Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Re: Auburn stepping up and beating Bama ... possibility?

Quote Originally Posted by davefrat View Post
    where do you get that from? i'm saying they've probably been spending practice time for the last several weeks specifically focusing on us because they realized their season is a catastrophe and that the only thing that could make it less awful would be beating us. to the typical auburn fan, they'd rather go 3-9 and beat us than go 5-7 and beat georgia and somebody other than bama.
    Well if it makes you feel any better I would place a serious wager that Alabama has spent some time on Auburn some this season and will likely spend most of this week focusing on them, too. Bama's backups will play most of the game against Western Carolina as it's nothing more than a scrimmage. Next week will obviously be focused on Auburn full time.

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by GreatMarch View Post
    I thought that same thing the other day. I sat in BDS freezing to death knowing that I was going to watch us lose. Dubose had already been fired and I swear that *U did not even prepare for the game. Worst football game I have ever sat through.
    AMEN! Miserable, miserable game.
    RTR

BamaNation First Team CrimSonami's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Possible? Well.......... Yes but highly unlikely.

The ONLY way we're upset by the barn this year is multiple significant injuries prior to or during the game, out of body experiences by the barn special teams and multiple Bama turn overs. I've been around long enough to know anything can happen in this game but I ain't sweatin' this one AT ALL.

RTR!!!

BamaNation All-SEC
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by uafan4life View Post
    People like to say this, a lot, but it really almost never happens. In the Iron Bowl, the better team almost always wins.
    Almost always. What about when it ain't almost always?
    “That issue has gone under the bridge, under the next bridge, over the next dam and is gone.”
    -CNS

BamaNation All-American
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by theballguy View Post
    This Auburn team is pretty horrendous. I say that with no relish (ok a little bit). However, both teams in the past have stepped up their game for the Iron Bowl in seasons where each was playing well below expectations and blasted the other, killing any title hopes for them. What's the liklihood of this happening? Does anyone know of a season where one team was down so much but somehow mustered enough pride and grit for the day to bring the other one down? Any occurrence that compares to 2-7 Auburn vs a 9-1 Bama team?
    If it happened, how would this affect the next year for you? I am a Bama fan through and through and nothing will ever change that but I have to admit it would be very soul crushing. I would avoid Barners for some time afterwards.

Have You let your location cloud your judgement. (Kidding)
    BTW: Do you live near 'The West Ga. Cow College'?
    (I lived near there one year, many yrs ago. Still haven't got the stench out of my nostrils.)

Seriously... The quality football being played would probably be a match for a good
    High School team, but I doubt the Tigers would understand the schemes used by teams
    that play both Offense and Defense.
    Auburn is Bad... make that very bad.
    You have to agree it's lack of coaching when they recruit well, but don't develope
    their players. They still play as individuals.
    Last edited by Ole Man Dan; November 13th, 2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: format

Sounds like someone wants to give the barn team a "Win One for the Chizzer" speach.

BamaNation Hall of Fame CapstoneGrad06's Avatar

Over the last 20 Iron Bowl match-ups, the higher ranked team is 17-3. Those three losses by the higher ranked team were in 1995, 2002, and 2005. Of those three, the games were far more evenly matched that what we'll see next weekend. I've been wrong before, and I'm sure I will be again, but Auburn has shown nothing this season to suggest they can suddenly rise to the occasion and give Alabama a game. They showed no life in a beatdown from their other primary rival, Georgia.
    "Each play has a history and a life of its own. How is that play going to be remembered? If you're focusing on that play and what you have to do that single play, usually you'll do pretty good on it." - Coach Nick Saban

BamaNation Hall of Fame CapstoneGrad06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Man Dan View Post
    Have You let your location cloud your judgement. (Kidding)
    BTW: Do you live near 'The West Ga. Cow College'?
    (I lived near there one year, many yrs ago. Still haven't got the stench out of my nostrils.)

