Link: The last series of downs.. my take.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Here are CNS's statements about the last play:

On the play calling on fourth and goal at the two yard line in the fourth quarter:

“I wish we would have run it, just like you, because passing it didn’t work. If we would have run it you would be asking me why we didn’t throw it. That is a play that we worked on, it was a pick play, they were in man-to-man. The guy that had the first guy is the guy who took the guy in the flats. They kind of pushed it off. We didn’t execute the pick well enough and didn’t get the play executed. I’m not going to criticize the call, but I’m like everybody else when it doesn’t work, I wish we would have done something else.”

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
Or if TJ Yeldon didn't fumble on a RUNNING play earlier in the 4th quarter. Wait, did I just mention a negative result on a running play? That can't be right.

Let's not act like running plays don't have negative results either.
how many of the same ones saying we should run more were saying we should pass more last season...thats all i read about Coach McElwain...we need more passing, we need deep routes...

its so easy to be an armchair QB...

BigHSVTider

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 18, 2009
I bet if Coach and everyone else watching could do it over again we would run the Power, Jumbo or whatever you want to call it with Jessie 4 times and we would still be in the NC hunt. Maybe luck will be on our side and help us out. With our Oline and tailbacks they could fall forward 4 times and get 6 yards!!!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
how many of the same ones saying we should run more were saying we should pass more last season...thats all i read about Coach McElwain...we need more passing, we need deep routes...

its so easy to be an armchair QB...
Posted in one of the many threads dealing with this issue that in 2009 everyone (myself included) complained about Mac calling 3 straight jump-ball passes to Julio against UT. And you're exactly right about the complaints last year.
I bet if Coach and everyone else watching could do it over again we would run the Power, Jumbo or whatever you want to call it with Jessie 4 times and we would still be in the NC hunt. Maybe luck will be on our side and help us out. With our Oline and tailbacks they could fall forward 4 times and get 6 yards!!!
They would do it that way because the plays called didn't end well. In the moment, they felt they would work well. They didn't, so now, everyone wants to second guess the call.

ElkhartTider

All-American
Jan 13, 2005
Elkhart, Indiana
Here are CNS's statements about the last play:
Thanks...

Makes sense as to what Coach is saying. Sounds like Nuss was banking on Everett lining head up or inside shade over his man like a normal man alignment is coached. Bad technique and good instincts may have won the game for A&M! lol

ElkhartTider

All-American
Jan 13, 2005
Elkhart, Indiana
Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Folks, we've lost 7 games since since 2008. I know a team down the road that has lost more than that this year. We still have the opportunity to play for an SEC title and if we are fortunate, we may get to play for the whole thing. RTR
No need in beating yourself up on whata,shoulda, or coulda. It happened and we know what happened. The time is to move on and play the next game.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
I'm a coach. I look at film, sometimes depressing film, as a part of my job. I just wanted to look into what happened on these 4 downs. If you don't like it nobobdy forced you to click on it...

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
ET , I thought Cooper had failed to get there allowing the DB to cut under and to the ball . Regardless , a pass higher and more outside still could have been completed even with the failed pick . I felt it was a poorly called series , along with much worse clock management , so I guess the end result was sort of fitting :(

Bamatide44

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 26, 2009
[The way Danielson made it seem on CBS is that Cooper was trying to pick Everett which doesn't make sense. Why would you pick from that spot for that play? He would have 'picked' him right into the play?

Am I misunderstanding something?[/QUOTE]

It's a timing route. Coop has to make that pick! I understand what you're saying but that's the call in the huddle with no room for interpretation. Maybe, just maybe, if AJ's head was not as foggy (I'm guessing), he would have seen the DB a little to close/wide for comfort and aborted the throw. I just think AJ was on auto-pilot because of the vicious hit he took.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.