been fired and I swear that *U did not even prepare for the game. Worst football game I have ever sat through.
    Yep,I was there too, till the bitter end. That game was definitely in two mules fighting over a turnip territory
    Hail Mary, Full of Grace, Notre Dame in Second Place, with a made up girlfriend

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

Quote Originally Posted by rizolltizide View Post
    Poosible. We are awful and have played no one.
    Also we are not peaking when everyone else is. I will honestly be surprised if we score again this season

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

-Bertrand Russell

If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they donít have to worry about the answers.

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation All-American theballguy's Avatar
    Behind is in Colorado Springs, heart in Alabama
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by 92tide View Post
    Also we are not peaking when everyone else is. I will honestly be surprised if we score again this season
    Come on now, it's not that bad is it?
    ďI know what it takes to win. If I can sell them on what it takes to win, then we are not going to lose too many football games.Ē - Coach Paul Bryant and I can see Coach Nick Saban agreeing completely.

Come on now, it's not that bad is it?
    Should have added . It's not easy typing on an iPad

-Bertrand Russell

ó Thomas Pynchon

BamaNation Hall of Fame uafan4life's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

This Auburn team is pretty horrendous. I say that with no relish (ok a little bit). However, both teams in the past have stepped up their game for the Iron Bowl in seasons where each was playing well below expectations and blasted the other, killing any title hopes for them. What's the liklihood of this happening? Does anyone know of a season where one team was down so much but somehow mustered enough pride and grit for the day to bring the other one down? Any occurrence that compares to 2-7 Auburn vs a 9-1 Bama team?

If it happened, how would this affect the next year for you? I am a Bama fan through and through and nothing will ever change that but I have to admit it would be very soul crushing. I would avoid Barners for some time afterwards.

People like to say this, a lot, but it really almost never happens.

In the Iron Bowl, the better team almost always wins. Even in 1984 - which is probably the biggest "upset" the Iron Bowl has seen - it wasn't that big of an upset and the barn had no real Championship aspirations. They were 8-3 going into the game, having already lost to Miami, Texas, and Florida. And, yes, Bama was 4-6 heading into the game but the record alone is a bit misleading. We lost 4 of our first 5 games that year. The 6th game of the season is where we kind of turned it around, beating #11 Penn State. The two games we lost between then and the Iron Bowl, to Tennessee and LSU, were by a combined 3 points - 27-28 and 14-16, respectively. We were a much better football team at the end of the season than we were at the beginning.

And in 1972, when the Barn beat Bama to virtually end Bama's shot at a National Championship, they were also 9-1 and a Top 10 team. Of course, even had Bama beaten the Barn, the chances of Bama being awarded a National Championship were slim as an undefeated USC team, which had been ranked #1 since the first week of the season, would most likely have been unanimously crowned as National Champions regardless of whether or not #2 Bama would have won the Iron Bowl.
    I have yet to figure out why common sense and common courtesy are called common.
    - Unknown

I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you've earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money.
    - Thomas Sowell

Bama will probably win....but any SEC team can beat any other SEC team on a given Saturday. I remember the 1993 LSU game. They stopped our 30 game undefeated streak...they had a losing record.
    Bama just needs to jump on Auburn early and often.
    Bama 879-315-44 72.7% On the field

24 SEC CHAMPIONSHIPS

BamaNation First Team AUTigers001's Avatar

There is no way that we upset you guys. No way.

BamaNation First Team

Quote Originally Posted by AUTigers001 View Post
    There is no way that we upset you guys. No way.
    Hmmmmmmmmmm

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I just don't see it. That team is completely demoralized and mailed it in a long time ago. Will they come out hyped? Sure probably so, but one or two things go wrong for them and it is probably over.

BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaMoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rgw View Post
    Auburn could beat Alabama but it would take a horrendous performance on Alabama's part to oblige them. By horrendous, I mean one of the most absolutely sloppy, listless, and unmotivated performances in Alabama history...probably akin to the La-Monroe game in 2007. Fumbles in minus territory, multiple defensive lapses, misses in offensive line assignments. I try to respect every opponent - even Auburn - but this Auburn team could only win against a quality opponent if the other team served it up on silver platter for them. Alabama has motivation for the game though. It can't be a look-ahead game because it is needed to clinch the SECCG berth.

I wouldn't be surprised if Auburn played with some fire and made it sloppy for awhile but Auburn is struggling in too many areas for Alabama not to find enough things to add up to more points than Auburn.
    This is all you need to know right here. We know this game is important because it's for the SECW. No way we are flat.

It would take more Bama breakdowns that a 1970's Ford Pinto for the Barn to upset us!