Auburn stepping up and beating Bama ... possibility? (catch-all , barn thread)

Rasputin

Suspended
Apr 15, 2008
Re: Auburn stepping up and beating Bama ... possibility?

This Auburn team is pretty horrendous. I say that with no relish (ok a little bit). However, both teams in the past have stepped up their game for the Iron Bowl in seasons where each was playing well below expectations and blasted the other, killing any title hopes for them. What's the liklihood of this happening? Does anyone know of a season where one team was down so much but somehow mustered enough pride and grit for the day to bring the other one down? Any occurrence that compares to 2-7 Auburn vs a 9-1 Bama team?

If it happened, how would this affect the next year for you? I am a Bama fan through and through and nothing will ever change that but I have to admit it would be very soul crushing. I would avoid Barners for some time afterwards.
Let me be the first to say: MOOOO!!!!

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia

If our bus doesn't make it to the game... No wait forget that, the game is in Tuscaloosa...

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

We lose one game and they have one moral victory against LSU and suddenly they act like they are in the driver's seat in the SEC West. Typical barner logic.
LOL

Don't know where you've seen that but I've never seen the Barners with less confidence than right now. They aren't even sure they can beat A&M....Alabama A&M!!!

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa

Agree with Selma, if we lose, it is the biggest upset at least since the rivalry was renewed, maybe ever. This is saying less about Alabama than it is about them. Things seem badly in disarray in Lee County. I don't see that suddenly turning around in a single week.

Plus, I think our team is going to have the attitude that we owe these guys. Lots of our players were around in 2010 and remember the last game in Tuscaloosa. Add to that the fact that one of the teams above us may have lost by then, and there is going to be renewed incentive to not only win, but do so convincingly.

So, is it possible? Sure. Remotely, and requires a lot of cooperation from us (and maybe a team-wide stomach virus).

jdfindlay

Sep 12, 2012

The 1984 team would have been not have been 4-6 if Kerry Goode had not suffered the season ending knee injury in the Boston College game.The offense was built around him and the coac
hing staff had to go to plan B which was Paul Carruth and others at TB.By the end of that season,they were a very competitive team.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008

Kevin ScAUrbinksy is wanting so bad to pick the barn to win, but even he has to know it ain't happening. If the barn fielding perhaps their worst team ever isn't enough, then how about the fact that we have to beat them to win the SEC West. They have zero, no, nadda, not one SEC win. Why would ANYONE think that we would be their lone SEC victory?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I'm not completely sure on the annals of Auburn football history, but 2012 Auburn may be the worst major conference team in the state since the 1955 Alabama team.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008

Agree with Selma, if we lose, it is the biggest upset in the history of sports. This is saying less about Alabama than it is about them. Things seem badly in disarray in Lee County. I don't see that suddenly turning around in a single week.

Plus, I think our team is going to have the attitude that we owe these guys. Lots of our players were around in 2010 and remember the last game in Tuscaloosa. Add to that the fact that one of the teams above us may have lost by then, and there is going to be renewed incentive to not only win, but do so convincingly.

So, is it possible? Sure. Remotely, and requires a lot of cooperation from us (and maybe a team-wide stomach virus).
FIFY

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008

This Auburn team is pretty horrendous. I say that with no relish (ok a little bit). However, both teams in the past have stepped up their game for the Iron Bowl in seasons where each was playing well below expectations and blasted the other, killing any title hopes for them. What's the liklihood of this happening? Does anyone know of a season where one team was down so much but somehow mustered enough pride and grit for the day to bring the other one down? Any occurrence that compares to 2-7 Auburn vs a 9-1 Bama team?

If it happened, how would this affect the next year for you? I am a Bama fan through and through and nothing will ever change that but I have to admit it would be very soul crushing. I would avoid Barners for some time afterwards.
The dead giveaway is in the line in bold. Classic troll mistake.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA

For persective, Googled top ten college football upsets in history. Nothing remote there. Googled top ten upsets in sports history and the only thing MAYBE in the ballpark of Auburn beating Alabama this year is the US beating the Rooskies in hockey in the '80 Olympics. There may be something comparable in the Old Testament.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

For persective, Googled top ten college football upsets in history. Nothing remote there. Googled top ten upsets in sports history and the only thing MAYBE in the ballpark of Auburn beating Alabama this year is the US beating the Rooskies in hockey in the '80 Olympics. There may be something comparable in the Old Testament.
Namath guaranteeing victory in Super Bowl III.

SeattleBama

All-SEC
Aug 6, 2008
Auburn has never beaten an A&M school

Will Auburn beat Alabama A&M Saturday? History says not. I think they are playing strictly to try and beat BAMA now and A&M smells blood in the water.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL

I guess anything is possible but I don't see a Nick Saban coached team especially this group giving up & that is what it would take.

These kids played hard against a very good team Saturday, and came up a little short. Still the same team IMO & doing their best.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.