Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: The last series of downs.. my take.

From looking at some of your pictures...

AJ should have gone to the left. He could have either gotten out of bounds and avoided the helmet hit or get in the endzone.

Would have liked a throw back to Williams, but I think his man had him covered.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-American Florida Tom's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Coaches took blame for the loss, when you get down 3 touchdowns in one Qtr it's hard to blame a loss on one & even 4 plays.

For the we should have pounded it in group, which I am one of by the way. I find my self needing to remember TJ has fumbled the ball just as we were mounting a drive & Eddie got hit helment to helment & was taken off the field after that.

Maybe the coaches had better information than me & knew of front we just could not pound it in.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by crimsonbleeder View Post
    Very painful to rehash, but ty for doing it. I'll forever as "Why?" and "Who?" about that series. CNS or Nuss needs to answer for that debacle. It was inexcusable.
    Need to answer to WHO? If you're talking about us fans, they don't need to answer to us at all. Last time I checked, CNS was in charge of our football team.
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters." - Alan K. Simpson

The 4th down play was a pick play. Saban even said so himself.
    Correct . I thought it rather obvious as to what was intended .
    "I know there's tremendous expectations here for what you would like to accomplish with this football program . I can tell you that however you feel about it , I have even higher expectations for what we want to accomplish . I want to win every game we play ." - Nick Saban 1/4/07

We've had a great deal of success from inside of 6 or 7 yards this year running the ball. One play in particular that Warmack pulls and flattens the right side. I do not know why that was not tried on 1st, or 3rd downs.

And the reason the 2nd down run was stuffed is because the majority of the 2nd half we were so predictable: pass on first, run on 2nd, less than 3 run, more than 3 pass on 3rd.

BamaNation All-American bamaslammer's Avatar

The way I view this we were cruising for a loss on several levels, such is often the case when in the wake of a National Championship, teams eventually get soft. Nussmeier has got to learn when to use the reazzle dazzle and when to tell the OL the games on you, we are running 4 times for the win. No doubt we win if McElwain is still the OC but we get good coaches because we further their careers, if they never move up what's the motivation? Plus if we win again at the buzzer is the team really focusing TODAY on the reasons they got in trouble. The trouble was coming either way, Statistically Georgia's QB should do worse to use. God help us if we faced Oregon.

Bottom line is we got soft and we are breaking in an new OC. Nussmeir is going to get better and so will the team, fortunately because of how hard the team worked we still have a chance to play for and win the SEC championship. That is no small prize. Plus we have a chance to beat the ever loving stuffing out of the flying-tigers or the tiger-striped-eagles or whatever they are calling themselves down in the pasture at Opelica.
    BS 1989

BamaNation All-American ElkhartTider's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Question Re: The last series of downs.. my take.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamatide44 View Post
    The 4th down play was a pick play. Saban even said so himself. The receiver missed the pick plain and simple. If he would as least grazed the DB a little bit it would have been a TD. Chalk it up to a freshman mistake.

I certainly agree a timeout should have been called on 4th down. We had two and AJ needed his head cleared after taking that hit. This is what I don't understand. If Saban didn't want to leave much time on the clock for JF, milk it down to the end to the 24 sec clock and call a timeout. That would have been around 1:27 for A&M to score.

Even if the same play would have been called after a timeout, they could have at least made sure the receiver understood his role on the play.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCN View Post
    Correct . I thought it rather obvious as to what was intended .

Thanks guys I wasn't aware that Coach Saban did in fact admit this was a pick play...

In both of those images we see that #29 for A&M Everett is the widest DB that A&M has on the field. Are you guys saying Amari Cooper is supposed to pick him? He is already wider than Cooper before Bell motions.. when Bell comes across the formation you can see in the video that Everett widens with him and basically gives up man coverage on Cooper and follows Bell. Cooper follows Everett.. or is running his route.

The only way I can see this working as a pick play is if Cooper runs like a slant to contact #21 who seems to be in man on Bell.. which may have baited Everett to follow him since it seems he was supposed to be covering Cooper. From the way Everett widens with Bell and follows him almost immediately I think instincts just kicked in for him and he made a play.

The way Danielson made it seem on CBS is that Cooper was trying to pick Everett which doesn't make sense. Why would you pick from that spot for that play? He would have 'picked' him right into the play?

Am I misunderstanding something?
    The poster formerly known as "RoLL TiDE 13 26"

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Here are CNS's statements about the last play:

On the play calling on fourth and goal at the two yard line in the fourth quarter:

ďI wish we would have run it, just like you, because passing it didnít work. If we would have run it you would be asking me why we didnít throw it. That is a play that we worked on, it was a pick play, they were in man-to-man. The guy that had the first guy is the guy who took the guy in the flats. They kind of pushed it off. We didnít execute the pick well enough and didnít get the play executed. Iím not going to criticize the call, but Iím like everybody else when it doesnít work, I wish we would have done something else.Ē
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

(In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
    No need in beating yourself up on whata,shoulda, or coulda. It happened and we know what happened. The time is to move on and play the next game.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    Amen.
    If God wanted me to be humble, he would have sent me to Auburn.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Or if TJ Yeldon didn't fumble on a RUNNING play earlier in the 4th quarter. Wait, did I just mention a negative result on a running play? That can't be right.

Let's not act like running plays don't have negative results either.
    how many of the same ones saying we should run more were saying we should pass more last season...thats all i read about Coach McElwain...we need more passing, we need deep routes...

its so easy to be an armchair QB...

I bet if Coach and everyone else watching could do it over again we would run the Power, Jumbo or whatever you want to call it with Jessie 4 times and we would still be in the NC hunt. Maybe luck will be on our side and help us out. With our Oline and tailbacks they could fall forward 4 times and get 6 yards!!!

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamafaninOhiO View Post
    how many of the same ones saying we should run more were saying we should pass more last season...thats all i read about Coach McElwain...we need more passing, we need deep routes...

its so easy to be an armchair QB...
    Posted in one of the many threads dealing with this issue that in 2009 everyone (myself included) complained about Mac calling 3 straight jump-ball passes to Julio against UT. And you're exactly right about the complaints last year.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHSVTider View Post
    I bet if Coach and everyone else watching could do it over again we would run the Power, Jumbo or whatever you want to call it with Jessie 4 times and we would still be in the NC hunt. Maybe luck will be on our side and help us out. With our Oline and tailbacks they could fall forward 4 times and get 6 yards!!!
    They would do it that way because the plays called didn't end well. In the moment, they felt they would work well. They didn't, so now, everyone wants to second guess the call.
    Coach Bryant

BamaNation All-American ElkhartTider's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    Here are CNS's statements about the last play:
    Thanks...

Makes sense as to what Coach is saying. Sounds like Nuss was banking on Everett lining head up or inside shade over his man like a normal man alignment is coached. Bad technique and good instincts may have won the game for A&M! lol
    The poster formerly known as "RoLL TiDE 13 26"