Why the Shift in Alabama's Offensive Philosophy?

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
One thing is obvious. This is nowhere near the best offensive line in college football. Maybe top 15.

I do believe the days of the mostly immobile QB are probably over. :BigA:

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
The injuries have everything to do with our play calling. If Fowler is in the lineup, we run the ball in from the 6 and win IMO.
Really??? there is no guarantee that Fowler would be in that series and if he did, who is to say that he would score?

Cooper is better than White when he was a freshmen and its not even close. regardless AJ will still under throw to White as he did Cooper and Bell.

Hart is good but not proven like Yeldon. we had Drake who is bigger than Hart and did not use him either.

pluckngrit

Suspended
Nov 2, 2003
i don't see too much of a difference. about the same amount of runs to pass. when you're behind 20pts in the first quarter, you're going to have to pass a little more.

pluckngrit

Suspended
Nov 2, 2003
is this how we're going to act after EVERY loss? i've never seen so much whining and second guessing coming from our fanbase. why does everyone have to nitpik and think they have the answer to everything?

some of ya'll need to subscribe to coach's 24 hour rule because this loss has drug on all week with some of you. hope the players aren't reading all this.

Airborne Tider

All-American
Aug 2, 2008
Fort Benning
One thing is obvious. This is nowhere near the best offensive line in college football. Maybe top 15.

I do believe the days of the mostly immobile QB are probably over. :BigA:
That's just silly. On both counts. Our offensive line is AT WORST a top 5 o-line.

I do believe there is a shift in QB style happening but it will be more Aaron Rodgers, not Mike Vick. AJ isn't totally immobile either, BUT he is injured.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
That's just silly. On both counts. Our offensive line is AT WORST a top 5 o-line.

I do believe there is a shift in QB style happening but it will be more Aaron Rodgers, not Mike Vick. AJ isn't totally immobile either, BUT he is injured.

Well that's me, definitely silly. Matter of opinion on both counts and I stick with mine.

Airborne Tider

All-American
Aug 2, 2008
Fort Benning
Well that's me, definitely silly. Matter of opinion on both counts and I stick with mine.
Chill out friend not everything is a challenge or a personal attack. However I do challenge you name 14 offensive lines better than ours. Roll Tide to ya.

Airborne Tider

All-American
Aug 2, 2008
Fort Benning
is this how we're going to act after EVERY loss? i've never seen so much whining and second guessing coming from our fanbase. why does everyone have to nitpik and think they have the answer to everything?

some of ya'll need to subscribe to coach's 24 hour rule because this loss has drug on all week with some of you. hope the players aren't reading all this.
I'm with you. One close loss at the end of grueling season and our fanbase is about ready to scrap the philosphy that got us here. Coach Saban will adjust, he always does. I would personally rather Coach Saban focus on not letting TAMU score 20 unanswered points in the 1st quarter next season instead of why we didn't run it on 1st and goal on the 6 yard line. Of course if it had been a passing TD a la "The Drive" then Nuss and Saban are geniuses again. By the way it was passing that even got us in that situation in the first place. Maybe we should blame it on Cochran, Kenny Bell should have outran that guy or powered his way in the end zone. That's a conditioning failure right??:banghead:

Last edited:

pluckngrit

Suspended
Nov 2, 2003
I'm with you. One close lost at the end of grueling season and our fanbase is about ready to scrap the philosphy that got us here. Coach saban will adjust, he alwats does. I would personally rather Coach saban focus on not letting TAMU scored 20 unanswered points in the 1st quarter next season instead of why we didn't run it on 1st and goal on the 6 yard line. Of course if it had been a passing TD a la "The Drive" then Nuss and Saban are geniuses again. By the way it was passing that even got us in that situation in the first place. Maybe we should blame it on Cochran, Kenny Bell should have outran that guy or powered his way in the end zone. That's a conditioning failure right??:banghead:

yessir. and of course it's just not our fanbase. look at lou holtz's comments. people take losing in different ways. it seems most people (by most people i mean those who post on internet sites and call into national shows;)) want to throw out the baby with the bath water.