Seriously... The quality football being played would probably be a match for a good
    High School team, but I doubt the Tigers would understand the schemes used by teams
    that play both Offense and Defense.
    Auburn is Bad... make that very bad.
    You have to agree it's lack of coaching when they recruit well, but don't develope
    their players. They still play as individuals.
    I think one loss, to a team no one gave credit to, has clouded so many people's view. Two weeks ago we could beat a NFL team, according to some, now we're in a downward spiral if you listen to some Alabama fans. Maybe we're not as good as we thought, but we're dang sure a team that should run over Auburn and play for a SEC championship.
    "Each play has a history and a life of its own. How is that play going to be remembered? If you're focusing on that play and what you have to do that single play, usually you'll do pretty good on it." - Coach Nick Saban

Not even a little. Lots of hate and frustration to exercise, for 2012 and 2010.

BAMA wins 77-0

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by CapstoneGrad06 View Post
    Over the last 20 Iron Bowl match-ups, the higher ranked team is 17-3. Those three losses by the higher ranked team were in 1995, 2002, and 2005. Of those three, the games were far more evenly matched that what we'll see next weekend. I've been wrong before, and I'm sure I will be again, but Auburn has shown nothing this season to suggest they can suddenly rise to the occasion and give Alabama a game. They showed no life in a beatdown from their other primary rival, Georgia.
    In 1995, well Alabama lost two games that year to the hands of the refs including that Iron Bowl. It was only a mild upset ranking-wise Alabama at #17 and Auburn at #21. Alabama finished 8-3 without a bowl, Auburn 8-4 with a bowl loss.

In 2002, Alabama was 9-2 and Auburn 7-4 entering the game. Alabama finished 10-3 while Auburn finished 9-4. Auburn was coming off a 24-21 loss to Georgia in the previous week and they we're actually playing well after bottoming out against Arkansas mid-season (that 3 point loss to the eventual SEC champion and an OT loss to Florida). Certainly an upset given it was in Bryant-Denny and Alabama had basically played two conference champions to the wire in their losses. Auburn was probably a little better talent-wise than their record.

In 2005, Alabama was 9-1 and Auburn was 8-2 entering the game. Arguably, Auburn had looked better overall that season given Alabama was seemingly getting a miracle each week to win until the dream finally burst in the overtime against LSU the previous week. It is hard to call this an upset considering the teams records were lose close and the relative quality of play each were demonstrating at that point.

So, really 2002 was the only substantial upset even then it kinda reminds one of the TAMU game: Auburn had some tough losses throughout the season and Alabama was their last chance to atone for their miscues that kept them from contending for anything. They were probably a little better than their record. So really it is hard to find an Iron Bowl where the decidedly worse team won. Two of the lower ranked teams that won were pretty close and the other was probably better than their record. Furthermore, this team isn't even in the same ballpark as the 2009 team which gave Alabama a dogfight.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Jessica4Bama's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I just asked my cousin (an Auburn fan) if she wanted to go to the Iron Bowl with me. She said that it wouldn't even be worth the drive because Auburn football is just so pitiful and embarrassing. I'm taking her and their record's word for it. Haha.
    So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. - 2 Corinthians 4:18

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by BamaMan09 View Post
    Well if it makes you feel any better I would place a serious wager that Alabama has spent some time on Auburn some this season and will likely spend most of this week focusing on them, too. Bama's backups will play most of the game against Western Carolina as it's nothing more than a scrimmage. Next week will obviously be focused on Auburn full time.
    i doubt we've spent much if any time preparing for them yet (not that we needed to). maybe this week, but up until now...highly doubtful. that's just not the way coach saban does his game week preparations.

Let me give you one fact....

A&M had 28 points before Auburn had a FIRST DOWN.

This Auburn team is HORRENDOUS.

BAMA's defense is way better than A&Ms. Auburn may not get a first down all night.

I'm serious.