Link: The last series of downs.. my take.

MBA_99

1st Team
Jan 11, 2010
A, A
Looks like a great analysis. I will be waking up nights wondering why not run Jesse Williams 4 times. If they stop it 3 times, let Jesse throw a pass before you call some crazy crossing play to #7 like that.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Folks, we've lost 7 games since since 2008. I know a team down the road that has lost more than that this year. We still have the opportunity to play for an SEC title and if we are fortunate, we may get to play for the whole thing. RTR

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
No need in beating yourself up on whata,shoulda, or coulda. It happened and we know what happened. The time is to move on and play the next game.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk

jdatide

1st Team
Nov 15, 2007
Carlisle, OH
Probably won't get the four page slobberfest like the in-depth analysis of TJ's TD against LSU, but gotta take the bad with the good. Thanks for posting the info.

Bamatide44

BamaNation Citizen
Jun 26, 2009
The 4th down play was a pick play. Saban even said so himself. The receiver missed the pick plain and simple. If he would as least grazed the DB a little bit it would have been a TD. Chalk it up to a freshman mistake.

I certainly agree a timeout should have been called on 4th down. We had two and AJ needed his head cleared after taking that hit. This is what I don't understand. If Saban didn't want to leave much time on the clock for JF, milk it down to the end to the 24 sec clock and call a timeout. That would have been around 1:27 for A&M to score.

Even if the same play would have been called after a timeout, they could have at least made sure the receiver understood his role on the play.

brian

Scout Team
Nov 7, 2007
Spring Hill, Tn
good information Cody. I was wondering why we just didn't pound on them the entire second half. It was the successful formula for FLA and LSU. It certainly would have taken its toll by that point in the game. Great to meet you and hope you had a safe trip back. Message me the next time you come to a game and you can come over to our rv site and celebrate or drown your sorrows! lol
Roll Tide!

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
Our failure to score that last series and get the comeback win is hard to swallow. Yes there were questions about the play calling there as well as not running more during the game. Unfortunately it was what it was and brings back past painful memories. Like Namath's interception in the endzone in our loss to GA Tech in '62 when we were defending NCs and only a short FG would've won the game. Bear admitted what a stupid call that was. And when we were #1 against Texas in the '65 Orange Bowl and Namath failed to get a 1st down on a 4th and one QB sneak, Bear said that if we couldn't manage to make a yard then we didn't deserve to win. None of that makes this loss any easier when we had the win right in our grasp Saturday. Hopefully our guys will realize how much they still have to play for, and who knows...if they take care of business stranger things have happened.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Quicksilver

1st Team
Mar 13, 2010
Ellicott City, MD
The people who say that we lost because we didn't commit to the run in the second half are correct. The critics of Nussmeier's play calling are correct. The loss to TAM was completely unnecessary, despite "Johnny's" exceptional performance. Give me the case Alabama vs. Nebraska in the 1972 Orange Bowl, and I will tell you that there was nothing we could have done to alter the outcome. The loss last Saturday was nothing like that. Different play calling against the Aggies, different result. End of story.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The people who say that we lost because we didn't commit to the run in the second half are correct. The critics of Nussmeier's play calling are correct. The loss to TAM was completely unnecessary, despite "Johnny's" exceptional performance. Give me the case Alabama vs. Nebraska in the 1972 Orange Bowl, and I will tell you that there was nothing we could have done to alter the outcome. The loss last Saturday was nothing like that. Different play calling against the Aggies, different result. End of story.
Or if TJ Yeldon didn't fumble on a RUNNING play earlier in the 4th quarter. Wait, did I just mention a negative result on a running play? That can't be right.

Let's not act like running plays don't have negative results either.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
From looking at some of your pictures...

AJ should have gone to the left. He could have either gotten out of bounds and avoided the helmet hit or get in the endzone.

Would have liked a throw back to Williams, but I think his man had him covered.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Coaches took blame for the loss, when you get down 3 touchdowns in one Qtr it's hard to blame a loss on one & even 4 plays.

For the we should have pounded it in group, which I am one of by the way. I find my self needing to remember TJ has fumbled the ball just as we were mounting a drive & Eddie got hit helment to helment & was taken off the field after that.

Maybe the coaches had better information than me & knew of front we just could not pound it in.

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS
Very painful to rehash, but ty for doing it. I'll forever as "Why?" and "Who?" about that series. CNS or Nuss needs to answer for that debacle. It was inexcusable.
Need to answer to WHO? If you're talking about us fans, they don't need to answer to us at all. Last time I checked, CNS was in charge of our football team.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
We've had a great deal of success from inside of 6 or 7 yards this year running the ball. One play in particular that Warmack pulls and flattens the right side. I do not know why that was not tried on 1st, or 3rd downs.

And the reason the 2nd down run was stuffed is because the majority of the 2nd half we were so predictable: pass on first, run on 2nd, less than 3 run, more than 3 pass on 3rd.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
The way I view this we were cruising for a loss on several levels, such is often the case when in the wake of a National Championship, teams eventually get soft. Nussmeier has got to learn when to use the reazzle dazzle and when to tell the OL the games on you, we are running 4 times for the win. No doubt we win if McElwain is still the OC but we get good coaches because we further their careers, if they never move up what's the motivation? Plus if we win again at the buzzer is the team really focusing TODAY on the reasons they got in trouble. The trouble was coming either way, Statistically Georgia's QB should do worse to use. God help us if we faced Oregon.

Bottom line is we got soft and we are breaking in an new OC. Nussmeir is going to get better and so will the team, fortunately because of how hard the team worked we still have a chance to play for and win the SEC championship. That is no small prize. Plus we have a chance to beat the ever loving stuffing out of the flying-tigers or the tiger-striped-eagles or whatever they are calling themselves down in the pasture at Opelica.

ElkhartTider

All-American
Jan 13, 2005
Elkhart, Indiana
The 4th down play was a pick play. Saban even said so himself. The receiver missed the pick plain and simple. If he would as least grazed the DB a little bit it would have been a TD. Chalk it up to a freshman mistake.

I certainly agree a timeout should have been called on 4th down. We had two and AJ needed his head cleared after taking that hit. This is what I don't understand. If Saban didn't want to leave much time on the clock for JF, milk it down to the end to the 24 sec clock and call a timeout. That would have been around 1:27 for A&M to score.

Even if the same play would have been called after a timeout, they could have at least made sure the receiver understood his role on the play.
Correct . I thought it rather obvious as to what was intended .

Thanks guys I wasn't aware that Coach Saban did in fact admit this was a pick play...

In both of those images we see that #29 for A&M Everett is the widest DB that A&M has on the field. Are you guys saying Amari Cooper is supposed to pick him? He is already wider than Cooper before Bell motions.. when Bell comes across the formation you can see in the video that Everett widens with him and basically gives up man coverage on Cooper and follows Bell. Cooper follows Everett.. or is running his route.

The only way I can see this working as a pick play is if Cooper runs like a slant to contact #21 who seems to be in man on Bell.. which may have baited Everett to follow him since it seems he was supposed to be covering Cooper. From the way Everett widens with Bell and follows him almost immediately I think instincts just kicked in for him and he made a play.

The way Danielson made it seem on CBS is that Cooper was trying to pick Everett which doesn't make sense. Why would you pick from that spot for that play? He would have 'picked' him right into the play?

Am I misunderstanding something?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.