this may sound a bit crazy but after the game i was almost relieved we lost one. you could tell that outside entities were heaping all this unwarranted praise on our program. it's never good when people start comparing your team to an NFL franchise. in just about every instance, the program starts to falter. however our situation is different. we have a very determined bunch who can use this loss as just another stepping stone to reeling off another run of wins. this loss may be a hidden gem for years to come.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
LSU had injuries at safety so you attack a weakness. TAMU got way up so you try to get back in the game. I'm not sure what the weakness is on the Aggie defense, but I know they've worked on pass coverage in the Big12. AJ had a chance to win a Heisman and take a big step towards a NC Saturday. Maybe he is just a very good QB, but not Superman. Strange that a two yard pass could make that much difference in a career.

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia
I do not fully understand what appears to be a (hopefully short-lived) shift in Alabama's offensive philosophy,
Looking for ideas here, because this just does not add up. What am I missing?

P.S. At least all the "A.J. for Heisman" nonsense is over.
I think you answered your question in the last sentence. It is my opinion that when AJ started getting mentioned in the top 5 of the Heisman hype, our offensive scheme changed a little to help feature him a little more and I don't mean that in a bad way. Hind sight is always 20/20, I wouldn't have thought it would have worked out the way it did either and we still should have won both games. Maybe now we will get back to our basics and learn from this in the future.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Really??? there is no guarantee that Fowler would be in that series and if he did, who is to say that he would score?

Cooper is better than White when he was a freshmen and its not even close. regardless AJ will still under throw to White as he did Cooper and Bell.

Hart is good but not proven like Yeldon. we had Drake who is bigger than Hart and did not use him either.
I certainly do not agree, but your are enititled to your opinion as I am to mine.

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
Well they should have just given it to Jesse. I kid. I haven't posted much since we lost because the threads tend to go one way after a loss. Oh my goodness as Verne says. We've lost 5 games in three years, won 2 NC's and will probably go 12 - 1 and a SEC Championship this year. My, how spoiled we have become. The team and coaches know what went wrong, you can hear it in their voices and see it in their faces. This does a great deal of good for the younger players even though it is killing most of us fans. This became THEIR 2010 season. I worry more about next year when we lose a lot of talent. Rant off.

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa
I think the stats are a little misleading. You have to throw the ball more when you are behind. If we had had a lead in the TA&M game at any point, I think you would have seen a lot more running plays called. Why we did what we did in the last four plays supports your point, however. For some reason, we did not feel confidence in the running game. Ouch. People say it is second guessing, but I for one, would not have second guessed if we had run it four straight times and failed.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
i don't see too much of a difference. about the same amount of runs to pass. when you're behind 20pts in the first quarter, you're going to have to pass a little more.
True to an extent I suppose but if you go back and watch the second quarter we did not abandon the run on the 2 scoring drives that got us back in the game. In fact we ran our offense which strives to be 50-50 run-pass. Either way, if its in our playbook we are supposed to be able to execute it pass or run and we did not. :)

The first and third quarter 3'n'outs is what killed us and I can't understand why we have started out so slow the past 2 games unless its caused by lack of focus or/and intensity, desperation. You have to play 4 quarters against good teams and we just have not the past 2 games.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think you answered your question in the last sentence. It is my opinion that when AJ started getting mentioned in the top 5 of the Heisman hype, our offensive scheme changed a little to help feature him a little more and I don't mean that in a bad way. Hind sight is always 20/20, I wouldn't have thought it would have worked out the way it did either and we still should have won both games. Maybe now we will get back to our basics and learn from this in the future.
Wow. Hadn't thought about it that way, but perhaps you are right. Nuss is a coach that wants to climb the ladder I'm sure and what better way to do so than having your qb win the Heisman in your first year at Alabama! Not saying Nuss got self-centered, but it certainly might have affected his game planning.

FWIW, a few weeks ago, AJ was right in the middle of the discussion and if he would have had a couple 300 yard games down the stretch and maintained his steak of no ints he would have been in a very good place to possibly win it.

Also, had AJ not got injured, we might be talking about how brilliant it was to throw it more because I think without AJ's injuries we're still undefeated and sittin pretty on top!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.