Lou Holtz on Nick Saban. Thoughts? (Video)

TheBamaMan

All-SEC
Jul 17, 2000
Dothan, Al
I thought Saban showed plenty of emotion and happiness after the LSU victory. Actually more emotion than I had ever seen from him unless he was chewing someones tail.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
I saw it. It was post game comment. Just chuckled when I heard it. Was kinda surprised at Reese's response question though. Unfortunately Lou gets paid to voice his opinion and be a Domer Homer. Just TIFWIW and move on. He'll have something else for us to critique in the next 2-3 weeks.

RTR!!!

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
No, when someone reads too much into what a commentator is saying, and overreacts to it.
Not sure what there is to read into it - I didn't find his statement to be 'cloaked' at all - pretty obvious meaning.

And yes, Holtz is an idiot. Not just for this, he proves this most every week.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
i haven't watched the video, so is the idea that we lost one game so Saban should retire?
Haven't watched it either but I think that is what he was insinuating. If so, Granny Holtz is nuts! As long as we're winning as much as we are I think Saban is perfectly happy (except for losing the games we have). He wont lose his edge anytime soon.

When he quits bringing in top recruits for years and years and we are not winning, then I'll agree.

Folks might kill me for this but I thought we would be better next year than we are this year. But it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong either.

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Over analyzing after one game (loss) is typical of guys on a sports discussion who get paid to stir up interest. I like Lou, he reminds me of my grandfather years ago. The Game Day guys are entertaining, especially Corso. What they say may not always reflect their true opinions. They may have a role to play for the show to bring various angles to the discussion. Words spoken on their shows will not affect the direction of our program, coaches' decisions, and hopefully not fan confidence.
All that aside, I enjoy the different opinions about their statements brought to the discussion here too.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
I get trying to stir up fanbases to generate discussion but this is just stupid. Holtz is a fool and a well known cheater that got every school he coached at on NCAA probation. ESPN has no business employing this weasel or Lee Corso. They're both washed up punch lines.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Holtz is not saying that one painful loss means a coach should retire.
Holtz is not saying that it is time for Saban to retire.
Holtz is not saying anything that should be construed as he wishes Saban would retire.

These are paranoid interpretations borne of thin skin, and a tendency to hear and believe the worst as a sports fan when it comes to anything pertaining to one's own favorite team.

Holtz is saying that Saban and Alabama are at the point where there is so much pressure to perform that the game is no longer fun, and that it's unhealthy. Now there is plenty of reason to believe he is wrong about this, all you have to do is look at the team's reaction to winning championships, or last week's LSU game. Holtz's bias in favor of teams he used to coach is well-documented and can be seen every single week, but for a thin-skinned fan to say Holtz holds this opinion because of bias says more about the fan than it does about Holtz.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Holtz is saying that Saban and Alabama are at the point where there is so much pressure to perform that the game is no longer fun, and that it's unhealthy. Now there is plenty of reason to believe he is wrong about this, all you have to do is look at the team's reaction to winning championships, or last week's LSU game. Holtz's bias in favor of teams he used to coach is well-documented and can be seen every single week, but for a thin-skinned fan to say Holtz holds this opinion because of bias says more about the fan than it does about Holtz.
This past game is not the Tennessee tie in 93 where we never really came back, but it is similar in that the team was not improving but was trying not to sink, and ultimately did. I believe it is more enjoyable for everyone when your team is not a straight line. Our line just broke and it was probably good medicine. We lost too many players that still had eligibility and we are probably not as good as than we thought. We are rebuilding and it may last through mid season next year before we start to head uphill again with new young talent. It could start like the 2008 season.

While I disagree with Holtz that the end is near, I do agree that some of the amazement with winning has been replaced with expecting it.

jdatide

1st Team
Nov 15, 2007
Carlisle, OH
Oh, goodness gracious, did he not see the joy of last week's victory in Saban's post-game interview? We lose one game against a well prepared, highly motivated team with a great athlete at QB a week after an ultra emotional win over a huge rival, and CNS should retire? Give me a break. I won't be one bit surprised if we mow through the rest of our games and get a couple of breaks and wind up in the BCSNC game again... and win.
Yep :smile:

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007
Granny is a slobbering idiot. He just needs to shut his pie hole.

Done rant

RTR!!!!

bama_wayne1

All-American
Jun 15, 2007
Somebody does an impersonation of Lou Holtz on Rick and Bubba every Friday during the football season. Funny thing is he makes more sense than the real Lou!!!

Boo Radley

All-SEC
Dec 13, 2003
Domus Dulcis Alabamus
Haven't watched Game Day Final since the first showing this season. The Rece, Holtz, and MM shtick got real old, real fast. I found The Experts on ESPNU (Tuesdays) much more to my liking.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.