Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast
    BamaNation All-American

Re: Auburn stepping up and beating Bama ... possibility?

auburn will throw everything at us...including the kitchen sink. they've probably been practicing for us for the last 4 weeks...having mailed in the rest of the season long ago. and don't count out a few leg whips, late hits, and all around thuggery from them...they have nothing to lose.

2. Advertisement

Seriously, watching them against Georgia the other night, Richt did everything he could to not score more than 38. He ran basic running plays the entire second half to eat clock. If Bama runs the ball well in this game, covers Blake, McCalebb and Mason we will win going away. It's that simple. Not turning the ball over would be great too.

Quote Originally Posted by JD95 View Post
    The only one the even comes close in my memory would be 1984 when Bama came into the game assured of a losing season with a 4-6 record. Auburn was ranked and would clinch a trip to the Sugar Bowl with a win, but Bama prevailed 17-15. An Auburn win this year would be a much bigger upset.
    I was at the '84 Iron Bowl-what a game. I'll always love Paul Ott Carruth for his effort that day. Going in there wasn't much hope, but I didn't think we would be blown out. We were not a good team by any means that year, but we had some decent players. Defensively Jon Hand, Biscuit, Randy Rockwell and others were no scrubs-Curt Jarvis played out of his mind that day. So we had a core group of defensive players who could bring it if they were motivated-and we got motivated. The difference with AU's defense this year is that since the LSU game their D has fallen apart in every game against D1 talent for two reasons. First, they are technically unsound and out of position on virtually every play. Second, they've just quit the 2nd half of the season and once you quit it's hard to pick yourself back up and start playing again. Even if the barn wanted to rally and win one last game for Cheezdip (which I'm sure they don't), I don't think their players have the ability in their system to do it. I'd be shocked if this game was close. If we did somehow lose, it would be much worse than 2010, perhaps the worst Iron Bowl loss ever given where AU is right now.

Quote Originally Posted by davefrat View Post
    auburn will throw everything at us...including the kitchen sink. they've probably been practicing for us for the last 4 weeks...having mailed in the rest of the season long ago. and don't count out a few leg whips, late hits, and all around thuggery from them...they have nothing to lose.
    Practicing for us for 4 weeks ? They should have spent a little more time preparing for Georgia IYAM.

BamaNation Hall of Fame cbi1972's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

You know the card in the airplane that says if a crash is imminent, to put your feet on the floor and put your head down? That is what Auburn is doing to prepare for this year's Iron Bowl.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere
    "When a loaf of bread looks like a banquet, I've no right buying tobacco. " - Grandpa Joe

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMan09 View Post
    Practicing for us for 4 weeks ? They should have spent a little more time preparing for Georgia IYAM.
    i honestly don't think they cared about that. the only thing that can in any manner make this season worth living would be beating us.

i honestly don't think they cared about that. the only thing that can in any manner make this season worth living would be beating us.
    So you're saying they purposely tanked the game against Georgia just so they could upset Alabama ? Chizik isn't going to save his job any way you cut it.

I agree. I think they will come out playing the best game they have played all year. And we better be ready for them. This is their bowl game.

BamaNation All-SEC

they better not look ahead....they can lose to Alabama A&M this week.

and no, they will not beat us this season...not a snowball chance.

Is it April Fool's Day already?
    Roll Tide

BamaNation All-American bamaslammer's Avatar

Two comments.

The 84 game was indeed a massive upset, but there are some things to consider. Alabama had face planted the first half of the season but Ray Perkins was no slouch as a coach and they had been improving steadily since mid season. They had already upset Penn State at Bryant Denny stadium, came within one point of beating Tennessee in their stadium. They beat Ole Miss and lost by only two points to LSU. The run game was solid with Ricky Moore and Paul Ott Carruth at running back. Alabama had Cornelius Bennet, Wayne Davis, and Emmanual King at linebacker, Rocky Colburn at DB. Mike Shula was the quarterback and he was clutch if nothing else. It was more of an upset to those who had written Alabama off earlier in the season.

This Auburn team is significantly worse than the 84 team. The biggest problem they have in mounting any upset is they are one dimensional on offense, actually they are no dimensional, they do nothing well. Mettenburger had a big arm and LSU had a powerful running game. Johnny Football is.... well, you all saw him last week, it needs no explanation.

I have no doubt they will show up with some variation of offense and defense they have not shown to date. It might cause us some confusion but I doubt the confusion last long and I don't think it will work because at the end of the day they haven't coached up these players worth a crap and formations won't change that.
    BS 1989

BamaNation All-American

So you're saying they purposely tanked the game against Georgia just so they could upset Alabama ?
    where do you get that from? i'm saying they've probably been spending practice time for the last several weeks specifically focusing on us because they realized their season is a catastrophe and that the only thing that could make it less awful would be beating us. to the typical auburn fan, they'd rather go 3-9 and beat us than go 5-7 and beat georgia and somebody other than bama.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonChuck's Avatar
    My Mood
    Sassy on TideFans.com

I think that Auburn has a decent shot at beating Bama.*

* in women's basketball
    Lucky #13