Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Mood
    Doh on TideFans.com

Re: Lou Holtz on Nick Saban. Thoughts? (Video)

Haven't watched Game Day Final since the first showing this season. The Rece, Holtz, and MM shtick got real old, real fast. I found The Experts on ESPNU (Tuesdays) much more to my liking.

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Speaking of people who need to retire...

My Mood
    BamaVictory on TideFans.com

Didn't get that at all from it. But, as a Coach I can say that I'm having a blast helping "build" our HS program and shape it into something meaningful. I think he has a point to a degree, but he say's stupid stuff all of the time!

Yeah but I also see he has a point. Every person every team will eventually hit that mental wall that takes even more mental energy to sustain the past standard of performance while overcoming the new and greater obstacles laid before you. I think you saw that with AJ last week against LSU - he gave every thing he had in him and then some to get that win. Thus the emotional out pour.

That is where I think we could have done a better job this week. Lessening the burden on AJ to perform and putting more on others to bring the victory home.

My Mood

Quote Originally Posted by JDCrimson View Post
    Yeah but I also see he has a point. Every person every team will eventually hit that mental wall that takes even more mental energy to sustain the past standard of performance while overcoming the new and greater obstacles laid before you. I think you saw that with AJ last week against LSU - he gave every thing he had in him and then some to get that win. Thus the emotional out pour.

That is where I think we could have done a better job this week. Lessening the burden on AJ to perform and putting more on others to bring the victory home.
    And fans are never satisfied in the first place. Winning is great, but my enjoyment and probably most coaches is being involved with working with young people.

Big A Re: Lou Holtz on Nick Saban. Thoughts? (Video)

Quote Originally Posted by Ldlane View Post
    And fans are never satisfied in the first place. Winning is great, but my enjoyment and probably most coaches is being involved with working with young people.

I guess everyone forgot, this years team had a great O line coming back, that was it. Nothing else was even talked about as even close to being championship. This included AJ and EL. We has a couple wideouts have a breakout game in the BCS game, but they were not much of a factor during the season. If this season is not a building season, I am not sure what is. There is nothing maintaing about it from last years team.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpit View Post
    I guess everyone forgot, this years team had a great O line coming back, that was it. Nothing else was even talked about as even close to being championship. This included AJ and EL. We has a couple wideouts have a breakout game in the BCS game, but they were not much of a factor during the season. If this season is not a building season, I am not sure what is. There is nothing maintaing about it from last years team.
    Next season is a building year.

Possibly lose AJ and/or Eddie.

Lose DJ, Warmack, Barrett, and Williams from the OL.

Defensive players that are for sure gone: Nico, Jesse, Quinton Dial, Lester, and Square.

Juniors or RS Sophomores that can leave early: CJ, Dee and Deion Belue.

Next year is going to be the rebuilding season, not this year.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

My Mood

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpit View Post
    I don't think that was the point of the post or what Holtz said.

BamaNation First Team Highway59's Avatar
    My Mood
    Fine on TideFans.com

A closed mouth gathers no feet.......Something Lou should think about.

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonaudio View Post
    Holtz is an idiot.
    ^^^this. No need to say anything else.

My Mood

Well, as a Coach this is what I think Lou is saying and it's true with some of the feelings you have in the profession. I pick this up every once in awhile about CNS, but it's mostly something that many coaches go through emotionally. First, when you're rebuilding you are "creating" and "molding" it is something enjoyable! You lose more than you want, but you know that when the "lightbulb" comes on with your team you are going to have something special. You also "hate" your team (Not personally!). You hate them because they are a reflection of you and what you have created. So when you've built a place on high and you lose a game or you are playing poorly it is YOU! It is because of you and you carry that baggage home and it can become a burden. It can drive some to quit.

I rarely pay attention to him. Really feel bad for Mark May. How much longer has "mayday" got to put up with him. RTR
    User formerly known as "13 4 BAMA soon"

"they didn't stumble in to it, they didn't back in to it, they just whipped Miami 34-13" (Keith Jackson circa 1992-3 National Championship, ABC Sports)

BamaNation All-SEC
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by cbi1972 View Post
    Holtz is not saying that one painful loss means a coach should retire.
    Holtz is not saying that it is time for Saban to retire.
    Holtz is not saying anything that should be construed as he wishes Saban would retire.

These are paranoid interpretations borne of thin skin, and a tendency to hear and believe the worst as a sports fan when it comes to anything pertaining to one's own favorite team.

Holtz is saying that Saban and Alabama are at the point where there is so much pressure to perform that the game is no longer fun, and that it's unhealthy. Now there is plenty of reason to believe he is wrong about this, all you have to do is look at the team's reaction to winning championships, or last week's LSU game. Holtz's bias in favor of teams he used to coach is well-documented and can be seen every single week, but for a thin-skinned fan to say Holtz holds this opinion because of bias says more about the fan than it does about Holtz.
    So we should not take the opportunity to bash Holtz for this? Perish the thought. RTR!!!
    “That issue has gone under the bridge, under the next bridge, over the next dam and is gone.”
    -CNS