Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BamaNation All-American BamaMoon's Avatar

Re: Why the Shift in Alabama's Offensive Philosophy?

Quote Originally Posted by peariver View Post
    I think you answered your question in the last sentence. It is my opinion that when AJ started getting mentioned in the top 5 of the Heisman hype, our offensive scheme changed a little to help feature him a little more and I don't mean that in a bad way. Hind sight is always 20/20, I wouldn't have thought it would have worked out the way it did either and we still should have won both games. Maybe now we will get back to our basics and learn from this in the future.
    Wow. Hadn't thought about it that way, but perhaps you are right. Nuss is a coach that wants to climb the ladder I'm sure and what better way to do so than having your qb win the Heisman in your first year at Alabama! Not saying Nuss got self-centered, but it certainly might have affected his game planning.

FWIW, a few weeks ago, AJ was right in the middle of the discussion and if he would have had a couple 300 yard games down the stretch and maintained his steak of no ints he would have been in a very good place to possibly win it.

Also, had AJ not got injured, we might be talking about how brilliant it was to throw it more because I think without AJ's injuries we're still undefeated and sittin pretty on top!

2. Advertisement
    BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by theballguy View Post
    I prefer balance too but that doesn't mean 50% passing, 50% rushing. I think for us and our talent distribution, this should be more in the area of 55% rushing and 45% passing instead of the opposite. My 2 cents.
    what do they say about hindsight? If the play at the end of the game had worked (and it well could have if it had been executed properly), people wouldnt be saying this...

not long ago, under Jim Mcelwain with Greg McElroy running the offense, every wanted to see a more opened up offense....
    opening up our passing game didnt cause us to lose the game...mistakes and poor execution did

if we had run the ball 4 times and turned it over on downs, everyone would be saying why didnt w pass it?

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by pluckngrit View Post
    yessir. and of course it's just not our fanbase. look at lou holtz's comments. people take losing in different ways. it seems most people (by most people i mean those who post on internet sites and call into national shows) want to throw out the baby with the bath water.

this may sound a bit crazy but after the game i was almost relieved we lost one. you could tell that outside entities were heaping all this unwarranted praise on our program. it's never good when people start comparing your team to an NFL franchise. in just about every instance, the program starts to falter. however our situation is different. we have a very determined bunch who can use this loss as just another stepping stone to reeling off another run of wins. this loss may be a hidden gem for years to come.
    that doesnt sound a bit crazy to me...it sounds a lot crazy.
    Who wants to lose a game so that they dont have any pressures to win?

BamaNation All-SEC
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    I think Fowler would have been in on the play, but not as a ball carrier...
    Agreed, Kelly Johnson is no where near the blocker Fowler is. I would have put in Jesse, and Fowler on the goal line, but the next game I win will be my 1st.

I do think our OC Nuss sometimes reverts back to his Washington play calling days at times. This is just part of his adjustment to the SEC. I think he has really called plays better than CJM up until last week. Even with the injuries, we should be what we are, a power running team.

BamaNation Hall of Fame
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

The thing I disagree about the 20-0 score dictating more pass is that you don't have to abandon the gameplan with 45 minutes remaining. In fact, Alabama got back into the thing - taking a 6-point deficit to halftime - by pounding the ball down the field for two scores. The questions come from why not try to continue exploiting that to start the second half? They got a stop and I expected Alabama to feed Lacy and Yeldon the ball and take control of the game leaving TAMU think how it was only a 3-point game or how they were down 1 after their hot start. Nope, we got another series where we tried to pass it on them and continued that throughout the third quarter when TAMU was practically asking Alabama to seize all the momentum.

BamaNation All-SEC

Quote Originally Posted by mlh View Post
    Agreed. Personally, I hate the concept of a "balanced offense." Screw that. Do whatever works. But maybe that's just me.
    Ironically, a "balanced offense" does work. Look at the aTm offensive numbers and they were balanced too. You have to be able to run and throw at any time or the defense can scheme to stop you if you are predictable. I have no problem with the play calling. AJ has the ability to audible at the LOS if he sees an advantage.
    Bottom line is that their players wanted it more than our players. They made a play and we didn't. Every play the OC calls is designed to score. The result depends on our execution of the play.

