Auburn stepping up and beating Bama ... possibility? (catch-all , barn thread)

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
Re: Auburn stepping up and beating Bama ... possibility?

I thought that same thing the other day. I sat in BDS freezing to death knowing that I was going to watch us lose. Dubose had already been fired and I swear that *U did not even prepare for the game. Worst football game I have ever sat through.
AMEN! Miserable, miserable game.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC

Possible? Well.......... Yes but highly unlikely.

The ONLY way we're upset by the barn this year is multiple significant injuries prior to or during the game, out of body experiences by the barn special teams and multiple Bama turn overs. I've been around long enough to know anything can happen in this game but I ain't sweatin' this one AT ALL.

RTR!!!

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

This Auburn team is pretty horrendous. I say that with no relish (ok a little bit). However, both teams in the past have stepped up their game for the Iron Bowl in seasons where each was playing well below expectations and blasted the other, killing any title hopes for them. What's the liklihood of this happening? Does anyone know of a season where one team was down so much but somehow mustered enough pride and grit for the day to bring the other one down? Any occurrence that compares to 2-7 Auburn vs a 9-1 Bama team?
If it happened, how would this affect the next year for you? I am a Bama fan through and through and nothing will ever change that but I have to admit it would be very soul crushing. I would avoid Barners for some time afterwards.

Have You let your location cloud your judgement. ;) (Kidding)
BTW: Do you live near 'The West Ga. Cow College'?
(I lived near there one year, many yrs ago. Still haven't got the stench out of my nostrils.)

Seriously... The quality football being played would probably be a match for a good
High School team, but I doubt the Tigers would understand the schemes used by teams
that play both Offense and Defense.
Auburn is Bad... make that very bad.
You have to agree it's lack of coaching when they recruit well, but don't develope
their players. They still play as individuals.

Last edited:

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009

Sounds like someone wants to give the barn team a "Win One for the Chizzer" speach.

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas

Over the last 20 Iron Bowl match-ups, the higher ranked team is 17-3. Those three losses by the higher ranked team were in 1995, 2002, and 2005. Of those three, the games were far more evenly matched that what we'll see next weekend. I've been wrong before, and I'm sure I will be again, but Auburn has shown nothing this season to suggest they can suddenly rise to the occasion and give Alabama a game. They showed no life in a beatdown from their other primary rival, Georgia.

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas

Have You let your location cloud your judgement. ;) (Kidding)
BTW: Do you live near 'The West Ga. Cow College'?
(I lived near there one year, many yrs ago. Still haven't got the stench out of my nostrils.)

Seriously... The quality football being played would probably be a match for a good
High School team, but I doubt the Tigers would understand the schemes used by teams
that play both Offense and Defense.
Auburn is Bad... make that very bad.
You have to agree it's lack of coaching when they recruit well, but don't develope
their players. They still play as individuals.
I think one loss, to a team no one gave credit to, has clouded so many people's view. Two weeks ago we could beat a NFL team, according to some, now we're in a downward spiral if you listen to some Alabama fans. Maybe we're not as good as we thought, but we're dang sure a team that should run over Auburn and play for a SEC championship.

TexasAggie2002

Nov 12, 2012

Not even a little. Lots of hate and frustration to exercise, for 2012 and 2010.

BAMA wins 77-0

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Over the last 20 Iron Bowl match-ups, the higher ranked team is 17-3. Those three losses by the higher ranked team were in 1995, 2002, and 2005. Of those three, the games were far more evenly matched that what we'll see next weekend. I've been wrong before, and I'm sure I will be again, but Auburn has shown nothing this season to suggest they can suddenly rise to the occasion and give Alabama a game. They showed no life in a beatdown from their other primary rival, Georgia.
In 1995, well Alabama lost two games that year to the hands of the refs including that Iron Bowl. It was only a mild upset ranking-wise Alabama at #17 and Auburn at #21. Alabama finished 8-3 without a bowl, Auburn 8-4 with a bowl loss.

In 2002, Alabama was 9-2 and Auburn 7-4 entering the game. Alabama finished 10-3 while Auburn finished 9-4. Auburn was coming off a 24-21 loss to Georgia in the previous week and they we're actually playing well after bottoming out against Arkansas mid-season (that 3 point loss to the eventual SEC champion and an OT loss to Florida). Certainly an upset given it was in Bryant-Denny and Alabama had basically played two conference champions to the wire in their losses. Auburn was probably a little better talent-wise than their record.

In 2005, Alabama was 9-1 and Auburn was 8-2 entering the game. Arguably, Auburn had looked better overall that season given Alabama was seemingly getting a miracle each week to win until the dream finally burst in the overtime against LSU the previous week. It is hard to call this an upset considering the teams records were lose close and the relative quality of play each were demonstrating at that point.

