Question: Do our offensive coaches attend the 1-Back Clinic?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I don't know if McElwain and Nussmeier were at any of those clinics but their philosophy is based in that concept.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Right, of course.

The reason I'm curious is that there's a fair amount of overlap between the Elway/Erickson offense that we run and the Air-Raid offense that Sumlin/Holgo run, which is interesting considering how our fans view the latter.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Especially this year when the lack of a viable threat at H-back, we've truly taken on the 3-WR one-back look as our go-to formation. Even the "2-TE" looks we used a lot in past season is a spread formation in a sense. The H in H-back means hybrid meaning that he can take on a lot of the roles of a tradition fullback while providing the greater downfield passing threat you find in a tight end. Most fullbacks aren't going to be a threat running a shallow cross or a deep post and corner. An H-back will, so it puts an additional constraint on the defense. I think we miss that element this year because any defense cheating their OLBs too far in risk getting a healthy dose of flat routes to the H-back like the 2012 BCSCG for example.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I wish we would run out of the pistol formation more if we're determined to use the 1-Back philosophy..
Heck, I wish we'd run MORE period...but I guess that's been said here over and over.

I like the formation with 3 WR, 1 TE/HB, and a single RB. Just gotta run more - well, heck, there I go saying it again...ugh

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Especially this year when the lack of a viable threat at H-back, we've truly taken on the 3-WR one-back look as our go-to formation. Even the "2-TE" looks we used a lot in past season is a spread formation in a sense. The H in H-back means hybrid meaning that he can take on a lot of the roles of a tradition fullback while providing the greater downfield passing threat you find in a tight end. Most fullbacks aren't going to be a threat running a shallow cross or a deep post and corner. An H-back will, so it puts an additional constraint on the defense. I think we miss that element this year because any defense cheating their OLBs too far in risk getting a healthy dose of flat routes to the H-back like the 2012 BCSCG for example.
And here's some symmetry for you -- one of the "visionaries" of the pro spread offense based around a Y/H look? Mike Price. He was one of the first to adopt it as a base package.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
And here's some symmetry for you -- one of the "visionaries" of the pro spread offense based around a Y/H look? Mike Price. He was one of the first to adopt it as a base package.
I believe Mike Price started this one-back clinic. Part of me wonders how things would have been if Price wasn't a dirty old man spending university money inappropriately. Obviously, I wouldn't trade the two national titles for consistently decent teams since 2003. Though admittedly, Price has fallen off the cliff at UTEP after starting his tenure with a 16-8 record.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yeah, I believe Williams is a third year starter. We knew what we were getting from him since last year. He can catch the ball when the defense falls asleep on him but he isn't a huge consistent factor in the passing attack.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

Yep. Funny how much we had in common with Petrino and John L Smith in terms of that Northwest lineage. Somewhere the line breaks off to the Air Raid, but we've more in common with Holgo and Gundy than we'd like to admit.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.