BamaNation Second Team TiderInTally's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pluckngrit View Post
    i don't see too much of a difference. about the same amount of runs to pass. when you're behind 20pts in the first quarter, you're going to have to pass a little more.
    One of the differences is the timing of the plays called. If you go back and look at the play-by-play, Alabama did not abandon the run being down 20 in the 1st vs. aTm. Quite the opposite. In all the drives in the first quarter, the offense ran passing plays in atypical passing situations - when NOT "behind the sticks" (2nd and < 10, say). Down 20 with 45 minutes to play, the coaching staff actually went back to the run - until they had to go into the 4-minute offense before halftime. Which, incidentally, was critical in cutting the lead to 6.

Point being, Alabama's offense is more consistent and effective when opponents are getting a healthier dose of road grader. Which makes the early-game pass-first phenomenon (titling the thread as a "shift" in "philosophy" was probably a mistake on my part) all the more mystifying.

And to those who view this thread as a criticism of the staff, let's be clear. I am not second-guessing or Monday-morning quarterbacking. I am sure that there is a perfectly valid reason - probably plenty of valid reasons. CNS does not open a pouch of fresh, moist Red Man Golden Blend without a reason. But for the life of me, I cannot figure it out.

BamaNation Scout Team

A bit late to this party, but anyway.

I was very surprised at the three pass calls from the 6 yard line, since we were mostly successful running on them. Especially on the fourth and one. Pound it in at that point.

I thought those days were over when CJM left. Apparently, those calls are from CNS.

BamaNation All-American Airborne Tider's Avatar
    My Mood
    Hot on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by kapeman View Post
    A bit late to this party, but anyway.

I was very surprised at the three pass calls from the 6 yard line, since we were mostly successful running on them. Especially on the fourth and one. Pound it in at that point.

I thought those days were over when CJM left. Apparently, those calls are from CNS.
    Yep just like the terrible call to pass in the Auburn game in 2009 on the goalline...

It really is amazing. I swear just last week there was a thread near the top of this forum about how much better Nussmeier was in the red zone than CJM. I guess we are the worst about the "what have you done for me lately" mentality...

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
    U.S. Army Pathfinders
    "First In, Last Out"

BamaNation Scout Team

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne Tider View Post
    Yep just like the terrible call to pass in the Auburn game in 2009 on the goalline...

It really is amazing. I swear just last week there was a thread near the top of this forum about how much better Nussmeier was in the red zone than CJM. I guess we are the worst about the "what have you done for me lately" mentality...

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2
    I don't think it has anything to do with a "what-have-you-done-lately" mentality, but a concern about playing against our strong suit.

Call a pass play on 1 or 2 of the four downs inside the 10 and I don't see a problem or any (legitimate) complaints. Where I see a problem, is calling 3 passing plays when our strength is running the ball.

And, until lately, I was thinking that the inside the ten play calling was better than past seasons.

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by kapeman View Post
    I don't think it has anything to do with a "what-have-you-done-lately" mentality, but a concern about playing against our strong suit.

Call a pass play on 1 or 2 of the four downs inside the 10 and I don't see a problem or any (legitimate) complaints. Where I see a problem, is calling 3 passing plays when our strength is running the ball.

And, until lately, I was thinking that the inside the ten play calling was better than past seasons.
    In the last two games, Alabama has had a promising drive end in a fumble on running plays. The one against LSU was a bad exchange. The one against A&M was something that just happens. My point is simple; not all plays work as well as think they will. CNS said after the game he liked the call but would have liked to run since the pass didn't work. The cliche rings true again - hindsight is 20/20.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    In the last two games, Alabama has had a promising drive end in a fumble on running plays. The one against LSU was a bad exchange. The one against A&M was something that just happens. My point is simple; not all plays work as well as think they will. CNS said after the game he liked the call but would have liked to run since the pass didn't work. The cliche rings true again - hindsight is 20/20.
    The one at LSU was on AJ. I put the one on Yeldon with TAMU. It was a clean rip out and he just didn't have the ball secured the way it should have been in heavy traffic...
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. - Ellen Parr"

'If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?' - Steve Jobs

I would rather live my life as if there is a god and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is. Albert Camus

My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

Quote Originally Posted by TIDE-HSV View Post
    The one at LSU was on AJ. I put the one on Yeldon with TAMU. It was a clean rip out and he just didn't have the ball secured the way it should have been in heavy traffic...
    I agree. Point remains that running plays aren't always a guarantee positive result.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    Coach Bryant

Rasuputin's response to my question "What benefit do tablets provide students?"
    (In an old southern trailer park redneck beer in hand marlboro light in other and camoflauge cutoff shorts man's voice) If a tablet was good enough for Moses and the 10 Commandments then by god they are good enough for my children in school today!!!!!!!