So, really 2002 was the only substantial upset even then it kinda reminds one of the TAMU game: Auburn had some tough losses throughout the season and Alabama was their last chance to atone for their miscues that kept them from contending for anything. They were probably a little better than their record. So really it is hard to find an Iron Bowl where the decidedly worse team won. Two of the lower ranked teams that won were pretty close and the other was probably better than their record. Furthermore, this team isn't even in the same ballpark as the 2009 team which gave Alabama a dogfight.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama

I just asked my cousin (an Auburn fan) if she wanted to go to the Iron Bowl with me. She said that it wouldn't even be worth the drive because Auburn football is just so pitiful and embarrassing. I'm taking her and their record's word for it. Haha.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA

Well if it makes you feel any better I would place a serious wager that Alabama has spent some time on Auburn some this season and will likely spend most of this week focusing on them, too. Bama's backups will play most of the game against Western Carolina as it's nothing more than a scrimmage. Next week will obviously be focused on Auburn full time.
i doubt we've spent much if any time preparing for them yet (not that we needed to). maybe this week, but up until now...highly doubtful. that's just not the way coach saban does his game week preparations.

TexasAggie2002

Nov 12, 2012

Let me give you one fact....

A&M had 28 points before Auburn had a FIRST DOWN.

This Auburn team is HORRENDOUS.

BAMA's defense is way better than A&Ms. Auburn may not get a first down all night.

I'm serious.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Well if it makes you feel any better I would place a serious wager that Alabama has spent some time on Auburn some this season and will likely spend most of this week focusing on them, too. Bama's backups will play most of the game against Western Carolina as it's nothing more than a scrimmage. Next week will obviously be focused on Auburn full time.
The big thing is that WCU is so bad defensively - even by the FCS standards - that I imagine we may not even see the typical one half of football from the starters. We could probably play the spread option offense with Blake Sims for 45 minutes and still win by a something-in-the-50s to small-number margin. Considering that our offensive problems feel more like an identity crisis than knowledge of the offense, I imagine we not even pass the ball over 15 times Saturday. I know it's a slumpbuster team...but M.O. on what we are offensively can still be ingrained in the player's minds.

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL

Alabama could beat Alabama; Auburn not so much.

This AU team is worse than last year's team, and we know what happened there. Mosley was lost all day. Frazier wasn't any better when coming in. That was last year and from what I've seen of Auburn it has only gone down hill since then. Yes, they gave LSU all they could muster. That was a different team then. I don't know if that game took it all out of them or what. Really that might be the last time an Auburn team has shown up. My Auburn hubbie believes in Wallace, but he didn't do much vs. UGA. I do think he's more talented than Mosley and Frazier though and will be starting vs. Bama.

That said I worry about every single game, yep every single. I worry about mental, emotional, physical. The whole nine yards. Just always been that way come game day. I will be just as nervous on Auburn game day as every other. In fact maybe more nervous because I know the implications if Alabama doesn't win. Even admitting to that I know it would take Alabama self destructing to lose. I just hope they show me quickly that they're not going to do that both this week and next. :)

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009

The big thing is that WCU is so bad defensively - even by the FCS standards - that I imagine we may not even see the typical one half of football from the starters. We could probably play the spread option offense with Blake Sims for 45 minutes and still win by a something-in-the-50s to small-number margin. Considering that our offensive problems feel more like an identity crisis than knowledge of the offense, I imagine we not even pass the ball over 15 times Saturday. I know it's a slumpbuster team...but M.O. on what we are offensively can still be ingrained in the player's minds.
IMO, any players who are dinged up shouldn't even play in this game. I hope we have a big enough lead after a quarter and a half that we get every main starter off the field to avoid injury. That's the only concern I have about games like this. We're going to blow them out. I just don't want any starters injured in a meaningless game. Honestly, we probably will prepare for Auburn and/or Georgia all this week and still show up at Bryant Denny and destroy WCU.

Leeroy

All-SEC
Dec 27, 2005

This still applies.

Roll Tide

KrimsonNinja

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2009
Florida

I usually say stats, rankings and records don't matter in a rivalry game, but this year is different. Auburn is terrible. Alabama should be able to put 40 on them. Georgia completely shut them down and I see Alabama doing the same to the barn.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek

Imo, our loss this past weekend is the worst thing that could've happened to the barn. Had we won, it would have been 2 solid weeks of bcs this and sec champ that. Now, the barn has the opportunity to play spoiler and I think the players will be aware of and us this. It really could get ugly at BDS in 2 weeks...

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008

We lose one game and they have one moral victory against LSU and suddenly they act like they are in the driver's seat in the SEC West. Typical barner logic.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.