Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation Second Team TiderInTally's Avatar

NOTICE! Why the Shift in Alabama's Offensive Philosophy?

I do not fully understand what appears to be a (hopefully short-lived) shift in Alabama's offensive philosophy, from a clock-eating, will-to-live-sapping, power running attack, to a pass-first approach. Here is the way the last 2 games break down.

vs. LSU
    52 = total offensive plays (!)
    27 = passing plays (official)
    25 = rushing plays (official)
    30 = passing plays (actual - designed pass plays)*
    22 = rushing plays (actual - excludes "rushing" sacks and QB scrambling)*
    6.1 = yds per pass attempt
    7.2 = yds per RB rush
    4.5% - turnover rate on designed rushing plays
    0.0% - turnover rate on designed passing plays

*Numbers may not be exact.

vs. aTm
    65 = total offensive plays
    34 = passing plays (official)
    31 = rushing plays (official)
    41 = passing plays (actual - designed pass plays)*
    26 = rushing plays (actual - excludes "rushing" sacks and QB scrambling)*
    9.1 = yds per pass attempt
    4.7 = yds per RB rush
    5.8 = yds per E. Lacy rush
    3.8% - turnover rate on designed rushing plays
    4.9% - turnover rate on designed passing plays

*Numbers may not be exact.

Offensive Plays & Time-of-Possession:
    Alabama 65 and 27:33 vs. 77 and 32:27 for aTm
    Alabama 52 plays and 20:45 vs. 85 plays and 39:15 for LSU

So the question is: Why? Is it lack of depth at the RB position? T.J. Yeldon, as exciting as he is to watch, has developed a minor (but disturbing) case of the dropsies. Eddie Lacy has been plagued with nagging injuries all season, and yet has managed to average 13.6 carries per game (vs. 11.4 for T.J. Yeldon). This is in line with other starting RBs in the SEC. But with the injuries to Dee Hart and (more critically) Jalston Fowler, are the coaching staff trying to save him and/or conceal the fact that he is playing hurt?

Looking for ideas here, because this just does not add up. What am I missing?

P.S. At least all the "A.J. for Heisman" nonsense is over.

2. Advertisement
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Re: Why the Shift in Alabama's Offensive Philosophy?

Alabama hasn't changed philosophies. If so, you would see Blake under center with Eddie behind him with TJ on the left and Drake on the right.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

Case of the dropsies: In the LSU game I don't think that was a case of the dropsies. That was A. J.'s fault. Horrible handoff. A. J. needs to look in the mirror on that one. He did not get Yeldon the ball. In the Aggie game, there were several Aggies tugging to get the ball and it came out, so that was Yeldon's fault. I'll take that ONE, because he is a freshman.

You win as a team and you lose as a team. This was a TEAM loss: Offense, Defense and Special Teams!
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, Give me Liberty, or give me Death!" Patrick Henry

Your philosophy has changed, but over the last 5 years not the last 2 weeks. Saban has openly stated that he prefers a balanced offense and a team that is capable of putting points on the board.

I am frustrated over the play calling in the last series from the 6 yard line, but the rest of the play calling in that game put you in a position to win a game against one of the most prolific offenses in college football.

BamaNation First Team bamacpa70's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cloud_9 on TideFans.com

We've lost our offensive identity.

BamaNation All-American 2003TIDE's Avatar
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamacpa70 View Post
    Good thing the football cliches aren't lost

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by bamacpa70 View Post
    Haven't heard that one during all the complaining. Just like many of the other complaints, this one makes no sense.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

(In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

BamaNation All-SEC
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

I prefer balance too but that doesn't mean 50% passing, 50% rushing. I think for us and our talent distribution, this should be more in the area of 55% rushing and 45% passing instead of the opposite. My 2 cents.
    “That issue has gone under the bridge, under the next bridge, over the next dam and is gone.”
    -CNS

BamaNation All-SEC
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Injuries,

Fowler
    Hart
    White

RTR

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by theballguy View Post
    I prefer balance too but that doesn't mean 50% passing, 50% rushing. I think for us and our talent distribution, this should be more in the area of 55% rushing and 45% passing instead of the opposite. My 2 cents.
    Not sure what that means. Looking at our contributing WRs coming out of high school:

Kevin Norwood 4*
    Kenny Bell 4*
    Deandrew White 4* (obviously, he's not playing anymore because of injury)
    Christion Jones 4* DB prospect
    Amari Cooper 4*
    Cyrus Jones 4*

That means all the top WRs are 4*. Our "talent distribution" isn't tilted one way over the other. After all, they've got a 4* QB throwing to them.

The ratings are from Rivals.
    Coach Bryant

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Well, the reason why our number of plays and TOP has been lower is because of the dismal first quarter against A&M (4:00 vs 11:00 for A&M), and our unbelievable 1-for-9 3rd down conversion rate and constant 3-and-outs against LSU in the second half. We aren't changing our offensive philosophy as much as we were just getting beaten. I am sure that our coaches still want to win the TOP battle and run the ball effectively. But, when you are not converting 3rd downs, there is not much you can do. You are going to lose that battle. Also, when you are behind by 20 pts at the start of the 2nd quarter, play calling does change to try to get your team back in the game.

As far as a balanced offense, Coach has said that being balanced is more about being a threat to run or pass on any down and from any place on the field than trying to hit a certain percentage of runs vs. passes.

Quote Originally Posted by kayakerjess View Post
    Well, the reason why our number of plays and TOP has been lower is because of the dismal first quarter against A&M (4:00 vs 11:00 for A&M), and our unbelievable 1-for-9 3rd down conversion rate and constant 3-and-outs against LSU in the second half. We aren't changing our offensive philosophy as much as we were just getting beaten. I am sure that our coaches still want to win the TOP battle and run the ball effectively. But, when you are not converting 3rd downs, there is not much you can do. You are going to lose that battle. Also, when you are behind by 20 pts at the start of the 2nd quarter, play calling does change to try to get your team back in the game.

As far as a balanced offense, Coach has said that being balanced is more about being a threat to run or pass on any down and from any place on the field than trying to hit a certain percentage of runs vs. passes.
    Agreed. Personally, I hate the concept of a "balanced offense." Screw that. Do whatever works. But maybe that's just me.

I wouldn't presume to have any idea why there might be a real or perceived change of direction, but it may have to do with injuries and physical situations of which we, as fans, are simply unaware. Obviously game planning will change based on who's healthy and who isn't and I'm wondering if some of our folks simply cannot go full out for 4 quarters as they may have once been able to do. That's something else first-rate staffs will try to "mask".